C3 Corvette for a teenager?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:19 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
I totally disagree. Not being able to afford a car and the repairs is more likely to cause you to get tired and fed up with it. I wish my dad had an interest in cars when I was a kid, we probably would have gotten along a lot better. He just turned 70 and finally got a 'Vette a while back, now we have something to talk about.
We can agree to disagree, but in my experience, when you work for something, and put your hard earned money into it, you respect it more and take better care of it. I grew up in a city where all the 16 year olds got basically brand new cars given to them. They never respected them. Especially the kid with the hugger orange 69 Camaro and the other kid with the yellow 70 mustang.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:08 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

I've had many makes and models of Cars/Trucks, you can get a good one or a bad one. If you want a Vette and can afford it, go for it. CA weather is perfect for a rwd Car. I graduated H.S. in 1979 and Wrenched professionally for a couple of years right out of H.S., the late C3's have simple emission systems compared to today's vehicles and tons of info is available on the WEB to help a mechanically inclined owner to do their own repairs.
I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress if you decide on a C3. Many of the people on this Forum (myself included) will be glad to offer step by step help whenever possible.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:49 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
We can agree to disagree, but in my experience, when you work for something, and put your hard earned money into it, you respect it more and take better care of it.
Of course, that's how I was raised. I was a janitor at age 12, all the way through high school. Dad made me pay my own way, even though he is wealthy. Taught me great work ethic. But I think a father and son building a car together, in principle, is no different than spending loads of cash on a kid playing sports(but possibly more costly).

If this kid's dad is a Corvette guy like us, and is willing to help his kid into the hobby, I think that is a great thing.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:56 AM
desue
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's great to see the younger generation get into these old cars.
But a C3 as a daily driver, I would say no way. Reasons being, they are not the most reliable and comfortable. Technology has come a long way in 40+ years as far as your safety and driving comfort. Coming from a Corvette family, I'm sure you appreciate these cars and would take excellent care of one. But it's the OTHER PEOPLE I would worry about. Driving a Corvette (or any sports car) seems to bring out the a$$hole in jealous envious people who wouldn't mind a bit to key your car or worse.
I bought my own teenager a used 350z, she has had some nasty comments made to her and several dents (one very large one that had to take some force to put there)
Those are some things you need to consider.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:24 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
If this kid's dad is a Corvette guy like us, and is willing to help his kid into the hobby, I think that is a great thing.
My dad helped me on my first, if not financially, at least him being there helped me get my feet wet. I hope if this kid does get his first one, paid for by daddy or not, he then shares his progress with all of us here on the forum!
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

These cars are more reliable than any american made car today. They don't have air bags but that isnt a reason to not have them. Reliability isnt a question because theres no computers sensors or advanced technology that will shut down the car. There is literally less to go wrong given oil changes, lubing, tuneups are all kept up with.

Water pumps ,power steering, alternator, and hoses and belts are all common to any car made except full electric cars, so the possibilties of being stranded by them is the exact same so if you eliminate those mathematically then the probability is considerably lower.
No electric fuel pumps or pressure sensors that will shut down the motor. It is feasible that you can limp home as long as its not a blow out.

Get the vette. Its less expensive than an 02 honda in repairs and inspections/ emissions

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 10-26-2016 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wcgreen (12-12-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

My first dozen cars were 60s eras cars
cheap to fix maintain etc. Nothing that couldnt be handled in a few min in an auto pts store parking lot. Thing is they never broke down.
I dont know why everyone says they are unreliable. Ive had more issues and expensive repairs in the last 1 or 2 efi cars bought new than all perhaps 50 cars Ive owned combined. Most of them were carbed.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Non of my carbed cars gave me trouble. All my computerized cars did. Had a windshield small leak that dripped on my computer and shrted out my fuel infector computer. Had crank position sensors suddenly stop, had o2 snsors go bad, before and after the cat so that was expensive. Ya, many extra parts to crap out and you need a computer reader to tell what is wrong.

Heres a good test

You need fuel, air and spark to get an engine to run

68 corvette
Fuel: Carb, fuel pump
Air: filter
Spark: ditributor, battery, ignition swtitch,

Mostly able to be diagnosed on the side of the road and bipassed or easily repaired

04 subaru
Fuel: injectors, injection computers, engine knock sensors, throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor, cam postion sensor, car main computer, 2 o2 sensors, etc...

Spark same as fuel and advanced hei system and computer

Air same as fuel

So if one system fails it will shut down the other systems and you can't fix it on the side of the road.

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 10-26-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Richard Daugird (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Disagree

Originally Posted by desue
It's great to see the younger generation get into these old cars.
But a C3 as a daily driver, I would say no way. Reasons being, they are not the most reliable and comfortable. Technology has come a long way in 40+ years as far as your safety and driving comfort. Coming from a Corvette family, I'm sure you appreciate these cars and would take excellent care of one. But it's the OTHER PEOPLE I would worry about. Driving a Corvette (or any sports car) seems to bring out the a$$hole in jealous envious people who wouldn't mind a bit to key your car or worse.
I bought my own teenager a used 350z, she has had some nasty comments made to her and several dents (one very large one that had to take some force to put there)
Those are some things you need to consider.
I disagree on two of your points. A C3 Corvette, just like any other piece of equipment, is only as reliable as the person who owns and maintains it. If it is properly taken care of, it is reliable. I get so tired of hearing how old cars, airplanes and motorcycles are not reliable. Yes, it requires more attention than a 2016 vehicle, but that's about all I will give it.

As for comfort, I could sit in my 77 stock seat from Pennsylvania to California, and think it is as comfortable as any seat I have set in. Now, the wife's Toyota Camry....good for about an hour.

Safety....you got that right. Modern vehicles are clearly safer. No doubt.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 10-26-2016 at 07:03 PM.
wcgreen (12-12-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I agree, I stated that above. New cars are the same. Im talking the vehicle not the clown driving it. Most old cars can sit for months and start right up. My 01 f250 sat for a couple of weeks and the throttle position sensor went bad, twice. THat was in 2005 with only 50,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 10-26-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Avon Dhawal
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Update 2017

Originally Posted by Avon Dhawal
Hi - Not really sure if this is in the right thread, but here it goes. I am currently 15 years old (sophomore in high school). I am getting my learners permit in a few months, and my parents have started to ask me what kind of car I am interested in driving. My dad currently owns a C7 Corvette, and previously owned a C6, so as you can imagine, I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to being around these things. I looked around, and I've decided that the C3 Corvettes have my favorite body styles. I'm not too interested in doing a ton of work on it, but replacing things here & there shouldn't be an issue. I would have to buy a '75 or older, since I live in California and emission regulations are something to consider (vehicles from '75 & older are exempt from smog checks, etc.). Considering price & insurance costs aren't huge issues, & my parents are fine with me driving one, are there any other issues I should know about when it comes to C3 Corvettes in general?
Thanks
Well, it's been a while.
First off, thank you to everyone who replied, whether in support or not. It's been almost a year since the original post, and I figured I'd give an update and address some of the replies. For clarification, I live in Southern California. No snow here. I also want to make it clear that the town I live in is small, and old cars are part of the culture. I live about half a mile from my school, and have access to numerous other cars, so a broken down C3 won't be the end of the world. You might be wondering why I am even going to get a car, considering I live so close to school and I don't really have a job. Long story short, my mom thinks I should, and I want to, so there.

Next, I wanted to give an update to whether or not I ever managed to get a 'Vette. Almost a year later, the answer is no. I wanted to focus on learning to drive, so that's what I've been doing. My mom even taught me to drive stick. That brings me to the next point of clarification. The only real reason I mentioned my dad's Corvette was because I thought it would give an explanation as to why I was looking into buying a Corvette in the first place. My dad has no mechanical knowledge whatsoever, I don't even live with him. He's one of those people who buys a Corvette simply because they look and go fast. My mom is the one with mechanical knowledge who was lobbying for me to get my hands on anything classic. She owns a '65 VW Karmann Ghia, which she's had for over 30 years. It's her daily. After reading many of the original replies, I came to understand that safety is one of the major issues with the whole idea, which is fair. I suppose I'll have to be careful then

On to the current day. I've spent the last year learning about cars, as it's become one of my biggest interests, right up there with computer engineering. I've helped my mom's boyfriend in his VW shop, helping him tune EFIs and other things. I wanted to make this post to let everyone know that while my original post may have started off as me just asking stupid questions about a car I kind of liked but didn't know much about, I have stuck with the C3 for the last year, and fully intend to buy one. As soon as I find one for the right price, I'll be making posts on here to document my journey. Whether you support the decision or not, I ask that you wish me luck.

Thanks, Avon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Avon Dhawal:
mrvette (10-19-2017), Torqued Off (10-18-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 04:44 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Absolutely , best of luck

I think you will do fine in what ever you choose to be .

And will find and drive a very nice c3 corvette .
Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Avon... Dude... Best of luck!! Everyone is in their own situation, and some will judge. Be your own man. If you dream of a C3 and have the ability to acquire one - go for it! Just remember to step back from time to time and appreciate what you have.

As pointed out, these cars don't have all of the safety features, most of which are taken for granted on modern cars, so you have to be careful. That said, it's a true and active driving experience.

We need more people in the hobby, whether it's a driver C3 or a Mark IV Jetta with a tune and coilovers, so hats off to anyone who is willing to learn, roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. Welcome.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:24 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I sure wouldn't be worried about doing work on an old C3. Pretty much anything you need to know you can learn on the internet.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:18 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Avon........have you considered buying repair manuals for the specific year Corvette you are thinking about? I always buy a couple manuals and read them cover to cover before I buy the car/motorcycle/etc. Then I decide which system on the vehicle I want to repair/update first.

Example.......

I ALWAYS repair safety items first......brakes.....worn suspension parts....electrical system/headlights/tail lights/brake lights/turn signals/etc.

You get the idea
Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Avon, first of all let me tell you I hate you. But that is just jealousy speaking from my dark side. I wish my parents would of encouraged me like yours have. You like what you like and sometimes there is no reason for it. When I was your age, my neighbor let me drive his 59 Vette and I was hooked. I always wanted one and had a chance to buy the 59 in 1981 for a song and passed on it due to my parents telling me I could not have it and it because they said so with no explanation. It took a lot of time for me to buy one, many years later.
I am in Oceanside and check craigslist all the time for parts and stuff and see C3's all the time for various prices. I do not know the shape of some of these, but they can be had for quite a range of prices. Also if your in the San Diego area, check with Steve at SoCal vettes as he sells off whole running cars once in a while. Good luck and chase your dream car.
I hate you! but I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Last edited by Lobzila; 10-18-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Best of luck to you in your pursuit. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Corvette for a teenager?

Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Talk about over thinking things. Buy the best old Vette you can afford and deal with it. Air bags! LOL, even at age 57 safety concerns like this barely register on my radar. If anyone gets burnt out on old cars because of a few hair pulling repairs, this hobby wasn't for you anyway.

This thread reminds me of a friend that passed away recently. Spent his whole life mentally preparing for just about every conceivable problem and ended up doing little to nothing except preparing.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Sounds like you have all of the right ingredients to be a full-on gear head like the rest of us....the ambition, the enthusiasm, the support, the facilities and patience too! All that's left is the actual purchase. Good luck, there are a ton of nice C3's out there.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

A Karmann Ghia was the only VW I ever yearned for back in the 60’s when growing up. At least it seemed affordable and relatively easy to work on. But alas it was not to be, I ended up with a ’63 Corvette and the rest as they say, is history.

It sounds like your Mother is a great role model for a young car guy. Good for you and hang in there.

Good luck... GUSTO

Quick Reply: C3 Corvette for a teenager?