Sponsored by:

1974 L82 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1974 L82 restoration

I don't have much for now, but I enjoy reading a good restoration bit.
I've already started a few projects and I'm going to catalog them here.
Don't expect much for now, haha.

Going to split up things into different posts as follows:
Body Related
1) Power Window and Door Rebuild
2) Weatherstripping

Engine - Mechanical
1) Leaking Brake Caliper
2) Gasket changing
3) Vacuum hose exchange

Interior
1) Deep Cleaning
2) New *****

Links to related posts:
Old 10-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Body

1) Power windows and door

Going to fix this sagging handle

Passenger door torn apart. Took out the window regulator. Rehooked up wiring to motor (it works!) Going to reseal the door with gaskets, sound barrier, weatherstripping, window felts, window cushions, and other odds and ends.

This rusted regulator has had one wire wheel brushing. Awaiting new rollers in the mail and a paint job.

This particular roller is rusted solid. It should have been in the lower tract but was out and causing the window to sit low.

Last edited by Masonwader; 10-23-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Masonwader
Advanced

Engine

1) Brake Caliper. IT LEAKED

This caliper is leaking, so I'm going to take it off and rebuild it. The rotor is still welded on... Wish a previous owner had taken care of that for me, oh well.

After 2 days of a lot of cursing and numerous 30 min trips into town for parts I managed to hook the air compressor up to the brake line and blow out the pistons. I've already started with a wire wheel on the exterior surface, but it needs a bit more before painting.

Holding a piston in hand tastes like victory.

Now look at that dingy suspension. A front end rebuild may be next on my to do list.

Gasket change:
I didn't get any photos of changing the valve cover gaskets, but I'll get plenty on the oil pan and tranny pan.

Vacuum hose:
Awaiting delivery of parts

Last edited by Masonwader; 10-23-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Masonwader
Advanced

Interior

1) Deep Cleaning
Before:

Dirty Seats.

Carpet peeled back revealing dirt. Rusty chair hardware.

Color is chipping. Interior is dirty.

Missing trim, dirty door.

Interior view looking up. Lots of screws are missing. Got some t-top fasteners in the mail to put them back up for now. Just going to clean the pads for now.

Kick panels aren't in terrible condition. I'm cleaning them. Seems like someone got some black spray paint overspray on them however...

Right door panel halfway through cleaning.

Cleaned up some of the dinge on this. Brainstorming on how I want to repaint it.

Last edited by Masonwader; 10-23-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:04 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Maybe just replace the carpet . It kinda looks yellow or orange on my screen .

I put a new Al Knock carpet set in , medium saddle few years back . Really improvef the appearance over the old faded, ratty , antifreeze stained carpet.

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 10-23-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
Maybe just replace the carpet . It kinda looks yellow or orange on my screen .

I put a new Al Knock carpet set in , medium saddle few years back . Really improvef the appearance over the old faded, ratty , antifreeze stained carpet.
It's certainly on the list of things to buy. However the total cost of all the improvements I plan to do is over $8k right now. My current budget is around half that. I'm going to use some automotive dye (around $13) and just attempt to "refurbish" the current nasty carpeting until my budget opens up more.

I got great feedback from the forum about not using outdoor carpeting and attempting to do it myself.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:59 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi M,
The SEM or similar interior dye works well on hard plastic trim parts like the kick panels and parking brake console.
The saddle colored interiors are sometimes difficult because you end up with various shades of 'saddle' depending on the surface….seat upholstery , dash pads, vinyl and hard trim, and carpets.
So be a little cautious and perhaps do some 'tests' so you end up with the results you're looking /hoping for!
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
Masonwader (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 07:14 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Looks like you have just acquired the car, some cleaning up and it will be a nice one.

the front suspension doesn't look too bad for its age , newer shock unit , top ball joint has been replaced at some time . The disc still being riveted on means that its still original , which I think is a good thing as long as it measures wider than 1.215 inches (min thickness , that should be stamped on the front of it ).

Are you looking for comments on what we see because theres a few small things that look, well not quite right (mainly with the door )
Old 10-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Originally Posted by bazza77
Looks like you have just acquired the car, some cleaning up and it will be a nice one.

the front suspension doesn't look too bad for its age , newer shock unit , top ball joint has been replaced at some time . The disc still being riveted on means that its still original , which I think is a good thing as long as it measures wider than 1.215 inches (min thickness , that should be stamped on the front of it ).

Are you looking for comments on what we see because theres a few small things that look, well not quite right (mainly with the door )
Advice is VERY much appreciated! I'm very good with my hands, but this is my first build of a car this old. I've restored a 97 ford ranger (my first vehicle) and done miscellaneous work on a 02 honda, 05 range, 11 camaro, and 13 dodge.

Tell me about the door.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:20 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Looks like you are doing a good job. Red and Saddle is nice combination.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:31 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I just saw your other thread about the front quarter panel not lining up with the windscreen area. That I'm my opinion is way more important to deal with than the door and if you do it the way DUB says it will be fixed properly ,but it involves a lot of work and taking the car off the road for quite a while.

I'm guessing you want to drive this car everywhere at this stage.

but since you already have the door apart , there's a few small things I noticed that aren't right and are the result of age, previous owners neglect .

the rod from the inside door release is bent , they all should be straight . I cant see the top of door but the two rods that connect to the top mechanism should be straight as well , no small dogleg at the top one .

Why is it bent ? , because its either set too long or the mechanism is stiff or gummed up .Its inside the door and is what closes around the striker when you shut the door .

there is a return spring on the outside handle, it looks like yours is broken .handle has to come out to get at it and it s easier if you loosen the door latch mechanism from the door to get better access to the bottom of the handle .

Can you see where this is heading

This can be a classic "while I'm in there " scenario

also there's no anti-rattle rubber unit on that bent rod .

are you planning to clean out the window tracks , they are probably full of old grease that's not helping anymore .

and what I do , I'm not saying you should ,is whenever I pull some thing old like this apart that has a spring in it (windows, brake pedal box ) I just get new springs and replace , the old feel OK but usually they're no-where near as strong as a new one .

also you mentioned the outside felts, if you replace then get the good ones , not the imports or cheaper , at least with the "good" ones you have a better chance that they will actually fit.
The following users liked this post:
Masonwader (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Originally Posted by bazza77
I just saw your other thread about the front quarter panel not lining up with the windscreen area. That I'm my opinion is way more important to deal with than the door and if you do it the way DUB says it will be fixed properly ,but it involves a lot of work and taking the car off the road for quite a while.

I'm guessing you want to drive this car everywhere at this stage.

but since you already have the door apart , there's a few small things I noticed that aren't right and are the result of age, previous owners neglect .

the rod from the inside door release is bent , they all should be straight . I cant see the top of door but the two rods that connect to the top mechanism should be straight as well , no small dogleg at the top one .

Why is it bent ? , because its either set too long or the mechanism is stiff or gummed up .Its inside the door and is what closes around the striker when you shut the door .

there is a return spring on the outside handle, it looks like yours is broken .handle has to come out to get at it and it s easier if you loosen the door latch mechanism from the door to get better access to the bottom of the handle .

Can you see where this is heading

This can be a classic "while I'm in there " scenario

also there's no anti-rattle rubber unit on that bent rod .

are you planning to clean out the window tracks , they are probably full of old grease that's not helping anymore .

and what I do , I'm not saying you should ,is whenever I pull some thing old like this apart that has a spring in it (windows, brake pedal box ) I just get new springs and replace , the old feel OK but usually they're no-where near as strong as a new one .

also you mentioned the outside felts, if you replace then get the good ones , not the imports or cheaper , at least with the "good" ones you have a better chance that they will actually fit.
I'll look into the bent rods. The door is opening great. The only issue I've had with it is the handle sagging (and I bought the spring waiting to install it). I got my felts from willcox so I'm assuming they're US parts. I've got one of the tracks out currently (It came with the regulator), but I'm not pulling the other to clean until the day I get parts in. I wanted to pull apart and see what to order but not do so much demo that I can't put it back together.

As for driving the car. I drove it for 1 hour after I got it and then it wouldn't start at a gas station. I believe it needed a new starter and so that is going to be changed. I also found a vacuum leak at the vacuum filter going to the headlights. When I got it home, the front passenger brake caliper was leaking. I'm going to do all the proper maintenance before I put it back on the road. The front clip is going to have to be a well planned out project and at least the car is driveable right now even if it isn't the best cosmetically.

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to do some looking into the door.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:19 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Masonwader
Interior

1) Deep Cleaning
Before:

Dirty Seats.

Carpet peeled back revealing dirt. Rusty chair hardware.

Color is chipping. Interior is dirty.

Missing trim, dirty door.

Interior view looking up. Lots of screws are missing. Got some t-top fasteners in the mail to put them back up for now. Just going to clean the pads for now.

Kick panels aren't in terrible condition. I'm cleaning them. Seems like someone got some black spray paint overspray on them however...

Right door panel halfway through cleaning.

Cleaned up some of the dinge on this. Brainstorming on how I want to repaint it.
The rotor is still welded on. No they are held by rivets. Unless your just kidding

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 L82 restoration

Quick Reply: 1974 L82 restoration