Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke college student '77 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Man... I wish I had your energy for getting things done. I just read the whole thread and you have been very busy.
I will caution you to not burn yourself out with fixing the thing, take some time this summer to drive the car around and enjoy.....

Thumbs up to you bud
Old 07-16-2016, 01:22 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 295 Posts

Thanks sstocker. The only time I remember feeling burnt out was during the engine swap. I did most of the work myself within a week, and I think I worked on it until 11pm a couple times. I took a few weeks off after that. I've driven it a bunch this summer, but not as much lately because it's been hot and the AC doesn't work.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:37 PM
tyrant
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

Great work! Looking forward to see your paint go on.
The following users liked this post:
rgwoehr (07-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 07:24 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

This is the part that makes me wish I had bought a 79. Fortunately they didn't bother with primer up there.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:13 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Did about 7 hours of sanding today, but it doesn't really look like I did that much. I finished up sanding above the back window (both on the top and bottom of that panel), took off most of what was left of the purple paint in the hard to sand areas on the fenders, and did a little bit of sanding on the hood that I've been putting off. I've still got plenty of stuff I need to do by hand with the 80 grit; I could see myself spending all day tomorrow doing that. So far I've got 18 hours into sanding.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwoehr
This is the part that makes me wish I had bought a 79.
Nah you did good getting the "sugar scoop" 'Vette. When I was looking for my car it absolutley positively had to be a '77 or older, because I wanted the flat back glass. I knew a guy over thirty years ago in high school with a '68-'72 'Vette, and I remembered the rear glass being removable; I have always wanted one ever since! I found a removeable rear window from an early car before I even took delivery of mine, got a good deal from a forum member here. He even shipped it latched in the cut off roof of the donor car! With the tops off, side windows down, and back glass removed, it is very much like a convertible.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:52 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
Nah you did good getting the "sugar scoop" 'Vette. When I was looking for my car it absolutley positively had to be a '77 or older, because I wanted the flat back glass. I knew a guy over thirty years ago in high school with a '68-'72 'Vette, and I remembered the rear glass being removable; I have always wanted one ever since! I found a removeable rear window from an early car before I even took delivery of mine, got a good deal from a forum member here. He even shipped it latched in the cut off roof of the donor car! With the tops off, side windows down, and back glass removed, it is very much like a convertible.
Yeah, I prefer the '77 and older look, and I like the old school look of the interior, so I don't regret my decision. The removeable rear window mod is something I might do someday. I need a new window anyway; someone tinted it and then scraped most of the tint off which destroyed all the defroster lines.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Paint and body work is the worst for me....

I once had a Porsche 928S that, much like your C3, had been painted about 5 times and the paint was thick as heck and looked terrible... of course this is one of the reasons I could afford to buy that car in the first place.

I was lucky that I was able to use a pressure washer to get under some of loose paint and it peeled most of it right off.... reduced much of my sanding time. Car actually came out looking great when I was done.

You really are doing some great work. Keep at it. In the end it'll be worth it.
Will
Old 07-18-2016, 01:30 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Thanks Will. Im not really enjoying this part of the project, but I wouldn't have been able to afford this car if the paint was still nice. I keep trying to remind myself that the end result will be worth the effort, and that I'm saving a lot of money by doing the work myself. The 80 grit stage is taking forever, but I think the next 3 stages will go faster because I won't be trying to remove so much material. I wish I could have used a pressure washer but that paint seemed to have a pretty strong bond in most areas. I don't think it would have done much.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

I went out and started working on the area behind the back window. Not sure what these panels are supposed to be called. I ended up getting the razor blade and heat gun out and scraped what I could off. It seemed to go much faster than it would have if I had tried to sand that stuff down.

I was going to order some vette panel adhesive from summit, which I would have got by Wednesday, but I forgot that I live in the People's Republic of California, where no good products can be shipped because they might cause cancer. I have to find another place to get it, and doubt I'll see it this week. I was pretty sure I would be ready to paint by this weekend, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen now unless I can find it locally.

Last edited by rgwoehr; 07-19-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:18 AM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

...<---SNIP--->
I was going to order some vette panel adhesive from summit, which I would have got by Wednesday, but I forgot that I live in the People's Republic of California, where no good products can be shipped because they might cause cancer... <---SNIP--->
You're making great progress! And I am sure you can find a locally-grown, tofu-based, cruelty-free Corvette panel adhesive.

Keep them updates coming.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:39 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CFLVette
You're making great progress! And I am sure you can find a locally-grown, tofu-based, cruelty-free Corvette panel adhesive.

Keep them updates coming.

I was able to find some VPA locally, unfortunately they didn't have anymore of the tofu-based kind.

Pretty much finished this area today, and finished what little was left to do on the doors. I have a little more work to do on the hood, and then I think I'll be ready to move on to the 180 grit sandpaper.
Richard Daugird (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 07:08 AM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I was able to find some VPA locally, unfortunately they didn't have anymore of the tofu-based kind.

"Organic. Hippie-Approved." LOL.

I've been sanding my firewall taking advantage that the motor is out for a rebuild. Sanding gets old quick!

Not that you want more stuff to do, but how come you did not remove the rear glass? Doing so would allow you to really prep and clean up that area well before paint.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 AM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Yeah sanding does get old really fast. I'm really tired of doing it but now I have to finish the job. Removing the window would have made it much easier to get rid of that purple paint back there, and I thought about doing it, but I guess I just didn't feel like it
Old 07-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I prefer the '77 and older look, and I like the old school look of the interior, so I don't regret my decision. The removeable rear window mod is something I might do someday. I need a new window anyway; someone tinted it and then scraped most of the tint off which destroyed all the defroster lines.
Removable rear window is probably not in your budget at this time, so if you want my old window you are welcome to it for the cost of shipping. No defroster.
KYC4 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

That is awesome!It's damn refreshing to see a youngster(college student no less)in Kommieforneea who's not a liberal leftie.

Keep it up, this is probably the most miserable job you will ever have to do on your car, it is also the one that in the end will be the most rewarding. Bright shiny 'Vettes are chick magnets! Hope to see you move down here the the wonderful country of Texas!
Arg0413 (02-13-2022)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Removable rear window is probably not in your budget at this time, so if you want my old window you are welcome to it for the cost of shipping. No defroster.
That is awesome!It's damn refreshing to see a youngster(college student no less)in Kommieforneea who's not a liberal leftie.

Keep it up, this is probably the most miserable job you will ever have to do on your car, it is also the one that in the end will be the most rewarding. Bright shiny 'Vettes are chick magnets! Hope to see you move down here the the wonderful country of Texas!
Thanks Richard. I'll shoot you a PM. And yeah, I'm definitely a minority in this state. It kind of sounds like a lot of Californians are leaving and going to places like Texas, and I'm concerned that they'll move to those places and vote the same way they do in CA and turn them into the overpriced and over-regulated ****hole they left, because they don't understand why CA is that way. I may not be the most conservative person in the world, but I'll be voting as if I am when I move to Texas.

And yes, this is a very miserable job. I sorta wish I hadn't even started. I went out there and did a little bit of sanding today for maybe an hour and a half, but just couldn't find the motivation to continue. I found out that my plan to go from 80 grit to 180 grit was a bad idea; it's just too big of a jump. I'll have to go get more sandpaper tomorrow. My new plan is this: 80, 100, 150, 180, 220, 240, and 320. I really hope I can finish sanding by the end of the weekend, but I'm gonna try to stop thinking about being done and just focus on what I'm doing (easier said than done).

Get notified of new replies

To Broke college student '77 build thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

when you finally get the paint job all done it will be worth it! I hate to tell you, but once you finish this round of sanding, then comes the wet sanding your paint! At least that you can do with no dust!
Old 07-20-2016, 11:49 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chstitans42
when you finally get the paint job all done it will be worth it! I hate to tell you, but once you finish this round of sanding, then comes the wet sanding your paint! At least that you can do with no dust!
Yeah, I need to keep looking at photos of the steel cities gray '77 I found to keep myself motivated. Unless I need to wet sand right away or it comes out looking really dull, I'll probably put off wet sanding for a while. Sanding without dust will be nice.

Work is so slow right now that I really don't need to be there the next couple days, so I'm gonna try to force myself to spend the next 4 days sanding.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

how much money are you going to save by doing the paint removal yourself?

Quick Reply: Broke college student '77 build thread