Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak at very low speed - who knew?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Default Squeak at very low speed - who knew?

So taking short shake-down drives and making tweaks / adjustments and testing things out now that the car is semi mobile.

I noticed a squeak when the car was just barely moving, like pulling out of the garage or into the driveway, squeak squeeeaaak squeak squeeeaaak up to about a fast walking/slow jog speed where it would either go away of be drowned out by the motor/exhaust etc.
Forward or back, no difference

Sounded like it was coming from the front.
Check the wheel bearings. They were all new and fresh so maybe need a tweak. Jack it up and check, everything just as it should be.

Got my brothers to come over and we went to a nearby parking lot and they walked beside both sides as I moved slowly back and forth.

Tried moving and then into neutral and coasting, same thiing
Tried moving and then shutting the car off and coasting
Sound is from the front...no the back...no everywhere....no the middle

Tried pushing the car in neutral while I laid on the ground beside it, yes it sounds like it's from the middle of the car, either side!

OK so drive shaft u-joint, probably the front. They were new spicers with only about 500 miles on them a few years ago but hey, no problem just put the car back up in the air on stands and have to pull the freaking driveshaft and replace the basically brand new HD spicer joints.

Bring the car home and put the back end up on stands, rotate the rear wheels (car in neutral) while I crawl under it to make sure it's the drive shaft joint and not one of the others, oh yeah, what a squeeeeeeeaaaaakkkkkk as it slowly rotates.

Oh wait.....that doesn't sound like metal on metal squeak, that sounds like metal on rubber squeak

Rear seal on the trans has a big rubber boot on it

It's pressed lightly but snugly up against the front yoke of the drive shaft. I put a new one on while the trans was out and I guess the old one was saturated with oils etc over the years and this one is bone dry... squeak squeak squeak

Popsicle stick and some white grease between it and the yoke, rotate the driveshaft twice... squeeeeaaakkkkk..... silence

shaft doesn't have to come out, joints are fine. Rubber boot causes 2 days worth of head scratching, worry and aggravation.
(Stupid boot will have a meeting with Mr. Xacto knife if I hear another squeak out of it )

Now onward and upwards to the sporadic slight groan from the P/S pump, hopefully still some air working it's way out of the hydroboost system.

M
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

glad you found it, those spicer ujoints are a quality item.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:23 PM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So there is a rear seal on the trans and an additional boot sandwiched in? I've never seen that
Old 08-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Mooser
Race Director

I don't think there is supposed to be really.
When I went and bought the new seals the guy came out with both the "regular" and then this one with the boot on it. It was the same as what was on there that I took out so I bought that style and never even thought about it again until I found it sqeaking away

I think when I drop the trans again it'll get the regular style again
M
Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Those seals are probably for a 4x4 or dumptruck or something
Old 08-26-2016, 09:07 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by shok
So there is a rear seal on the trans and an additional boot sandwiched in? I've never seen that
That's a new one on me also. I don't see a need for it unless you mud bog with the vehicle. Probably meant for use on trucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeak at very low speed - who knew?

Quick Reply: Squeak at very low speed - who knew?