Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke college student '77 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:23 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep up the good work! Its coming along great. Did you go with fiberglass bumpers? If I was closer I'd snap up your front one...my '76 needs it!

Again, nice work...very cool to see you getting her back where shes in tip-top form. Have you settled on a color yet?

later,

Lee
Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 604 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by KYC4
Keep up the good work! Its coming along great. Did you go with fiberglass bumpers? If I was closer I'd snap up your front one...my '76 needs it!

Again, nice work...very cool to see you getting her back where shes in tip-top form. Have you settled on a color yet?

later,

Lee
Thanks. I bought flex fiberglass front and rear bumpers from next level fiberglass on ebay. They were quite a bit cheaper than most I've seen, hopefully they will fit okay. I plan to sell the old ones to get back a little bit of money. Not sure what the old ones are worth, they do have some cracks but I'm pretty sure they're salvageable. Maybe we could work something out if you're interested.

When I bought the car, I had a few colors in mind: fathom green, silver, corvette bronze, daytona sunset orange, and steel cities gray. Steel cities gray is sort of a compromise between the silver and the green, and I really like that color and think it will look good with my white interior, so that's what I decided on. I think this photo of fleming23's car helped me make the decision. I think that color and those wheels are a great combo. I plan to get similar wheels for mine someday.

Last edited by rgwoehr; 07-27-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:04 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I also would love to put wheels on my 73 just like that, but when you price out the wheels and tires... gets $$$$ very quick
Old 07-28-2016, 01:56 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chstitans42
I also would love to put wheels on my 73 just like that, but when you price out the wheels and tires... gets $$$$ very quick
Yeah, I looked into the wheels that car has a while back and they were like $450 a piece. I think I'll be going with cheaper similar looking wheels, like the US Mags U102.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:50 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by rgwoehr
Thanks jv04.

My driver's side door handle is in bad shape, the corvette lettering for the rear bumper is gone, and the antenna is gone if you have any of those
I may still have a driver's (and possibly passenger's) new repo door handle.

If I can locate them, they are yours (no charge). I am very encouraged by your efforts, and it would be my pleasure to assist is a small way.

I'll let you know if I find them, and then will get a ship to address from you.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jv04
I may still have a driver's (and possibly passenger's) new repo door handle.

If I can locate them, they are yours (no charge). I am very encouraged by your efforts, and it would be my pleasure to assist is a small way.

I'll let you know if I find them, and then will get a ship to address from you.
Thank you, I appreciate it
Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rgwoehr
Thank you, I appreciate it
OK, I found them, sort of. The passenger side is new reproduction. The driver's side is a used original that is missing the spring. I must have replaced the driver's side original on my 79 with the repo one.

It MIGHT be better than the one you have.

Either way, send me a PM with your mailing address and I will get them headed your way.

Ed
Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

OK, I found them, sort of. The passenger side is new reproduction. The driver's side is a used original that is missing the spring. I must have replaced the driver's side original on my 79 with the repo one.

Either way, send me a PM with your mailing address and I will get them headed your way.

Ed
Very cool and classy of you, Ed!

Later,

Lee
Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Ed
PM sent
Old 07-29-2016, 08:22 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Since Sunday, I've probably spent a total of 2 hours this week sanding. My main focus right now is the area shown below, especially down in the corner. There was quite a bit of paint still in that area, but I got most of it off on one side and about half of it on the other side. I want to get the whole area around the back window finished before I move on to finishing up the rest of the car because that's my least favorite area to work with.

Last edited by rgwoehr; 08-01-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:59 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

are you trying to get down to the fiberglass, or just to the first good layer of paint? I know literally nothing of the process involved, just asking to get info.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 AM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Docbrock
are you trying to get down to the fiberglass, or just to the first good layer of paint? I know literally nothing of the process involved, just asking to get info.
I'm just trying to get it to the point where what's left of the paint on the car is solid (no cracks, gouges, etc.), and then I'll paint over what's left. I think most of the paint will be pretty thin by the time I'm done sanding. The better way to do it would be to get it down to bare fiberglass, shoot high build primer on it, and block sand the whole car to get everything flat. I don't want to spend the extra money to buy that primer or sanding blocks though. I'm sure it's gonna be wavy, but I don't think this is the last time I'll paint this car so I'll do it that way next time around.

Last edited by rgwoehr; 08-01-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:24 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Great built thread, keep it going.

WE are all putting for you, having been there many times ourselves.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Great built thread, keep it going.

WE are all putting for you, having been there many times ourselves.
Thank you.

My family from out of town left this morning so work will resume today. Fortunately it's supposed to be in the 80's this week instead of mid to high 90's like last week. I'm really hoping that I'll be ready to shoot paint next week.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:18 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

These showed up today, thanks again Ed. I didn't expect them to get here this fast. The driver's side one is in much better shape than the one that was on the car.

I did about 2.5 hours of sanding today. Most of that was spent around the back window, but I also worked on the drivers side door and rear fender. Apparently I never ran my hand over the paint that's left on the drivers door while I was using the 80 grit paper; if I had, I would have noticed that it was nowhere near done... It's still very uneven. I keep finding spots that need a lot more attention with the rougher sandpaper all over the car. I really need to learn to be more patient.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Keep up the good work.........Maybe paint ONLY one door once the sanding is done........If you are satisfied with the looks of the paint on that door, you can paint the rest of the car.

If you are not satisfied with the door and you think you can do better....spend some extra time (patience) on the rest of the car to get a better paint job.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:07 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Keep up the good work.........Maybe paint ONLY one door once the sanding is done........If you are satisfied with the looks of the paint on that door, you can paint the rest of the car.

If you are not satisfied with the door and you think you can do better....spend some extra time (patience) on the rest of the car to get a better paint job.

Thanks Doorgunner. That thought has crossed my mind. I do have some other paint I could use for testing to get an idea of what it'll look like if I decide to do that, instead of using up the steel cities gray paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Broke college student '77 build thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:21 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure from your comments in post #92. Are you going to shoot a coat of sealer or primer before paint to make the car all one color? If you don't it could affect the final color by having various shades of colors. Just a thought. Keep up the great work.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 PM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 929nitro
Not sure from your comments in post #92. Are you going to shoot a coat of sealer or primer before paint to make the car all one color? If you don't it could affect the final color by having various shades of colors. Just a thought. Keep up the great work.
Yeah I'm still gonna prime it before painting
Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

cool thread,very detailed. i wish i would have documented my build too.
The following users liked this post:
rgwoehr (08-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Broke college student '77 build thread