Sponsored by:

Replace electric radio antenna with fixed antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:25 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Replace electric radio antenna with fixed antenna

Hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a 78 Pace Car that has the stock electric radio antenna. It has recently stopped working (stays in the extended position at all times whether ignition is on or off and also with the radio on or off). I'm thinking about replacing the electric unit with a fixed mast antenna. Is this possible and how complicated is the job? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

My advise is to go the much cheaper and certified original route and buy the replacement gear-cord and replace it. Google the instructions online. I replaced and reinstalled it in an evening. Very satisfying.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2016, 06:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: the 78 assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows the factory installation of both types, fixed mast and electric, if you want to go that route. All Pace Cars came with the electric antenna as part of the Pace Car package.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi g,
The fixed antenna is relatively easy to install but gaining access to it is somewhat more difficult because of the muffler, gas tank, and spare tire carrier.
If the the antenna cable running to the radio needs to be replaced to use the fixed mast the work involved increases quite a bit because it is routed through the interior.
Here are a couple photos of the fixed antenna….from above and below.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-29-2016 at 07:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
golfboy (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 06:45 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

P/Owner had the antenna removed from the fender, and layed flat out in front of the gas tank, under the glass, hole filled in....being as the car is fiberglass there is no issue with reception, like a metal car.....

I never thought of it for a couple years....busy doing other stuff....and so when getting to the rear suspension/brakes/etc....I found it and just laughed....as an old ET, of course I knew immediately what was about.....

maybe plug the fugly hole with a decorative piece and just extend the antenna and lay it out under the glass????

Get notified of new replies

To Replace electric radio antenna with fixed antenna

Quick Reply: Replace electric radio antenna with fixed antenna