C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke college student '77 build thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:07 PM
jrs 427
CF Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

GREAT thread. With all the prior coats of paint your car must have " grown " a bit. Love your white interior. It looks fantastic. My wife wants her 75 convert. painted. Maybe the black interior will be changed to white also.
Work enthusiasm is right up there. Reminds me of being 16, bought a 58 MGA roadster with a bad engine. Rebuilt the engine, painted it and sold for enough for what I wanted, a 57 Chev two door hardtop. Another deal with a bad engine. Bought a slightly used 283, installed and timed it proving to be a great dependable car.
Your C-3 will be nice transportation when finished. Most of us never have the time to get enough driving miles.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:45 PM
rgwoehr
CF Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum View Post
Just catching up on your thread.
Lots of nice work.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Tripower delight View Post
I know its kind of late to tell you this but they make a pressure washer using water that strips leyer by layer of paint its up to you how much you wanna take off. I seen it advertise on the car cannels
I'll be painting again at some point. Probably just gonna use the razor blade method or sand it again though

Originally Posted by jrs 427 View Post
GREAT thread. With all the prior coats of paint your car must have " grown " a bit. Love your white interior. It looks fantastic. My wife wants her 75 convert. painted. Maybe the black interior will be changed to white also.
Work enthusiasm is right up there. Reminds me of being 16, bought a 58 MGA roadster with a bad engine. Rebuilt the engine, painted it and sold for enough for what I wanted, a 57 Chev two door hardtop. Another deal with a bad engine. Bought a slightly used 283, installed and timed it proving to be a great dependable car.
Your C-3 will be nice transportation when finished. Most of us never have the time to get enough driving miles.
Thanks. The white does look nice, the only thing that sucks is it's a major pain to keep clean. I was actually thinking about changing the color to something else last week, but then I looked at the white again and decided to just deal with it. I gotta figure out a way to salvage those seat covers though. It's so hard to clean them without rubbing through the dye. I'm hoping to get this car back to a point where I feel comfortable driving it at least once a week again, and I think I'm pretty close.

Today I made new center console side panels. I used the old ones as templates, cut them out with a jigsaw, sanded them, sprayed them down with water, and installed them. I had read elsewhere on the forum that the water helped it retain the shape. We'll see. I cut them oversize and did many test fits to get them to fit right. I'm pretty happy with them. Also I found some interior screws to use on these instead of the long wood screws used by someone in the past. If they hold their shapes well enough, I'll go buy some vinyl and spray them to match the rest of the interior. If anyone else is gonna try this, the clamps are pointless. I was hoping I could get some pressure a bit lower on the sides to get a better shape, but the clamps just slide right off when you apply any pressure. The other post I read said the screws were enough, so I'll hope for the best.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:19 PM
rgwoehr
CF Senior Member

I havenít done much to the vette in the last month. We had one day where the weather was nice and the roads had been washed by rain, so I drove it to work that day. I havenít wanted to spend any money on hobbies lately because Iím in the process of buying a house. If all goes well, Iíll close on that at the end of the month. I probably wonít be doing much to the vette for a while after that, but at least Iíve got it to a point where itís nice to drive.

Today I needed something to do to keep my mind off the house stuff, so I decided to paint the air cleaner. I started that a while back but the spray cans I had were dead and I just left it alone. First I tried to thin out my rustoleum enough to brush on without getting horrible brush strokes, but that didnít work well so I just stripped it down again and sprayed it with the spray gun. I have some touch up to do but Iím pretty happy with the results.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:55 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwoehr View Post
I havenít done much to the vette in the last month. We had one day where the weather was nice and the roads had been washed by rain, so I drove it to work that day. I havenít wanted to spend any money on hobbies lately because Iím in the process of buying a house. If all goes well, Iíll close on that at the end of the month. I probably wonít be doing much to the vette for a while after that, but at least Iíve got it to a point where itís nice to drive.

Today I needed something to do to keep my mind off the house stuff, so I decided to paint the air cleaner. I started that a while back but the spray cans I had were dead and I just left it alone. First I tried to thin out my rustoleum enough to brush on without getting horrible brush strokes, but that didnít work well so I just stripped it down again and sprayed it with the spray gun. I have some touch up to do but Iím pretty happy with the results.

Vette things are looking great, good luck with the house. Enjoy !
The following users liked this post:
rgwoehr (03-09-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 PM
rgwoehr
CF Senior Member

I reassembled the air cleaner today and put that back on the car. There was a bit of touchup that needed to be done but overall I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. Then I changed the front brake pads and took it out for a test drive. I almost skipped changing the brake pads after taking the first one out, but I'm glad I did it because one of the ones on the other side was almost down to the rivets on one corner. They were all worn pretty unevenly, which I'm guessing means the calipers need some work, but the car stops and the brakes don't leak so I'll leave those alone for now.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:27 AM
OldCarBum
CF Senior Member

Received 435 Likes on 366 Posts

Looks good
The following users liked this post:
rgwoehr (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:05 PM
C3 4ME
CF Senior Member

Received 150 Likes on 144 Posts

Air cleaner looks nice! Glad you've gotten a little seat time lately too.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Sabre34
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 359 Likes on 344 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-Ď18-'19

Looks great! I enjoy watching your progress!
Old 04-18-2019, 02:39 PM
rgwoehr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by C3 4ME View Post
Air cleaner looks nice! Glad you've gotten a little seat time lately too.
Originally Posted by Sabre34 View Post
Looks great! I enjoy watching your progress!
Thanks guys.

I closed on the house almost a month ago and my dad and I have been working on that every weekend. Just moved in last weekend but still need to get the vette over there so I can drive it more often. The weather has been pretty nice lately and I donít want to miss out on the nice corvette weather before it starts getting hot and humid again. Iíve been a little hesitant to park it in my garage because thereís a bunch of termite damage and the repairs that have been done to it seem a bit sketchy, but weíve had some strong winds and itís still standing so I guess itís not as bad as it seems. But Iím hoping I can either repair or replace that thing within a year or two.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 PM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 825 Likes on 745 Posts

The engine bay looks great. Keep at it (and tell me to do the same!).
Old 04-26-2019, 08:11 AM
rgwoehr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
The engine bay looks great. Keep at it (and tell me to do the same!).
Thanks. Glad to see your car is at the painter
Old 05-14-2019, 12:37 PM
rgwoehr
CF Senior Member

We pulled my uncles vette from the guy that was doing the bodywork on it for the last 3.5 years and got the car out here a couple weeks ago. Just for fun, I decided to take his passenger side T top and put it on my car to see if it fit better than mine. His fit great, mine not so much. Now I need to figure out what’s wrong with mine because I can’t adjust it any better than the photo below.

Last time these cars were together was October of 2015, right before my uncle and I dropped his car off for bodywork.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:51 PM
M4A3E2
CF Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If I remember correctly, the t-tops are 3 or 4 pieces. Make sure that everything is glued/velcroed/whatevered together well. Mine are starting to gap up a bit.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwoehr View Post
We pulled my uncles vette from the guy that was doing the bodywork on it for the last 3.5 years and got the car out here a couple weeks ago. Just for fun, I decided to take his passenger side T top and put it on my car to see if it fit better than mine. His fit great, mine not so much. Now I need to figure out whatís wrong with mine because I canít adjust it any better than the photo below.

Last time these cars were together was October of 2015, right before my uncle and I dropped his car off for bodywork.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-aim-77-82.pdf
Old 05-14-2019, 03:37 PM
hicswa
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What did you spray it with? Is that semi gloss black?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 PM
rgwoehr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by M4A3E2 View Post
If I remember correctly, the t-tops are 3 or 4 pieces. Make sure that everything is glued/velcroed/whatevered together well. Mine are starting to gap up a bit.
Thanks. I’ve tried messing with the adjustment several times but it just won’t move any further in. I think the weatherstripping might be getting in the way because it doesn’t seem to be installed right. It doesn’t sit on top of the stainless trim like I’m guessing it’s supposed to. It just bunches up along the side of it and doesn’t seal.

Originally Posted by hicswa View Post
What did you spray it with? Is that semi gloss black?
If you’re referring to the air cleaner, I used rustoleum high heat BBQ paint. I bought a quart and thinned some of it and sprayed it with a spray gun. I think it’s satin.

Last edited by rgwoehr; 05-14-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 PM
rgwoehr
CF Senior Member

Iíve been driving the car a lot lately. I noticed in certain angles in the sun, I could see a bunch of little lines that I thought were just sanding marks that were too deep for the paint to fill. I pulled it into the garage today and the light caught it at the right angle and I saw that they were actually cracks. I think these are pretty new because I donít remember seeing them when I polished the car last year. Pretty annoying but not shocking considering all the other flaws in the paint. Hopefully in a few years Iíll be in a position to repaint the car with better tools and materials.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broke college student '77 build thread

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: