C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77-82 Vette Shopping - Is this a good fit for a big guy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:14 AM
flipflops
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77-82 Vette Shopping - Is this a good fit for a big guy?

Looking at these vettes for my husband. He loves them. My grandfather has one but has been awhile since we have actually been in one. My husband is 6'1 290lbs. Will this be a tight fit for him?
Is this a good weekend cruiser?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm 5'10" and about 280lbs. I fit very comfortably in my 73. My dad was the same height but had quite a few extra pounds and used to race a 68. Just be sure to find one with a tilt and telescoping steering column. It will make getting in and out much easier for a larger guy.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Jonz79
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm 6'1", long legged, 185lbs. My 79 has adequate leg room, but it is fairly snug in the foot well, and my arm has to rest on the arm-pad. If there is a passenger, they have to keep there arms in their lap!
It is snug, not bad but snug. But, I can say that about many other cars of the era as well. My 72 Z28 was just about as tight feeling, and definitely had LESS leg room. The Vette is a comfortable drive, and the T-T wheel definitely helps.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: Visit your grandfather and have your husband get in and out of the Corvette three or four times.
The following users liked this post:
jim in oregon (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 01:08 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by flipflops
Looking at these vettes for my husband. He loves them. My grandfather has one but has been awhile since we have actually been in one. My husband is 6'1 290lbs. Will this be a tight fit for him?
Is this a good weekend cruiser?
I own drive a '78..Has tilt-telescoping steering wheel.Bit different seat design than the 80,81,82 C3 I believe..

I'M 6'1 180#s..not packing much midrift weight or in my butt..
The seats in mine are comfortable for me..but at my age, every hour or two with ANY car or truck..I like to stop, stretch my legs a bit before driving on.

One thing I learned early on is how to get into and out of the car properly..
One doesn't just step inside and hop in and slide down the seat back..

One sits down on the seat with back bent forward so his butt is as far in-on the seat bottom as possible.
With door wide open and BOTH feet on the ground.
Then swivels the butt on the seat bottom and then one at a time brings the legs in.

Make sure the seat is adjusted back for best clearance..THEN carefully bring your head in to clear the top without bumping your head.
PULL and adjust-fasten the seat belt, adjust steering wheel, mirrors as req'd.

Getting out is the reverse..other than your head is last to exit the car..

Always be attentive with seat belts so you don't slam them in the door after exiting..That gets them grimy and also can mar the paint on the inner door and door frame..
IF one has the t tops off it gives more head romm while getting in/out as well as when driving..IF he likes wearing a 10x western style Stetson..He probably wont wear it when driving a vette of C3 vintage..although I think JR Ewing in that old show DALLAS drove a black '78..Jim
Old 07-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Oldriceguy
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

As has been mentioned above getting in and out of our cars takes a little finesse, but once in and situated my 77 is very comfortable. I'm 5' 10" 220# and 66 years old. I just got home from a 2 hour drive in mine and feel fine. I really like driving it. The tight pedal area is a bit of a problem for big feet, but that just gave me an excuse to get a pair of "driving shoes" i.e. ones that don't have protruding soles that catch the brake pedal when coming off the gas pedal.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:25 PM
76C3forme
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

6'2" 210lbs - Pretty comfy here in the '76
Old 07-08-2016, 05:45 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 76C3forme
6'2" 210lbs - Pretty comfy here in the '76
I have also heard that the glass t-tops offer a bit more head room..tho I don't have those for mine..
MY youngest son Caleb is 6'3..260#..a real big teddy bear of a young man..
I had to take the driver's side T TOP OFF for him to be able to get into my '78 and drive it..even after I schooled him on how to properly get into and out of the car..

He's a certified Conductor for Union Pacific Rail..and normally drives a 97 F350 turboed diesel..truck..when he's not on or off a big SD90 engine at work on the road..

Thankfully our insurance doesn't cover anyone by my wife or I driving the old gal so it's not a concern for us..Jim
Old 07-08-2016, 05:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I am 6 foot 2 and haven't been on a scales in a decade or so but I guess I weigh somewhere between 220 240, I am all monkey armed long legged and look a lot like the Patterson film bigfoot...

I have owned vettes since I was 16 along with all kinds of little kit cars that people said I wouldn't fit in and yet I daily drove,

I find the vette "cozy" I fit into it not roomy like the xterra,
I wear big clunky boots and normally drive bare or sock footed because I will hit more than one pedal,

Some cats would find a c3 very cramped and claustrophobic others would be like me and dig the fit and feel,

I wouldn't want a c3 without side pipes but they do making getting in and out more acrobatic

Might be best before paying for a car he hates that he does like mike suggested try on a few....
Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
FWIW: Visit your grandfather and have your husband get in and out of the Corvette three or four times.
YES as Easy Mike says..IF possible have him visit grandfather and see how it feels for him to get in and out and drive the C3..That'd be good..

What year is the GF's C3? Manual or auto trans..?Having to deal with the clutch on a manual tranny and shifting gears requires a bit more coordination and flexibility..which is why many like the automatics..

Last small detail I'd offer is IF you look at a C3 for sale make sure the door hold open "S" springs Work..or plan on replacing them..(WHICH costs 10 minutes and 10.00 IF you know how to do it!)Jim
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Its goiing to be a tight fit for him these were made for smaller guys all of em. The door panel will become friendly with his knees shoulders and head

If he really digs it he will find a way around it.

Look into the sport vega GT or an 81-2 Z28 wheel

Last edited by cv67; 07-09-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

6'3" 275 here.
Tilt/tele makes a world of difference. If headroom is a problem, the Astrotop gives another 2-3".
Old 07-09-2016, 12:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

No. He won't be "comfortable". But, if he loves having a C3 a lot, he will tolerate the discomfort. If you don't have a 6-way power seat and a tilt/tele steering wheel in the car, it's a NO-GO for a guy his size.

{just trying to be honest, here....}
Old 07-09-2016, 10:02 AM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
No. He won't be "comfortable". But, if he loves having a C3 a lot, he will tolerate the discomfort. If you don't have a 6-way power seat and a tilt/tele steering wheel in the car, it's a NO-GO for a guy his size.

{just trying to be honest, here....}
SO, what happened to the original poster?..Jim
Old 07-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

A 6'1", 300lb man will definitely not fit comfortably in a C3
Old 07-09-2016, 04:03 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

6'6" here, I have owned 5 Corvettes, currently own a '71 Convertible (never drive with top up).
When I was younger it seemed cramped, but I overlooked it, because of the fun factor/desire to own/drive a Corvette.
Now at 60, the fun factor isn't as great, and it sure seems a lot harder to get in and out (forget about being comfortable).
None of my Corvettes had tilt/tele.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:07 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont know why they cant make them atouch bigger
Used to seem I could tolerate it til i drove something bigger then hopping in for a Sun cruise it was disappointing. Guess you really gotta like em

Get notified of new replies

To 77-82 Vette Shopping - Is this a good fit for a big guy?

Old 07-09-2016, 05:30 PM
Giant_Robot
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My honest answer: No.

Coming from the veiwpoint of a "other daily driven" 1977. I have driven my car about 3 days a week for the last 3 years..thousands of miles have been put on it.

I am 6ft 180, my answer for myself or anyone my size is a "maybe Yes" (body shapes are all different torso/legs/giant head?), but any bigger than I am would be uncomfortable to be in the car, for the view out the windshield alone and having to lean forward/neck tilt back.. It would become a safety issue at this point, unless you just leave it parked in the garage all the time, some like to do that for some reason..

I beleive that a lot of the yes's here must have modded seats/removed sliding seat rails, granted a legitimate fix for height/veiw.. And/or lying to themselves to feel and sleep better about their choice/purchase.. Which is psychological and I have no advice for that. No offense to the Yes men.

Note, the sticker says recommended total weight capacity : 450lbs. (Both passengers and luggage)

Pro tip:
Try before you buy.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:00 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Giant_Robot
My honest answer: No.

Coming from the veiwpoint of a "other daily driven" 1977. I have driven my car about 3 days a week for the last 3 years..thousands of miles have been put on it.

I am 6ft 180, my answer for myself or anyone my size is a "maybe Yes" (body shapes are all different torso/legs/giant head?), but any bigger than I am would be uncomfortable to be in the car, for the view out the windshield alone and having to lean forward/neck tilt back.. It would become a safety issue at this point, unless you just leave it parked in the garage all the time, some like to do that for some reason..

I beleive that a lot of the yes's here must have modded seats/removed sliding seat rails, granted a legitimate fix for height/veiw.. And/or lying to themselves to feel and sleep better about their choice/purchase.. Which is psychological and I have no advice for that. No offense to the Yes men.

Note, the sticker says recommended total weight capacity : 450lbs. (Both passengers and luggage)

Pro tip:
Try before you buy.
THAT'S as fair and as honest a reply to the op's original question..as any..

Still no word yet back from the OP on IF her husband actually tried the Grandfather's C3..??

I've met men who were pushing upper end of 200+pounds and were over 6' tall who were comfortably wearing 36 waist jeans and a 50" jacket size..Not much fat in butt or midriff..Toned muscle weighs more than chub..
Then there's those who would need a seat belt extension to buckle up properly and who cannot touch their toes in the last 30 years..the corvette is not a car they could get in or out of comfortably nor drive enjoyably..Jim
Old 07-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Giant_Robot
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Relevant.

Quick Reply: 77-82 Vette Shopping - Is this a good fit for a big guy?