Sponsored by:

Restoration journey begins!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Door pulls and door panel hardware

Working on some detail work on door panel items. Used same steps as I did on the shifter plate. May get new inserts for the door handle pulls.
Before
After.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 AM
1965markaccount
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

[
[/QUOTE]

Great picture of your father, he looks like he was a real interesting guy.

The picture reminded me a little of Sean Penn.
The following users liked this post:
c1nicole (08-23-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:38 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Default Trailer adventure

Load leveling hitch (check), anti-sway (check), brake control installed (check), extended mirrors (check), 24 case of Monster (check), car secured as well as all of her parts (check)! Combination of nervous energy and excitement (CHECK).

Ready to deleiver this girl to the cosmetic surgeon to give her her a 50 year old face-lift and tummy tuck. She will be just as sexy as she was when she left the dealership in 1968, or actually... better.

I had a little conversation with her and told her she MUST cooperate with the surgeon and not be a difficult patient. She should do exactly as she is told and not try to hide anything or bring unforeseen surprises. We all know how women can be.... drama queens!

Seeing this project coming around the bend to the final stages of the restoration is incredibly exciting. I pray that Dad approves of the decisions we are making. As my Mother has been evacuating Florida this week, in the wrath of Irma's evil path, I realize that stuff is just stuff. At the same time, some "STUFF" can hold so much sentimental value that although replaceable, would be devastating if lost. This car is an embodiment of the love of cars and wrench cranking that I shared with my Dad. This car will forever be in our family and I am already working on ensuring my 1 month old granddaughter will develop a love for vettes!!!! One day she, as I did, will be walking around the car shows drooling and admiring all the cars and proudly showing her vette too.

Will update as I hear how her restoration is going... here is her parting shot from Oklahoma...

John Ulrich (09-14-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I hope your travels are all good and safe and the 'cosmetic surgeon' understands how important this car is to you and your family. I am hope that it will gets back to you as you envision it.

I will keep an one on your thread to see how the progress goes because it has been a joy watching/following you and Tim doing a lot of the work on your Corvette.

I know you must be STOKED a this point.

DUB
c1nicole (02-15-2020)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Ah, The Beauty Parlor. The stories that are told there. She'll be beautiful! lol
c1nicole (02-15-2020)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:27 AM
OZvette72
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by c1nicole
... my 1 month old granddaughter will develop a love for vettes!!!! One day she, as I did, will be walking around the car shows drooling and admiring all the cars and proudly showing her vette too.
Only if SUPER Grandma & SUPER Grandpa keep a list of what is the right way to give a Vette LOOOOVE!!! ... I'm guessing 30years from now Ye Old Vette might need a refresh.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:04 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Nicole, Any updates?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:40 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Nicole, Any updates?
Hi John,

Thanks for checking in! Latest update revealed why I was not able to remove those rear lenses by simple removing screws. As we all could see the rear of the car had sustained damage and they had GLASSED them in. Thankfully damage was not substantial, just low quality repairs.

The shop is compiling photos so I will have pictures to show the work once all is said and done. A few below to demonstrate some before/after work. He does excellent detailed repairs! Very impressed with his knowledge and attention to detail.

We have had some spectacular weather here in OK. I have had many days where we dreamed of firing her up and taking her for a ride. We will make up for all those missed opportunities soon enough. One of the things Dad loved doing was taking kids for rides in the car.

At a car show one time a young kid fell in love with Dad's vette. He told his Mom he wanted the car to come to his upcoming birthday party. My Dad was always doing something for people, even strangers, so of course he reached out to the Mom. A few days later, Dad pulled up to the child's home in the Polar Princess. The birthday boy was over the moon with excitement. Hopeful for more of those kinds of moments with her, to honor my Pops.

She is in good hands! I literally lay in bed at night and run all her parts through my mind, inside and out, thinking about how she will look (and smell) all freshened up!! She was quite smelly before we removed the carpet/padding/glue. Remember the things we found in the battery compartment?? ICK!

Hope all is well with you John! Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving with your family.

Some Pic of glassed in tailights:

Last edited by c1nicole; 11-12-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

"Shiny heinie" I love it!!! Made me laugh. Not exaggerating when I tell you I have had dreams about having her done.

Hopefully my dad will be pleased with the decisions we have made, and with the finished product. Without a doubt, he is at the very least getting a few good laughs at some of the mistakes we have made and probably even wanted to say "damn girl!" a few times.

There have not been many moments that I have not felt him by me during this process. It has been cathartic doing this project after his passing. I miss him more than could be expressed in words and completion of this project will not only honor his memory but also make me feel closer to him every time we take her for a drive or enter her in a local car show.

Dad was just such a COOL dude! I am so grateful he introduced me to so many things that many dads are afraid to let their little girls experience.

Miss ya Pops! Picture I took of him from track day when he was running his FJ1300. He loved smoking the younger guys.

Just came across this thread and following your restoration. Saw this and had to chime in.

First let me say that I am sorry for your loss, he definitely looked like a really cool guy to have for a father but I can say for certain that he would be proud of the work that you are doing.

Was that picture taken at Hallett? Hard to tell for certain and I had only been there once but it looks familiar.

I myself have turned more than a few laps around tracks on motorcycles and up until my accident was an advanced instructor for teaching motorcycle racing at the Penguin school (oldest motorcycle school in the country).

Anyway, best of luck with your continuing resto and I hope you do not mind if I lurk and shadow your progress.
c1nicole (02-15-2020)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:29 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Just came across this thread and following your restoration. Saw this and had to chime in.

First let me say that I am sorry for your loss, he definitely looked like a really cool guy to have for a father but I can say for certain that he would be proud of the work that you are doing.

Was that picture taken at Hallett? Hard to tell for certain and I had only been there once but it looks familiar.

I myself have turned more than a few laps around tracks on motorcycles and up until my accident was an advanced instructor for teaching motorcycle racing at the Penguin school (oldest motorcycle school in the country).

Anyway, best of luck with your continuing resto and I hope you do not mind if I lurk and shadow your progress.
Please LURK! I appreciate all the input I can get and I love for people to see the passion I have for this project, even if I lack the extensive knowledge so many on CF have. Thank you for the condolences. Still very hard.

Good eye, yes that is Hallett. Dad did the cycle and shifter cart racing. I had a bike too but sold it as I cannot bare to ride without my buddy.

Thanks for checking in!!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for your update Nicole. I think a lot of us are living vicariously thru your restoration and await the painting photos. Slow season around here. I fell off a ladder and tore up my rotor cuff muscles. Had the surgery 4 weeks ago....2 more weeks until I start PT. Could not shift and steer so my '81 4 spd has been in early hibernation. I leave for Scottsdale on Thursday so the C7 automatic out there will be drivable as I rehab.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Thanks for your update Nicole. I think a lot of us are living vicariously thru your restoration and await the painting photos. Slow season around here. I fell off a ladder and tore up my rotor cuff muscles. Had the surgery 4 weeks ago....2 more weeks until I start PT. Could not shift and steer so my '81 4 spd has been in early hibernation. I leave for Scottsdale on Thursday so the C7 automatic out there will be drivable as I rehab.

Sorry to hear of your injury! Rotator cuff injuries are no joke and the surgeries are even less fun, best of luck with your recovery!

We are heading to Scottsdale in a couple of months. Never been there but hubby wants to golf there. Have been to Sedona and loved it!
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry to hear of your injury! Rotator cuff injuries are no joke and the surgeries are even less fun, best of luck with your recovery!

We are heading to Scottsdale in a couple of months. Never been there but hubby wants to golf there. Have been to Sedona and loved it!
Thanks!
Barrett-Jackson and 6 other auctions start mid-January. Warmer weather in February. Drop a line when your plans are finalized. Every Saturday night is a big car show at the Pavilions in Scottsdale. A lot of Cars and Coffee shows on Saturday mornings.
Golf for me might be a distant memory...we'll see.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:55 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

Great job, i am sure you can see the finsh line
Old 11-29-2017, 09:09 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Just checking in to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season. Hopefully your bellies have returned to their pre-Thanksgiving size. I felt like a stuffed Turduken for a full 24 hours! 1st world problems right? Beyond blessed.

Since the Polar princess is currently in the hands of the vette expert, we have "idle" time on our hands. That has proven dangerous for us. We decided that our cluttered garage would not be suitable to put our gorgeous girl into, SO, we have been organizing, building some wall cabinets, putting up DIY ceiling shelves and plan to put in new flooring. Racedeck had a great black Friday sale! Almost 1/2 off!

There is a thread in Off Topic about our endeavors. Feel free to stop in and make suggestions on things you have done in your garage! https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-ideas.html

I will say, we are a bit more comfortable with our abilities doing dry wall, painting, cabinet/shelf making than with some of our car projects. I still get frustrated thinking about the windshield wiper door and console removal. ARG. HAHA!

Hope this update finds everyone well and John, I hope your shoulder is recovering as expected, been praying for your quick recovery.

Last edited by c1nicole; 11-29-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Nicole,
What's the latest on the paint job? I know you probably stopped at the shop to take some progress photo's!!!
PainfullySlow (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:34 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Nicole,
What's the latest on the paint job? I know you probably stopped at the shop to take some progress photo's!!!

Hi John,

Hope you are doing great.

The shop is not close, so not able to check in on her on the regular, sadly.

Fingers crossed she will be ready sometime in the upcoming months. Will surely update when I know more!!

Get notified of new replies

To Restoration journey begins!!

Old 03-02-2018, 07:51 PM
OZvette72
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

... Toe Tapping in OZtralia too, can't wait ...
c1nicole (02-15-2020)
Old 03-03-2018, 08:33 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OZvette72
... Toe Tapping in OZtralia too, can't wait ...

<<<<<<Me too!!!! I get giddy just thinking about it.

Now that the weather has warmed, I am seeing all the locals out with their classics and it is giving my the urge to be driving her again.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:14 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Is the paint dry yet?

Quick Reply: Restoration journey begins!!