Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Best place to buy brake calipers

Who has the best deal on stainless steel sleeved disc brake calipers and master cylinder for 65-82 Corvettes? Must be original Delco Moraine and use American made parts for the rebuild.

Thanks,
Rex
Old 07-14-2016, 04:58 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I can't say who has the best deal on them, but most if not all of the Corvette vendors, are getting their calipers from Lonestar Calipers. This includes some of the other Corvette brake companies.

We've been using Lonestar's calipers for the last 15-20 years, and have been very happy with them, and had very good luck with them too. I can't tell you if some or all of the components they use in rebuilding calipers, are US sourced though.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I can't say who has the best deal on them, but most if not all of the Corvette vendors, are getting their calipers from Lonestar Calipers. This includes some of the other Corvette brake companies.

We've been using Lonestar's calipers for the last 15-20 years, and have been very happy with them, and had very good luck with them too. I can't tell you if some or all of the components they use in rebuilding calipers, are US sourced though.
I use Lonestar Caliper. And Also....I can not conform if the parts used in rebuilding are ALL USA made parts. It seems unlikely due to a vast majority of anything made today is made ...you-know-where.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 07-16-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I hear the guy from Lonestar Caliper goes to all the local 'Vette shows around here, if I ever see him I'll ask as brakes are next on my list.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:32 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Best price will be national chain Auto parts, like Auto Zone, or Advance Auto, or Rock Auto.
just ask for rebuilt oem parts, most of them have a lifetime warranty.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I met Steve I believe his name is owner of lone star at a show and what a cool down to earth fellow, you would never know talking to him that he is pretty much "the" corvette brake man, I also bought some super nice seals from him.

Seems I dealt with him direct, but yeah, most places sell his products,

I do have to wonder about the corvette calipers sold at local parts stores will they last, as in stainless sleeves etc....
Old 07-15-2016, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Not that it really matters

Unless my signals are crossed...or something has changed (such as possibly being a part owner)...I do not think Steve is the owner. I known someone there for 10+years who I have always been told and was understood is the owner. He stops by my shop when coming through town heading to shows IF I have an order.

I have been wrong before....and I can be wrong here...But I do not think so. And out of respect to him.....because I do consider him a good friend in the industry....I am not writing his name unless he okay's it.

DUB
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that it really matters

Unless my signals are crossed...or something has changed (such as possibly being a part owner)...I do not think Steve is the owner. I known someone there for 10+years who I have always been told and was understood is the owner. He stops by my shop when coming through town heading to shows IF I have an order.

I have been wrong before....and I can be wrong here...But I do not think so. And out of respect to him.....because I do consider him a good friend in the industry....I am not writing his name unless he okay's it.

DUB
I spoke to leingth to line star to and was told all the sleeve for everyone are the same so to me it wouldn't make a big difference on this subject .line star guys were very knowledgble and take time to listen
Wes
Old 07-15-2016, 06:33 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I met Steve I believe his name is owner of lone star at a show and what a cool down to earth fellow, you would never know talking to him that he is pretty much "the" corvette brake man, I also bought some super nice seals from him.

Seems I dealt with him direct, but yeah, most places sell his products,

I do have to wonder about the corvette calipers sold at local parts stores will they last, as in stainless sleeves etc....
Kenny is the owner of Lonestar, and he is always at all of the major Corvette shows, under Lonestar's tent. Kenny's a super guy, if you can get past the fact that he's a big Cowboys fan.

Kenny does the calipers for some of the national chain stores, though not as many as he use to. A lot of the chain stores have gone to calipers that are being rebuilt overseas.

Lonestar saves all of the Delco cores for the Corvette hobby, and sends the off brand (NAPA, SSBC, no name, etc) castings to his chain store customers. About a year and a half ago, Kenny sent a letter to all of his wholesale customers, informing them that he was no long going to except non Delco cores, because he was losing his chain customers to overseas competition. Fortunately, he rescinded that shortly afterwards, when he picked up some new national chains.

Last edited by gbvette62; 07-15-2016 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 06:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Kenny is the owner of Lonestar, and he is always at all of the major Corvette shows, under Lonestar's tent. Kenny's a super guy, if you can get past the fact that he's a big Cowboys fan.

Kenny does the calipers for some of the national chain stores, though not as many as he use to. A lot of the chain stores have gone to calipers that are being rebuilt overseas.

Lonestar saves all of the Delco cores for the Corvette hobby, and sends the off brand (NAPA, SSBC, no name, etc) castings to his chain store customers. About a year and a half ago, Kenny sent a letter to all of his wholesale customers, informing them that he was no long going to except non Delco cores, because he was losing his chain customers to overseas competition. Fortunately, he rescinded that shortly afterwards, when he picked up some new national chains.
I just could not be the one to write it.

For being an owner of a large company..I can honestly write that he IS very dedicated to making sure what he offers is QUALITY and not junk.

DUB
Old 07-15-2016, 07:21 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Thanks, GB I tend to get names all basswards lately and as I worded it doubted myself when I said "Steve" like I called Howard, Stan in another thread...um hum...did I meet a Steve or a Kenny...the cat told me he owned lone star

no biggie

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-15-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:14 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
Best price will be national chain Auto parts, like Auto Zone, or Advance Auto, or Rock Auto.
just ask for rebuilt oem parts, most of them have a lifetime warranty.
i got my calibers from advance years ago.They say delco on them looked just like factory.If they go bad ,they will replace it with no shipping charge.Or you can get a rebuild kit do your own .
The following 2 users liked this post by terry82:
Alwyn678 (04-26-2022), The13Bats (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 11:14 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by terry82
i got my calibers from advance years ago.They say delco on them looked just like factory.If they go bad ,they will replace it with no shipping charge.Or you can get a rebuild kit do your own .
Do they get a core?
do you know if they are sleeved or is that moot since they will replace them for free for life?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:21 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
I just could not be the one to write it.

For being an owner of a large company..I can honestly write that he IS very dedicated to making sure what he offers is QUALITY and not junk.

DUB
I wasn't to concerned about releasing his name, it's on his company's website. Besides, Ken has my cell phone number, and I get a call every time the Cowboys beat the Eagles, even if it's late on a Sunday night, so figure I owe him!

Actually, to be fair, when the Eagles blew out the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in 2014, he called me up in the middle of dinner to say the Eagles played a good game.

Kenny is one of the good guys in the hobby.
Alwyn678 (09-20-2022)
Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Do they get a core?
do you know if they are sleeved or is that moot since they will replace them for free for life?
yes they want your core.
they can be sleeved if the guy before gave a pair that was not able t o be rebuilt ,then they would put a sleeve in it.But if it leakes they replace them .sometimes they are in stock no waiting.same brake caliber from 1965 to 1982.all the castings that I have seen say delco on them.
The13Bats (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by terry82
yes they want your core.
they can be sleeved if the guy before gave a pair that was not able t o be rebuilt ,then they would put a sleeve in it.But if it leakes they replace them .sometimes they are in stock no waiting.same brake caliber from 1965 to 1982.all the castings that I have seen say delco on them.
I was curious about this when someone in another thread went this route I didn't know if they were delco or clones and of course you have the people who say the clones suck no matter what but I wait and see from feedback if the stuff works before I bash it....
Old 07-16-2016, 08:54 AM
tyrant
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

My cores were so bad I couldn't get them apart. I used them as cores at Auto Zone. I received three Delcos and one knock off. I took the knock off back and they replaced it. Couldn't go wrong for the price.

Get notified of new replies

To Best place to buy brake calipers

Old 07-16-2016, 03:27 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

My experience with AZ calipers not all are done by Lone Star as they claim I had a issue I ordered 2 from them online. They came in both for same side so I returned and picked up one from store. Caliper had bad threads for the brake line connection. The replacement was packaged differently. Next replacement was bad also. I called the supplier which I believe was Lonestar and, they told me they only supply to some of AZ warehouses. I ordered another online was perfect.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

I wasn't to concerned about releasing his name, it's on his company's website. Besides, Ken has my cell phone number, and I get a call every time the Cowboys beat the Eagles, even if it's late on a Sunday night, so figure I owe him!

Actually, to be fair, when the Eagles blew out the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in 2014, he called me up in the middle of dinner to say the Eagles played a good game.

Kenny is one of the good guys in the hobby.
I see your point. He calls you when your team gets beat. And i am sure you call him when his gets beat by your team....way cool!

The situation between Ken and myself is based on Corvette parts and how they fit and work. I critique parts and let him and his staff know what I see is wrong and hopefully it can be resolved.

YES..I will write it again KEN is a great guy.

DUB
Old 07-16-2016, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

I was curious about this when someone in another thread went this route I didn't know if they were delco or clones and of course you have the people who say the clones suck no matter what but I wait and see from feedback if the stuff works before I bash it....
I deal with customers with NON Delco Moraine calipers that hold up just fine. From what I have experienced...because these NON Delco calipers have been out for a long time...they fail just about and quick as a Delco caliper...and a lot of that depends on the owner taking care of the brake system and not neglecting it.

Because if a person were to stop and think about it. The stainless steel sleeve is pressed into a housing...and what wears out are parts that people seem to not be worried about. They seem to justify that just because it has DELCO MORANE cast into it...that is is better. Which is incorrect due to the number of Delco calipers I return that leak...and that includes both lipped seal and O-ring styles.

These calipers leak...or can leak in time...there is no way around it...it will happen...and this is by the design of the brake system. Some people may be quite fortunate and not have any problems...but for a whole...they will leak and usually this is due to neglect of the brake fluid.

DUB
Alwyn678 (01-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Best place to buy brake calipers