Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Corvette for a teenager?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:18 AM
Avon Dhawal
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default C3 Corvette for a teenager?

Hi - Not really sure if this is in the right thread, but here it goes. I am currently 15 years old (sophomore in high school). I am getting my learners permit in a few months, and my parents have started to ask me what kind of car I am interested in driving. My dad currently owns a C7 Corvette, and previously owned a C6, so as you can imagine, I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to being around these things. I looked around, and I've decided that the C3 Corvettes have my favorite body styles. I'm not too interested in doing a ton of work on it, but replacing things here & there shouldn't be an issue. I would have to buy a '75 or older, since I live in California and emission regulations are something to consider (vehicles from '75 & older are exempt from smog checks, etc.). Considering price & insurance costs aren't huge issues, & my parents are fine with me driving one, are there any other issues I should know about when it comes to C3 Corvettes in general?
Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Hello Avon. First post huh? Welcome.

Here is a thread to review prior to your purchase. Excellent information.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 10-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Masonwader
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In addition to the great advice listed in the forum he posted. Does your dad know how to work on a carburetored engine? Is he fairly familiar with distributor points and willing to teach you how to do an occasional tune up? If you have the budget and get a car in decent shape you simply need to learn the maintenance. What kind of C3 do you like the best? Chrome bumper or rubber bumper? flat rear glass or bubble glass?
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:12 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Avon Dhawal
Hi - Not really sure if this is in the right thread, but here it goes. I am currently 15 years old (sophomore in high school). I am getting my learners permit in a few months, and my parents have started to ask me what kind of car I am interested in driving. My dad currently owns a C7 Corvette, and previously owned a C6, so as you can imagine, I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to being around these things. I looked around, and I've decided that the C3 Corvettes have my favorite body styles. I'm not too interested in doing a ton of work on it, but replacing things here & there shouldn't be an issue. I would have to buy a '75 or older, since I live in California and emission regulations are something to consider (vehicles from '75 & older are exempt from smog checks, etc.). Considering price & insurance costs aren't huge issues, & my parents are fine with me driving one, are there any other issues I should know about when it comes to C3 Corvettes in general?
Thanks
I'm 17 and got my corvette when I was 16 and I'm in love with it, If you can get one I say go for it. You will most likely have some issues here and there (sometimes making the car undriveable) so if your father or you have any mechanical experience it would definitely come in handy. Also don't settle for less than you want. If you want a convertible Blue '75 with a 4spd and black leather interior make sure to find the one you want or you will regret it in the long run. Good luck and I hope you get it! Heres some pics of my '78 Name:  photo53.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  1,010.0 KBName:  photo403.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  1.12 MBName:  photo229.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  1,007.9 KB
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by cdavis03:
Fredric Björnefält (01-05-2021), Street Rat (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:14 PM
GraphicFeedback
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, I love my 72 convertible. It's a blast to drive, but I feel like I have to say the responsible thing too and suggest looking at other cars for your first. Old vettes don't have air bags, the maintenance can be an extra hassle to deal with when you're likely wrapped up in school/work too. When you're 18 you might find yourself moving out and wishing you had a car that could transport a bit more. When winter comes around, or you want to take a big trip across the state, keep it in mind you're driving an old 2 seater, rear wheel drive that loves to drink gasoline. haha. If you're anything like me when I was a few years younger, I was stupid and texted while driving too, or would get distracted by friends in the car -- just looking out for your safety.

On the other hand, you'll feel like the coolest kid on the block. haha. My first car was a '98 Oldsmobile Aurora that succumb to poor maintenance (I was a stupid kid). My second was a Prius that is still kicking after 260k miles, some flood damage, and a replacement battery/engine. But I tell you, the Vette is the only one I've ever cared about enough to really maintain it's condition.

---- On that note, if anyone could link me a good "routine maintenance" thread I'll love you long time. I'm still learning.

Originally Posted by cdavis03
If you want a convertible Blue '75 with a 4spd and black leather interior make sure to find the one you want or you will regret it in the long run.
This I agree with too. I first got intrigued by a nearby vette for a lot cheaper, but the obsession grew until I found my dream car several states away. It was worth the trip, and I'm glad I waited until the right one showed up.

Last edited by GraphicFeedback; 10-24-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

If your parents are cool with driving a pre 75 car that's great. Just don't hit anything.

Were in CA are you?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:58 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I love my C3, but I would submit that a C4 or C5 might be a better fit for a teenager. The main reasons are fuel injection and more cargo space.

A gently used C4 can be had for under 10K and a decent C5 can be had for 15K.

I will say that although the C7 has much more HP, the C5 can be a beast in the hands of an inexperienced driver. If I were ot buy a C4 it would not be an 84 because of Cross Fire Fuel Injection. The C5 is a little easier to work on, but both my C4 and my C5 were mostly trouble free except for headlight motors. I think a DD C3 is going to require some tweeking.

Just my opinion though. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by crawfish333; 10-24-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

I have both a C3 and a C4. As per the other post I would lean towards a C4. A C4 is one the most underpriced perf cars out there for the money. Handling is still phenomenal after 30 years. More reliable than a C3 as well!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 AM
big mort
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought my C3 when I was a sophomore in high school. It took me a year to get it road worthy but I certainly enjoyed driving it to school and the beach on the weekends. I was in NJ so I didn't have to deal with emissions, which is why that stuff came off right away, but I did have to borrow my parents car to get to school in the bad weather, which you may not have to deal with in Cali.

One time, I hit some rain and took a corner too fast after my taking my SATs though. I "drifted" sideways into a gas station parking lot, so I realized how easy it was to lose control in a C3 and stopped gunnin it so hard all the time.

PS the chicks digged the T-tops.

Last edited by big mort; 10-25-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:43 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

70's vette can be found for a song. But 99 % or those found prizes , will take another 7-10 thousand dollars to make them a decent looking reliable driver. One with few issues will cost you. Plus unless you buy a completely restored car ....usually 20-40 grand , there is going to be stuff break all the time or issues crop up . If you buy a 5 grand car it will be in the shop more than in your garage.

A decent daily driver will cost the price of a new Honda .
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,254 Likes on 3,902 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Welcome aboard. If you're in southern cali you wont need a winter car. As for the distributor you can replace it with a small cap HEI and you won't have to deal with point gaps and dwell. Plus it gives you a more dependable and stronger spark. Definitely read the 10 things to know sticky, rust is a killer. My priorities are

1. Body and paint. Certaintly the most expensive and labor intensive problems. Find the car you want with decent paint so you wont have to deal with it until you can afford it

2. Rust. Windshield rust and body mount rust are hell to deal with. Buy an arizona or southern cali car so it will not be a problem. Dont trust it isnt rusty, check it.

3. Cost. The more you spend the less you'll spend. I dont know your budget but I doubt you'll be looking at numbers matching factory original NCRS show cars, but you will find trying to keep it all original will make it more expensive. If you do find a deal on a mostly original early 79s car, keep any parts you take off and replace them with a good replacement. You dont have to find factory original oem parts for basic mechanical parts that are consumables like alternators, water pumps, calipers, power steering pumps, etc. You can get good rebuilds from auto parts stores and it will save you a bunch. But I would save the originals for rebuilds or for when you decide to trestore it 20 years from now. Some parts youbwill have to pay more for since they arent common to other gm cars like body trim, the wiper system, vacuum systems, inerior parts ets.

4. Purchase the AIM assembli instruction manual and a shop manual for your year. Dont bother with new Chilton or haynes since they are to general. If you find an old manual from the year yours was built it is much better written.

5. Get what you desire so you aren't bad mouthing and treating what you have like crap. She'll know and it make the whole relationship a dumpster fire. Its the same with the corvette.

6. Dont be afraid to ask questions and learn. Having good tools will help and once you buy a good tool it should last your lifetime so you won't have to buy it again. It'll give you pride in your car and confidence in your life. These old cars arent mysteries like the computers on the new ones. They are simple and basic. Anyone can work one them, its just following directions to repair or replace the components. The hard part is diagnosing what is broken.

7. Engine and drive train. All easily replaceable and relatively cheap to buy. If you have to, you can go buy a chevy crate engine and drop it in and swap on your good parts and your ready to go. 4 speeds are common and any good tranny shop can rebuild them, but find one that ahs an excellent reputation and tell them you want to see it broken down and have them give you all the parts they are replacing, some shops reuse bearings and its a bad idea. Always get the synchros replaced even if they say they look good. Its worth it in the long run.

8. Tires. Dont use tires over ten years old even if they look good. If they blow your car can literally be torn apart.

Ill add more later

Good luck
Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Go for it. Be reasonable as you have no electronics safety net or airbags. Learn its abilities and yours in a SAFE environment with dad and commit yourself to some inexpensive auto cross or hpde time when you want to go faster. Commit yourself. We need new people interested in old Corvettes.

Buy the very very best car you can afford. You will always spend more (much more) making a driver c3 better in terms of paint and major mechanicals than you would if you. Ought a good and pretty car immediately. Anything else is false economy and a lot of the nicely built rubber bumper c3's you see are done for reasons other than financial sense. This goes for garden variety 68-72's as well. When you start pricing paint and full interior restorations you'll see what I mean.

Maintenance- not rebuild- is no biggie. Let us know what you do.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:22 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I owned a car like you have in your profile picture (88 35th) It was a great car and handled like it was on rails. I only sold it because I was transferred overseas and could only store one of my Vettes.

Originally Posted by MRANT212
I have both a C3 and a C4. As per the other post I would lean towards a C4. A C4 is one the most underpriced perf cars out there for the money. Handling is still phenomenal after 30 years. More reliable than a C3 as well!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:18 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Unless yo pay for it yourself, and pay for all the repairs, you probably wont stick it out until the end. Of Mommy and Daddy are paying for it, you'll most likely get tired and fed up with it. I have seen this happen time and time again. Maybe you are one of the exceptions? Make a thread posting up your progress once you find a car.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

You lucky bastard! You will be the high school hero. I had to drive other cars over thirty years before I finally got a 'Vette. So what if it breaks down once in a while, you can bum rides with your buddies(get them to help fix it. That's what we did in high school). If the old man is willing to help make it happen, GO FOR IT!!!! Get a '74, no catalytic converters, sleeker bumpers with no black rubber "bumps". If you can swing a '68-'72 even better!

P.S. I agree, get the nicest one you can, cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Unless yo pay for it yourself, and pay for all the repairs, you probably wont stick it out until the end. Of Mommy and Daddy are paying for it, you'll most likely get tired and fed up with it.
I totally disagree. Not being able to afford a car and the repairs is more likely to cause you to get tired and fed up with it. I wish my dad had an interest in cars when I was a kid, we probably would have gotten along a lot better. He just turned 70 and finally got a 'Vette a while back, now we have something to talk about.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Taking care of a C3 Corvette is exactly what a youngster needs to make him a better man, more capable of taking care of himself, and learning something about pride in accomplishment. This is in sharp contrast to the typical millennial kids of today who are mostly useless, whining crybabies that couldn't put air in tire, let alone maintain an old car.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Corvette for a teenager?

Old 10-25-2016, 06:25 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Huh... Wasn't there a thread here recently saying these young guys had no interest in our old Vettes?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:25 PM
cdavis03
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
Huh... Wasn't there a thread here recently saying these young guys had no interest in our old Vettes?
I drive my '78 to school everyday and you wouldn't believe all the attention it gets and how many people want to talk to me about it (or ride in it lol) I think the younger generations are more interested in the old stuff then they are the new! All my friends dream cars are like '70 Chevelle, '69 Camaro, '69 Vette, or '69 Mustang Fastback, most don't mention some new unrealistic car and it surprises me haha.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Good luck, son's friend did same with a '72 wound up selling to uncle because of insurance reasons, might want to look at avail. Insurance options.
Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 Corvette for a teenager?