Comfortweave Vinyl Fabric

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Default Comfortweave Vinyl Fabric

Hi,
In a seat cover installation thread the question of "how close is the current comfortweave fabric being used by companies like AK to the original Chevrolet fabric", came up.
The first thing mentioned was that the original fabric was perforated but the current fabric isn't.
Also it was mentioned that the appearance of the AK fabric is quite different than the Chevrolet fabric when viewed closely.
Member Richard D. remembered receiving a sample of current Comfortweave fabric from a supplier that he thought was close to the Chevrolet fabric, but the sample is currently among the missing. I told Richard I'd send for a sample and post it for comparison.
So… I sent for a sample and show it here with an original Chevrolet sample, the AK sample.
Be aware! This is just the fabric…..NOT a set of seat covers.
? Thoughts?
Regards,
Alan

Chevrolet Comfortweave.

AK Comfortweave.

The new fabric, and it IS perforated.

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-28-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:40 PM
oldboat
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

does it have the foam and fabric backing?
Old 09-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi o,
No, it's just the Comfortweave vinyl fabric.
The foam scrim and linen are part of the construction/sewing of the seat cover itself.
Regards,
Alan

Old 09-29-2016, 10:35 AM
danthony
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After reading that other thread. I orderded and received my sample as well. Ill try to post some pics but overall looks real nice. Possibly a bit darker than my originals but I didn't get a chance to compare directly last night.

The cost is $149 per yard. It would be nice if one of the seat manufacturers would provide an upgrade option as buying seat covers, material and the labor to deconstruct and reconstruct would make these covers really expensive.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi da,
I wasn't really thinking about a "de-construct" but rather getting a manufacturer to agree to sew a new set of covers using this Comfortweave material.
I'm concerned what the 'learning curve', if any, would be for the appearance of the finished covers? Maybe none?… maybe several sets?
Also, I have no idea if this material is already known to the manufactures and there's a reason they choose not to use it ….. a reason or reasons beyond cost?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-29-2016 at 12:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan 71:
danthony (09-29-2016), Richard Daugird (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I am curious as to how this will pan out...
Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 PM
danthony
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Heres my sample and original seat. Looks really nice. Looks like it has a shade of green in it but the wrave looks great. I thought icread that the original machinery was lost in a fire. Im still curious why no one makes a seat cover with this material. Any vendors on the forum care to find out for us?

Last edited by danthony; 09-29-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:26 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

It was my understanding that the company where the samples are coming from was going around and buying up old original material from upholstery shops going out of business. Several years ago, when I bought a couple of yards for my Fiero seat conversion, it was $85.00 a yard. That could explain why the price has almost doubled. I suspect the supply is not endless.

I took the Comfort weave material to Mr. Mikes and had him alter his patterns to more closely resemble the original 69 cover design. Obviously, it could not be exact, but they came out very nice.
The true breathable comfort weave is so much more comfortable than the newer press molded comfort weave used in new replacement upholstery.
I don't have the pics on this computer, but you can see the results in the photos in my garage.
They are also posted on Mr. Mikes web site in the Corvette section.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:21 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I like the 'real' ComfortWeave material, but there is one downside to it. The air paths in the weave also allow sunlight to flow in to the foam padding. And you know what happens to foam-rubber when UV hits it over time: lots of yellow dust!! Yep. The foam turns to yellow residue and all the padding disintegrates out of those padded channels.

The real material looks better and breathes better. But if the seats get a lot of 'sun time', the padding goes south after a few years.

Get notified of new replies

To Comfortweave Vinyl Fabric

Quick Reply: Comfortweave Vinyl Fabric