Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to buy brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:29 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I actually rebuilt the calipers on my 66 20 years ago an Auto zone stocked the rebuild kit, they didn't leak the next few years...

This is scary...and irritating, While changing pads in neglected brakes and they leak is one thing getting a new caliper and it leaks just really sucks out loud I would have thought in this case a big respected outfit like lone star would test calipers for leaks before sending them out,

So in my case I will be on my brakes here soon, they are new never had fluid in them but have sat who knows how many years,

So they will likely leak?

Where do they leak the most at the pistons or the seal between the 2 halves?

Do O rings leak more or less than lip seals?

Does silicone fluid help or hurt or neither?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:36 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Everyone I've had to leak, was at the piston.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

As someone who is in the middle of rebuilding my 71 coupe.... and has not yet gotten to the brakes... I`ve been following this discussion. The conclusion I`m getting is that there is very little difference in where I get my calipers, as most suppliers use the same rebuilder. The only real difference is the individual vendors` mark-up. Does that sound like an acurate assessment?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
So are you saying most c3 owners neglect their brake system?

again, I would love feedback on that from members....
I would say not just C3 owners, but car owners in general. I don't remember ever being told to do this, and I surely never did. I have asked several friends who say they never have either. I know better now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Daugird:
80-Vette (07-22-2016), The13Bats (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
As someone who is in the middle of rebuilding my 71 coupe.... and has not yet gotten to the brakes... I`ve been following this discussion. The conclusion I`m getting is that there is very little difference in where I get my calipers, as most suppliers use the same rebuilder. The only real difference is the individual vendors` mark-up. Does that sound like an accurate assessment?
YES...that is an accurate assessment...and which is why I buy them directly from the rebuilder....which for me is Lone Star caliper.

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
I would say not just C3 owners, but car owners in general. I don't remember ever being told to do this, and I surely never did. I have asked several friends who say they never have either. I know better now.
This is mainly due to most car owners never look at this.

http://www.corvsport.com/Corvette/C3...e_Schedule.gif

And what is also not written in that schedule...that if an owner says:" I only put 1000 miles on it in a year...so I can wait 12 years". WELL...it does not work that way.

As I always tell my customers. WHEN the brake fluid (DOT 3) begins to no longer look like Ginger Ale..and starts to look like iced tea. That is an indication ( in my opinion) that it may be getting close to get the fluid out. And most owners will spend the time and money on engine oil, etc...but for some reason they find an excuse to NOT do the brake fluid...and when the car comes in with a caliper leak...I have NO pity.

DUB
Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...that is an accurate assessment...and which is why I buy them directly from the rebuilder....which for me is Lone Star caliper.

And what is also not written in that schedule...that if an owner says:" I only put 1000 miles on it in a year...so I can wait 12 years". WELL...it does not work that way.

As I always tell my customers. WHEN the brake fluid (DOT 3) begins to no longer look like Ginger Ale..and starts to look like iced tea. That is an indication ( in my opinion) that it may be getting close to get the fluid out. And most owners will spend the time and money on engine oil, etc...but for some reason they find an excuse to NOT do the brake fluid...and when the car comes in with a caliper leak...I have NO pity.

DUB
so 100% of the c3's you have changed pads on that had ginger ale looking fluid didn't leak and 100% of the ice tea ones do leak?

If you get a car with ice tea fluid do you insist to change the fluid or do you just risk it....and in that case no matter what the fluid looked like if it leaks a week later its YOUR fault.

My point is from the limited replies just in this thread even new calipers are leaking....

One member gave the impression that while love star does do a lot of the rebuilt calipers out there they are not top end but rather middle to low end...
Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I see a pattern in brake problems. It seems as though there are more problems with leaks when only the calipers are changed. When all the lines (hard and flex) are changed and the MC is rebuilt 40 years worth of crud is eliminated, and the calipers have a better chance of not leaking.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

Another vote for Auto Zone; located less than a mile from my house (Home Depot and Lowe's too, a requirement for me!). Lifetime warranty, buy them once. I've replaced mine a couple of times over the last 15 years. I don't race her, just cruise and the AZ ones work just fine.

Last edited by 2TONE82; 07-22-2016 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Alwyn678 (01-07-2022)
Old 07-22-2016, 11:23 AM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I also would rather go with a local part store that carries them or can get them within 24 hours. Auto Zone all the way for me.
Alwyn678 (10-31-2022)
Old 07-22-2016, 11:52 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

I put Delco Moraine calipers from the local Auto Zone on my 77 and past Corvettes I have owned also.

No problems with them, and if I do, I dig out my receipt and 10 minutes later I have another one. Car stops on a dime.
Alwyn678 (10-31-2022)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
And most owners will spend the time and money on engine oil, etc...but for some reason they find an excuse to NOT do the brake fluid
Probably because bleeding the brakes is a big pain in the a$$. I never learned how to do it by myself, always needed someone to pump the pedal for me. I plan to get one of those brake bleeding pumps so I can stay on top of the brake system from now on.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:21 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
I can say I have never really given the fluid that much thought and have also never changed the brake fluid car I have ever owned. That being said my 80 was stored in a garage for 20+ years before I bought it and I had no choice but replace the master cylinder and all 4 calipers due to gummy brake fluid.

After bleeding the new master cylinder I tried to I also had to change rubber brake hoses and run lot of fluid through the break lines to flush all the crap out of the lines. I first tried to bleed the calipers but was not getting any fluid to them. I ended unbooking the calipers and flushing. So definitely are right about fluid needing to be changed especially if the car is stored away for several years. In my case 20 years.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:33 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
Probably because bleeding the brakes is a big pain in the a$$. I never learned how to do it by myself, always needed someone to pump the pedal for me. I plan to get one of those brake bleeding pumps so I can stay on top of the brake system from now on.
Speed bleeders work well, I put them on all my calipers. Technically one person can bleed the brakes but I still like to have someone stand by each wheel as it is being bleed.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:37 PM
80-Vette
Racer

so 100% of the c3's you have changed pads on that had ginger ale looking fluid didn't leak and 100% of the ice tea ones do leak?(
I didn't take it as 100% of the ice tea ones leak, I took that as that is when the owner should really consider changing the fluid.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:42 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

I just bought a front set of calipers from O'Reillys and they are nice other than they are made by different manufacturers and different colors, silver and gold. I painted the gold one silver to match the other calipers.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by The13Bats View Post

so 100% of the c3's you have changed pads on that had ginger ale looking fluid didn't leak and 100% of the ice tea ones do leak?
(
Originally Posted by 80-Vette
I didn't take it as 100% of the ice tea ones leak, I took that as that is when the owner should really consider changing the fluid.
Thanks for sharing how you took it, I 'took" it the way you did also, however, I phased it my way from a mosaic so to speak I created from other replies that were leading that "most/Many" calipers leak from a pad change, I assumed that my "100%" would be corrected to the "%" that the person felt was appropriate.

as I was saying before while some would like theirs to be the last word on a subject I am just too thirsty for knowledge and OCD to go on just one opinion,

For example only, this is no reflection to any real information or data as I do not have much as of yet.

Lets say 25 forum members who have changed brakes on their 25 c3's (100 calipers )
And report 25 calipers leaked during or right after a pad change well that is 25%

then lets say one person in the corvette business says that out of 100 pad changes that 75% of calipers leak that is far more of a percentage than just owners see.

Then lets say the next two persons in the corvette business report that in pad changes they only see about 25%-50% of the calipers leak due to the pad change,

Stuff like that gets my mind all engaged and wanting to know why,

All that is moot at the moment for all I know at this point is I might get feedback that suggests 75% of all calipers leak after a pad change be it done by an owner or someone in the corvette business,

Yes, my mind is a terrible thing to taste.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

I can 'say' that 100% of the calipers that leaked had dirty fluid. Lipped seal of O-ring design. That is a fact.

If you get a car with ice tea fluid do you insist to change the fluid or do you just risk it....and in that case no matter what the fluid looked like if it leaks a week later its YOUR fault.

I do not INSIST on the fluid being changed. I ADVISE the customer and let them decide.

AND...NO it is NOT my fault if it leaks..and that is because all I did was open the bleeders....which have NOTHING to do with the seals at the pistons....and that the AMOUNT of wear that had already been going on.

IT would be the SAME if I turned on the light on your coffee table that has been there for years and when I turned it on.... the bulb burned out...and you tell me I have to go out and buy you a new bulb just because I was the lucky one who turned it on when the bulb blew out.

The SAME holds true to Automatic Transmission Fluid that has NOT been serviced for a LONG time. I drop the pan and the amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan could choke a horse. And IF I replace the four quarts I pulled out and replace it with fresh ATF...the transmission can go out and begin to slip due to the new fluid. And THAT is NOT my faulty either. So I have a 'trick' that stops that problem for my customer...because the damage has already been done due to lack of proper service intervals.

My point is from the limited replies just in this thread even new calipers are leaking....

I get that...you need more information.

The point from what I mentioned in the previous post is that neglecting the brake fluid...as many people do...can cause for a problem. I KNOW people will say they had not touched the fluid in decades...which is fine. I have had some master cylinders when I open them up the fluid is borderline looking like chocolate pudding at the bottom.

AS for the fact that new calipers can leak...YEP...they sure can. And rebuilt carburetors can still be a piece of crap and worthless...and alternators that smoke like smoke bomb was set off in it the second they are used....and starters that do not work...and wiper motors that do not work...where do I stop.

IT happens...and I would honesty love it for these people who get all ticked off about it...go into that business and I would LOVE to see them actually say that 100 % of everything they rebuild is perfect...every time on a high volume scale.

One member gave the impression that while love star does do a lot of the rebuilt calipers out there they are not top end but rather middle to low end...
That 'member' is entitled to their opinion...and so are you...along with everyone else. I would love to know what distinguishes the TOP END....MIDDLE END and LOW END rebuilder.....especially when the process of rebuilding a caliper is basically straight forward and does not take an act of Congress to do it.

I honestly feel you are searching for percentages that really do not matter at all and there is no true answer...and that is due to so many variables.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Best place to buy brake calipers

Old 07-22-2016, 07:00 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
That 'member' is entitled to their opinion...and so are you...along with everyone else. I would love to know what distinguishes the TOP END....MIDDLE END and LOW END rebuilder.....especially when the process of rebuilding a caliper is basically straight forward and does not take an act of Congress to do it.

I honestly feel you are searching for percentages that really do not matter at all and there is no true answer...and that is due to so many variables.

DUB
My "opinion" on rebuilders of calipers is "lone star" was cool to me and sold me a good product and I would have made sure to get them if I needed more but this thread even with admitted feedback only from a few people has sold me that rebuilt calipers are hit or miss and my local auto zone is as good as anywhere to buy them, likely cheaper and far easier than mail order.
I have no idea why the other member rated LS low and the rebuilder he likes high, since he said that not me perhaps ask him that question about "what distinguishes the TOP END....MIDDLE END and LOW END"

If you feel it doesn't matter then no need for you to get involved, you can ignore me.
It's all good, You don't have to understand why I like to research some things anymore so than I need to understand why you like to nit pick

I feel their is a lot more to be learned on the subject of calipers leaking from pad changes, Learning always matters only stupid people believe they know it all, and I do consider many variables ranging from neglected systems, to some people doing the job incorrectly to some shops that like to use the domino effect to gain more work and income to what must be a growing horrible quality control issue with caliper rebuilders....

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-22-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:13 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

according to my local re builder,who could not get it right,the problem was in the brake casting cleaning procedure that he was using that was damaging the bore.he never did get it right and then gave up on me.i agree with Richard Daugird on the big pia it is to finally get all the air out so consequent reluctance on owners parts to want to change out the fluid.really takes a few tricks to get it all,tapping,heating,tapping again,go around again,a pia.all kind of new methods used by the c3 faithful too.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

My "opinion" on rebuilders of calipers is "lone star" was cool to me and sold me a good product and I would have made sure to get them if I needed more but this thread even with admitted feedback only from a few people has sold me that rebuilt calipers are hit or miss and my local auto zone is as good as anywhere to buy them, likely cheaper and far easier than mail order.
I have no idea why the other member rated LS low and the rebuilder he likes high, since he said that not me perhaps ask him that question about "what distinguishes the TOP END....MIDDLE END and LOW END"

If you feel it doesn't matter then no need for you to get involved, you can ignore me.
It's all good, You don't have to understand why I like to research some things anymore so than I need to understand why you like to nit pick

I feel their is a lot more to be learned on the subject of calipers leaking from pad changes, Learning always matters only stupid people believe they know it all, and I do consider many variables ranging from neglected systems, to some people doing the job incorrectly to some shops that like to use the domino effect to gain more work and income to what must be a growing horrible quality control issue with caliper rebuilders....
One thing here we can agree on....we definitely have an opinion of each other...that is for sure.

You feel I nit pick...YES..I do...some people bring out the best in me...and yes... I feel you are intelligent enough to know this stuff...but amaze me at times when you ask questions that make no sense...by any stretch of the imagination....or have to get responses from other members to possibly confirm what I wrote....which is fine because I KNOW that is what you need to make it a valid scenario.

I have NO REASON to LIE to anyone here or tell you or anyone else here on the forum anything that I have not experienced FIRST HAND and it being TRUE. Even though I know many of my comments for many of your consider to be full of it. Which is your choice to think that way if you choose.

I am NOT here to win a popularity contest. Those that know me...know that this is true.

I wish the very best to you!

DUB

Quick Reply: Best place to buy brake calipers