Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:51 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts
Default Dip stick gas gauge rule of thumb questions

I have a "rule of thumb" question to pose

I put a new sending unit in the gas tank of my "82 a couple of months ago. It works well but the gauge is off and I have been racking my brain how (or even if) to make the "bending the float arm" adjustments on the 24 gallon tank.

Here are the symptoms...

When full of gas, the gauge pegs and will stay above full for about 100 miles as I'm averaging about 17 mpg (go crossfire!) between city and highway.

When the gauge reads empty or at about 300 miles total distance, it requires about 18 gallons to fill leaving about 5-6 in the tank.

When I do the wooden rod "dip stick" check the point where the gauge and the tank seem to read equally is a slightly below 1/2 or if, the gauge was a clock it would apex about 11:30.

My confusion is that the readings are not "linear" meaning if it was 5 gallons off (reading high) at full it should be reading 5 gallons high at empty instead of reading 5 gallons low at empty? It seems that the float read and the gauge are not synched up?

I'm willing to take it apart and experiment with the float level to dial it in but am wondering if it is worth the effort as the readings don't seem to match.

Any idea on the "rule of thumb" bending question? if you move the arm 1/4 inch up/down it will move "X" on the gauge?

Any ideas or am I looking at this totally wrong?

(I could just leave it alone and have another beer)

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 07-24-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:03 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Seems to me, if you bend the float arm up, then that will help the full reading , but leave more fuel in the tank when it reads empty.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:07 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The scale is off, or the float arm is too short, have you looked ad\t Willcox's help videos?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842

I put a new sending unit in the gas tank of my "82 a couple of months ago. It works well but the gauge is off and I have been racking my brain how (or even if) to make the "bending the float arm" adjustments on the 24 gallon tank.

Here are the symptoms...

When full of gas, the gauge pegs and will stay above full for about 100 miles as I'm averaging about 17 mpg (go crossfire!) between city and highway.

When the gauge reads empty or at about 300 miles total distance, it requires about 18 gallons to fill leaving about 5-6 in the tank.

When I do the wooden rod "dip stick" check the point where the gauge and the tank seem to read equally is a slightly below 1/2 or if, the gauge was a clock it would apex about 11:30.

My confusion is that the readings are not "linear" meaning if it was 5 gallons off (reading high) at full it should be reading 5 gallons high at empty instead of reading 5 gallons low at empty? It seems that the float read and the gauge are not synched up?

I'm willing to take it apart and experiment with the float level to dial it in but am wondering if it is worth the effort as the readings don't seem to match.

Any idea on the "rule of thumb" bending question? if you move the arm 1/4 inch up/down it will move "X" on the gauge?

Sounds just about right to me . You have about a five gallon reserve when it reads empty and it draws from the bottom of the tank , so it leaves you a safe amount of reserve to get to a gas station. If it were my car I would leave it alone and go have that other beer.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:00 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Sounds just about right to me . You have about a five gallon reserve when it reads empty and it draws from the bottom of the tank , so it leaves you a safe amount of reserve to get to a gas station. If it were my car I would leave it alone and go have that other beer.
Pretty much. My '16 Ram has the 32 gallon tank in it, and I have pegged the gauge below E and the most it has ever taken to fill was about 28 gallons.

BUT, if you wanted, it would need bent DOWN to lengthen the arm closer to the bottom of the tank.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:06 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
the float arm is too short,
This. A longer arm will correct it at empty and full.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:47 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree that the gauge is off and an adjustment MAY cure it. Just remember that as a general rule fuel gauges do not read linear. The first half a tank goes much slower than the second half. I suspect it's to give the illusion that the car isn't using as much fuel as it is. If you just spent $75 filling it up and the level seems to drop immediately, your assumption would be that it's using lots of fuel.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:15 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by centralcalvette
I agree that the gauge is off and an adjustment MAY cure it. Just remember that as a general rule fuel gauges do not read linear. The first half a tank goes much slower than the second half. I suspect it's to give the illusion that the car isn't using as much fuel as it is. If you just spent $75 filling it up and the level seems to drop immediately, your assumption would be that it's using lots of fuel.
So it's a conspiracy?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:28 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842

Here are the symptoms...

Bill..assuming you replaced the sending unit with the proper one..sounds like it's miller time..You know what fuel and how much you put in and your normal mileage..BE happy that when the gauge is on EGYPT..you have more than a few miled before you run out on the road.. JIM
Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
it's miller time..
The car advice that works in all situations
Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Bill.. it sounds normal to me... The scale for the sender to the fuel gauge was supposed to be linear (0-90 ohms with 0 being empty and 90 being fulle) but you see how that worked out. Senders will put out more than 90 ohms when full in most instances and bending the float will only cause you more issues.

I suppose you could pull the sender from the tank and connect it to the car with the arm at empty, remove the needle from the dash unit and then re-install it at exactly empty but what will happen then is you'll push even further past full when you fill it up.

IMHO,

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Dip stick gas gauge rule of thumb questions

Quick Reply: Dip stick gas gauge rule of thumb questions