Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Default Manta Ray with L-88 tribute

While I was hunting pictures I found this one,
Which I find pretty darn sweet for many reasons,

Lets rewind a little, the 1969 Manta Ray corvette show car, the Manta Ray was the reworked Mako 2 show car which of course was the preview of what the new c3 was going to look like,
When the new 1968 corvette was released many things had to be changed to go from prototype to production model however the spirit of the mako 2 show car can been seen.

I guess that GM wanted to keep moving and shaking and the 1965 Mako 2 was ready for a make over in 1969 they revamped it into the Manta Ray prototype show car and the Mako 2 was gone forever.

I never really saw a great picture of the Mako 2 or Manta Ray close to a production C3,
Perhaps someone has one they can share but this picture I found kind of blew me away how very wide and too low the Mako2/Manta was compared to the production c3, I doubt at 6 foot 2 I would have fit in the Manta Ray.

In this case the c3 is pretty cool too,
It belongs to Classic Aircraft & Auto Inc. who make a lot of old vintage race stuff,
The car is their 69 L-88 tribute at the 1971 24 hours of Daytona, parked next to the Manta ray with a couple GM design Engineers.

I just love vintage pictures like this so please do post yours and share the story....
Old 07-19-2016, 07:56 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Did you see the Hemmings article posted by the phantom?? Real interesting story & pics of the Maco / Manta....
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ay/?refer=news
Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldgto
Did you see the Hemmings article posted by the phantom?? Real interesting story & pics of the Maco / Manta....
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ay/?refer=news
I just cant seem to warm up to the Z headlights but I do like them better in chrome fronts than this Tupperware front,
This was a mix of mako parts and other stuff and a custom and I hope no one confuses it for the gm prototype show car a whole different creature, I have a mako kit, it looks like a "cars" character of the real things and that is being super kind....
Old 07-19-2016, 08:43 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I hope no one confuses it for the gm prototype show car a whole different creature
The article says these were based off the original prototype show car, but also claims that this car is an original Motion built "survivor".... though it has been through several hands.... and modifications since way back when.
I do agree with you though, the headlights just don`t work for me, but IMO they are better than the C7 units we saw in another thread a day or so ago.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldgto
The article says these were based off the original prototype show car, but also claims that this car is an original Motion built "survivor".... though it has been through several hands.... and modifications since way back when.
I do agree with you though, the headlights just don`t work for me, but IMO they are better than the C7 units we saw in another thread a day or so ago.
I admit only vaguely scanning that story, I get depressed with most of them,
Motion didn't invent the mako/maco body kit John Silva did but Motion made it famous and sadly Silva is forgotten, and the kit is nice but isn't all that close to the original, I would not call it a replica, "inspired by" is good.

That 73 motion ray IS the sole survivor as they only built the one like it,
as I said it's a happy mix of off the shelf custom parts.

But to say this,
which is stunning in what it is,

Is based on this,

That dog doesn't hunt for me....
Old 07-19-2016, 10:25 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The13Bats
But to say this.....

Is based on this.....
Seeing them side by side, I think you nailed it earlier.... "Two different animals"!

Get notified of new replies

To Manta Ray with L-88 tribute

Quick Reply: Manta Ray with L-88 tribute