Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody deal with Doc Rebuild?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Anybody deal with Doc Rebuild?

Like the title says, anyone? I tried to order some parts, and got some very nasty emails from him.

I just wonder how he stays in business like that? If I'm giving you my hard earned money, I expect, at the minimum, a little customer service, instead of insults and vulgar language.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi U,
Dr. Rebuild has a well known and illustrious reputation.
I believe he has many small and unusual parts that other vendors just don't have that are a help to restorers.
Dealing with his wife on the 'order' line usually goes well for me.
I haven't bought anything lately, but in the past her pleasant nature seems to make up for him.
Talking to him in person at Carlisle over the years brings the word 'curmudgeon' to mind.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Doing biz with him is a little abrasive.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

He's the soup **** from Seinfeld. When I order from him I use the online form and make sure I follow the instructions precisely. I've heard that if you call the 800 number and don't have all your part numbers ready he will hang up and blacklist you.

But he has some stuff that no one else carries. I tried several door weatherstrips before I used his and the doc rebuild ones are the only ones that let the doors close easily. The other ones I had to slam the doors. He also has the best vacuum hose kit.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:51 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
Like the title says, anyone? I tried to order some parts, and got some very nasty emails from him.

I just wonder how he stays in business like that? If I'm giving you my hard earned money, I expect, at the minimum, a little customer service, instead of insults and vulgar language.
I have never corresponded directly with 'Doc Rebuild..My conversations were with 'Debbie' who seems to be doing her best to field inquiries......
.I have only ordered the vac diagram for my '78 from them..and it was helpful for what I needed..I asked a couple of questions via telephone and did not get definitive answers back..but I figgered it out on my own..I think 'Doc Rebuild' is perhaps semi retired ..but I do not know for certain.I didn't get any replies to several emails I sent..so I Called them to order what I wanted.Jim
Old 08-15-2016, 02:09 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I purchased his wiring diagrams and a couple other small things.

The wiring diagrams are absolutely incredible. I refer to them regularly.

I believe I spoke with this wife. I don't remember anything negative about the interaction. You can tell that there is a lot of "history" between him and others in the business. I'm not saying there isn't a legitimate beef, but I've found life to be much simpler if you can play nice with others instead of constantly grinding against the grain.

Looks like one of those deals where he's a real asset to the community, but you have to really need to deal with him to CHOOSE to deal with him.

Another way to think of it: Doc Rebuild and Toobroketoretire are probably pretty good friends.

All that said, I would be happy to order from Doc Rebuild if needed. I also have no issue ordering from Zips. So I guess I'm automatically on the "blacklist".

Last edited by keithinspace; 08-15-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I order stuff from time to time, always top notch products.
Doc has a bad reputation but my own experience with him have been flawless.
Even one day he slept on my order for a week, when I reached him he apologized profusely and shipped the same day.
And yes my doors close like butter with his weatherstrips.
The following users liked this post:
1960 (06-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:12 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

I was insulted and told I didn't know how to do the job, then he told me to go eff myself. Wow, I can't understand how anybody in business that wants to stay in business can expect to do it for long.
As far as small hard parts, I've been a fabricator for over 40 years, I'll make my own, I've already done it.

And his website professes to make quality parts, not reproductions, and he uses CRC. And, to be honest, it was the worst one that I've received.

I'm going to make what I have work. I was hoping that somebody made one that fits well. I'm glad I'm old, and this will be my last build.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:17 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by Denpo
I order stuff from time to time, always top notch products.
Doc has a bad reputation but my own experience with him have been flawless.
Even one day he slept on my order for a week, when I reached him he apologized profusely and shipped the same day.
And yes my doors close like butter with his weatherstrips.

While I don't doubt the statements about his weatherstrip, I'm sure now he doesn't produce them. I personally went with Steele Rubber. I've used them on a few other builds, and other than Corvettes. They know weatherstip, it's the only thing they do.

My doors close like the showroom floor model, at 47 years later. But, I know, like everybody else, how to adjust the doors to fit and close properly.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
I was insulted and told I didn't know how to do the job, then he told me to go eff myself. Wow, I can't understand how anybody in business that wants to stay in business can expect to do it for long.
As far as small hard parts, I've been a fabricator for over 40 years, I'll make my own, I've already done it.

And his website professes to make quality parts, not reproductions, and he uses CRC. And, to be honest, it was the worst one that I've received.

I'm going to make what I have work. I was hoping that somebody made one that fits well. I'm glad I'm old, and this will be my last build.
USAF VET, IF i might ask, what sort of part were you seeking?..I or someone on here may be able to assist you..Sorry about the poor experience you had..My son Josh is MSGT USAF 14 yrs..and after working on jet fighters and C130 aircraft and running maint programs & multiple deployments he has become quite adept on problem solving, sourcing parts/info and making things right..As far as cantankerous or rude folks..do your best to forgive/forget and make a note that you will not deal with them again..The world's full of 'em....all the best and thank you for your service! Jim(75thAirborne/macVsog vet) 66-73)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:42 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
USAF VET, IF i might ask, what sort of part were you seeking?..I or someone on here may be able to assist you..Sorry about the poor experience you had..My son Josh is MSGT USAF 14 yrs..and after working on jet fighters and C130 aircraft and running maint programs & multiple deployments he has become quite adept on problem solving, sourcing parts/info and making things right..As far as cantankerous or rude folks..do your best to forgive/forget and make a note that you will not deal with them again..The world's full of 'em....all the best and thank you for your service! Jim(75thAirborne/macVsog vet) 66-73)

Thanks for your support Jim. It was my pleasure to serve this great nation.

I'm looking for the rear window weatherstripping, as in my first post a while back. I'm just going to use the CRC one that I have, I'm going broke sending these things back. It truly is the worst one so far. The molded corners are molded together crooked, and I'll have to trim it somehow to make it fit. But, I've made Mach 3+ aircraft fly with not much more than sticks and rocks (you get my drift), so I'm pretty sure I can make this work. I was really just hoping for a better quality product. I'm spending quality money, well, you know.

As far as help, by all means, if anybody has any more suggestions, I'm listening with wide open ears. My thread about this just died, and this wasn't an attempt to revive it, just to ask about the above mentioned vendor. I've been doing Corvettes for 41 years, since my first, a 65 vert, in 1975, as a young Airman in the Air Force haha

Last edited by USAFVeteran; 08-15-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: math in my years
jim in oregon (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 03:12 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

First. I'll say if there is a problem with the CRC weatherstripping you have try dealing with them directly. Let them know there is an issue with their product. That way hopefully it gets corrected at the mfg and spares others the pain and suffering.
About the Doc. I ve used him (not exclusively) since I started working on Vettes back in the late 80's. I've read everything he has posted on his website. I order from him online and if I have a problem I call the number listed.
Just put in a couple orders with him this month.
As long as you follow HIS rules there's never a problem.
On a side note
I'm a A&P Tech as well so I know how to deal with a sour puss or 2 if you know what I'm talking about.
USAFVeteran (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:22 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
... Talking to him in person at Carlisle over the years brings the word 'curmudgeon' to mind.
Regards,
Alan
That's funny, I was going to use the same adjective to describe him!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:46 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've purchased on line only no phone contact.
You need to know exactly what you want and you will get what you ask for.
No tech support over the phone.
I'm not beating a drum for Doc but I was a parts counter man for GM.
Have you ever waited on a house wife before?
Hi, my husband sent me over I need this thing a ma jig for his car.
Do you now the year? No, he bought it here a couple years ago.
I think you better send your husband in.......
I get it where he's coming from after years of dealing with the public.
Again, doesn't warrant being nasty but I get it.....
Marshal
Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

As mentioned...the wiring diagrams are incredible. A huge bonus on my journey to de-taco my 72'. Thay are huge laminated placemats full of color and pics of terminals.

I actually spoke to him and found him gruff and hilarious......an extremely gruff man with little mouth filter......but whatever....

He has the only fuel tank O-ring in the world that would seal in my 66'.
That alone is worthy of props.

Jebby
Old 08-15-2016, 09:09 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Have you seen his rant about the corvetteforum and trying to cost a moderator his real life job?

it still floors me....
Old 08-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,393 Posts

I good at following rules.... so I've never had an issue with doc.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody deal with Doc Rebuild?

Old 08-16-2016, 01:44 AM
Duntov
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I've ordered a few thighs the other places don't carry. I have never talked to the man, but have heard about his ways for years. I am told I have an ability to "play well with others" and also know how certain folks in the NE are. Not all NE folks come off abrasive and most are good people. His ordering process and all the questions remind me of buying a house.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:55 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I was replacing my hinge pins & bushings. Ordered from him because of his 'original' parts. The striations on the upper part of the pin were much too long, carrying far beyond the upper (rear) portion of the hinge into the bushing itself.

After measuring my original ones for wear, I returned them to Doc for a refund, telling him they did not match the original ones on my 77. I got a nastygram back, ranting that what he supplied was what GM listed as replacements. I DON'T DOUBT THIS, BUT IN MANY CASES THERE IS A GREAT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A REPLACEMENT PART AND THE ORIGINAL, AND OFTEN THE REPLACEMENT IS DETERMINED BY SOME JERK IN AN OFFICE LOOKING COMMONILIZE INVENTORIES SAYING "I DON'T SEE ANY REASON THIS WOULDN'T WORK." Frequently it does NOT work.

Doc was a pioneer and helped many people. However, he is going through the motions now and should hang it up.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:35 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Ive got his wiring diagram and his hose kit for my 68. Bought both on the interenet so I haven't spoken with him

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody deal with Doc Rebuild?