Sponsored by:

Replacing convertible top on 1970 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:40 PM
vettelady53
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing convertible top on 1970 Stingray

Looking for a video that might help me figure out how to install a new top on my 70. I have the new top but need some guidance. Can't seem to find anyone around my area that installs them.
Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by vettelady53
Looking for a video that might help me figure out how to install a new top on my 70. I have the new top but need some guidance. Can't seem to find anyone around my area that installs them.
Thanks in advance
There's a real good Al Knoch installation video in DVD. I borrowed one from a forum member when I did mine. There must still be a few floating around.
The following users liked this post:
vettelady53 (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 12:27 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Google "gottcha covered" in Woodstock Ga. if you don't mind driving that far. They put new seat covers on my '91 and did an excellent job. I know they do tops. I recommend them.
vettelady53 (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 AM
vettelady53
7th Gear

Default Convertible top

Thanks, I will call them!
Originally Posted by tpfarm
Google "gottcha covered" in Woodstock Ga. if you don't mind driving that far. They put new seat covers on my '91 and did an excellent job. I know they do tops. I recommend them.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:46 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Fwiw, there has been talk on here for a long time that the AL Knoch tops are not as good as they used to be, poor quality and too tight of a fit. Post a pic when you get it replaced
Old 10-04-2016, 12:03 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by midigike
Fwiw, there has been talk on here for a long time that the AL Knoch tops are not as good as they used to be, poor quality and too tight of a fit. Post a pic when you get it replaced
He didn't mention what brand he bought but I hope it wasn't Al Knoch . Nothing wrong with the videos though . The videos were made back when he did things right.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:43 PM
robmccon
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too, have an Al Knock top that came with my 70 - new in the box. I've been debating on trying the installation myself. Please let us know how it goes!
Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I have the DVD but it's packed away right now. VERY helpful and detailed. I know Willcox also has a DVD now. No idea if it's the same one.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:11 PM
vettelady53
7th Gear

Default 70 convertible top

Well, crap!! It is an Al Knoch top. My mechanic said he did research and it is supposed to be a very good top, so he ordered it & I paid for it I am getting Gotcha Covered to put it on next week. Will send a pix when it's done. The owner said it should be good but he wouldn't put an ACME top on under any circumstances. They are supposed to be trash. I'll keep you posted. They cost so dang much to buy & then to get it put on is not cheap either. I just hope it turns out good.
Originally Posted by bj1k
He didn't mention what brand he bought but I hope it wasn't Al Knoch . Nothing wrong with the videos though . The videos were made back when he did things right.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:54 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Well, crap!! It is an Al Knoch top. My mechanic said he did research and it is supposed to be a very good top, so he ordered it & I paid for it I am getting Gotcha Covered to put it on next week. Will send a pix when it's done. The owner said it should be good but he wouldn't put an ACME top on under any circumstances. They are supposed to be trash. I'll keep you posted. They cost so dang much to buy & then to get it put on is not cheap either. I just hope it turns out good.
Hopefully it will be an old stock top and nothing made recently. Check to see if you can find a date on it anywhere. If you know that it was made recently you should send it back. Once installation is started , you are on your own.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:13 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Inspect the back window carefully. If it is an old top and has been in the box for a long time it could have very small brown dots all over the clear plastic and cannot be removed. Saw this on Wheeler Dealers when they put a top on a '64 vette, also when I bought my '73 it came with a new Al Knock top in the box and had been sitting for a long time and it had the brown dots in the back window.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:20 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Took my soft top off recently and reinstalled using a couple of how to's.

I found this one to be most useful:

http://rowleycorvette.com/corvette_repair3.html

plus there is a second part article at the bottom.

Also, Wilcox gave me this one (thanks!):

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/33283/

Which was also good. I actually read both several times, but followed the Rowley one more.

Hope this helps and I used a regular Arrow? hand staple gun and Weldwood contact cement. Also made my replacement tack strips out of wood base molding from the hardware store. Came out pretty good I thought, kinda of like a reupholstery job.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Fair warning.....I ordered up a new top for my '72 vert, and so the canvass sat here for a few months until I got around to having a guy come out an install it, HE took one look and asked for the old top, which I had cut off and was in the trash can....he laid his tape over it and sure enough, the new top was not made correctly, not even close...the largest thing was that it was WAY too far forward on the rear edge of the side windows.....so when the door was closed with the window up, the glass was deflected out of the seal.......the top was not made correctly.....it's now about 5 years later and I still cutting/gluing and trying to get this POS to fit right, the way the old top did......

typical modern products.....China/whereEVER....just junk.....

and so...best of luck.....

Old 10-08-2016, 08:28 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mrvette
Fair warning.....I ordered up a new top for my '72 vert, and so the canvass sat here for a few months until I got around to having a guy come out an install it, HE took one look and asked for the old top, which I had cut off and was in the trash can....he laid his tape over it and sure enough, the new top was not made correctly, not even close...the largest thing was that it was WAY too far forward on the rear edge of the side windows.....so when the door was closed with the window up, the glass was deflected out of the seal.......the top was not made correctly.....it's now about 5 years later and I still cutting/gluing and trying to get this POS to fit right, the way the old top did......

typical modern products.....China/whereEVER....just junk.....

and so...best of luck.....

There is only one top to be sure of quality. Buy a Robbins top but make sure that the rear weatherstrip which you buy separately is bought from a quality weatherstrip company or it will still give you headaches. The cheap China rubber is almost impossible to work into the rear bow. The quality ones go right in with a little WD-40 sprayed on.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:15 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I have the AK install video and lent it to Lowbuck72. I am willing to loan it out to whomever would like to attempt the install.
I used it to install the cloth top on my car about 5 years ago. It is an Al Knock top and fit fine.
The video was produced a long time ago, before cloth tops for the C-3 so there are a few things different if you go the cloth route. The cloth does not stretch so it must be fitted carefully.
PM for request.
Bill
20mercury (10-10-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 11:51 AM
vettelady53
7th Gear

Gotcha Covered in Woodstock GA installed my AL K top and it looks great. I couldn't be more please with their work. They also installed new carpet. They do a great job upholstering seats and headliners. Everything interior. I would certainly recommend them.
72C3LS5 (03-14-2018)
Old 11-27-2016, 12:58 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,155 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Thanks for the update. Other members can benefit from it.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing convertible top on 1970 Stingray

Old 11-27-2016, 01:03 PM
tpfarm
Pro

Gotcha Covered in Woodstock GA installed my AL K top and it looks great. I couldn't be more please with their work. They also installed new carpet. They do a great job upholstering seats and headliners. Everything interior. I would certainly recommend them.
So glad they came through for you. It's been about 15 years since they did my seats and when I sold the '91 four years ago they still looked new. Hope you are enjoying those beautiful North Ga. mountains this time of year , I miss them.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:48 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

The most important measurement is the length of the two rear straps. They determine the rear window position. Also, when the time comes to trim the top where it attaches to the rear window piece, do not trim it to the exact length. Fold it over on itself (like you're creasing a piece of paper) and have the loose end (an inch or so) on the underside of the top. This is where the rear top bow has the trim strip to cover the staples. By doing this there won't be any loose threads exposed ,and if (Heaven forbid) you need to adjust the length, you'll have the needed material. This will make sense to you when you study the installation instructions. All in all, it's not a difficult job (I've done two) but it's just scary as hell when you're afraid of ruining a $500 top.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
The most important measurement is the length of the two rear straps. They determine the rear window position. Also, when the time comes to trim the top where it attaches to the rear window piece, do not trim it to the exact length. Fold it over on itself (like you're creasing a piece of paper) and have the loose end (an inch or so) on the underside of the top. This is where the rear top bow has the trim strip to cover the staples. By doing this there won't be any loose threads exposed ,and if (Heaven forbid) you need to adjust the length, you'll have the needed material. This will make sense to you when you study the installation instructions. All in all, it's not a difficult job (I've done two) but it's just scary as hell when you're afraid of ruining a $500 top.

Quick Reply: Replacing convertible top on 1970 Stingray