Sponsored by:

Transport questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:48 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Transport questions

Looks like we finally sold our house and will be heading for the new job in February. I plan on hauling my 77 behind the moving truck but living here in western NY there is a definite chance of horrid weather. Have any of you guys hauled your vette in inclimate weather? And if so what precautions did you take. Thanks
Old 12-15-2016, 08:01 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I would not chance it, can you store the cr somewhere(rent a storage unit) until better weather comes in?? how far away are you moving??/ know of someone that has a trailor for hauling cars/// pay someone that has one to haul it? wait awhile to drive it to new location??
Old 12-15-2016, 10:02 PM
danh77
Pro

It's a 1300 mile move and I will already be storing 2 of my other cars and getting them transported later. I have to haul one myself so I'm in a bit of a bind trying to figure what's best way to prep it for possible adverse weather.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by danh77
Looks like we finally sold our house and will be heading for the new job in February. I plan on hauling my 77 behind the moving truck but living here in western NY there is a definite chance of horrid weather. Have any of you guys hauled your vette in inclimate weather? And if so what precautions did you take. Thanks
see if there is a boat place that does the white plastic shrink wrap and have them do a double shrink wrap.If you are using a I haul trailer I had to put some 2x12s under tires so it would clear .Good luck
Wes
Old 12-15-2016, 10:17 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

well if it was me ,I would drive the darn thing ,get down there and have someone detail it !!
Old 12-16-2016, 05:25 AM
danh77
Pro

Originally Posted by Bills69n84
well if it was me ,I would drive the darn thing ,get down there and have someone detail it !!
I like that idea a lot only problem with that would be that somehow in nearly 30 years together my wife and I have accumulated more stuff than the vette can carry.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:26 AM
danh77
Pro

Originally Posted by 530planeman
see if there is a boat place that does the white plastic shrink wrap and have them do a double shrink wrap.If you are using a I haul trailer I had to put some 2x12s under tires so it would clear .Good luck
Wes
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. That's exactly why I posted the question
Old 12-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Put it on the trailer, tie your car cover around it, and get on the road.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:05 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

carcover could mess up the paint job. Just pay me to come and drive it to your new place!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:50 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I would put it on the trailer uncovered and go. If you hit bad weather have it detailed. Just plan things well, leave two or three extra days incase of bad weather. About 8 years ago our son was having trouble finding a job after getting out of the Navy. He went to visit a friend in New Mexico and decided he liked it there and managed to find a job. So my wife and I rented a Uhaul truck and loaded his things up and hooked his bass boat to the back and headed from Mass to NM end of February. Second day we left our hotel in PA about 6AM by 7 it started snowing and by 8:30 I pulled into a hotel and stopped for the day. Left next day with about 18 inches of snow on the ground, bright sunshine and all highways clear. Not a problem as long as you plan and stay safe. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
danh77 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:53 AM
danh77
Pro

530 planeman, when you trailered yours did you drive it on or back it on? From looking at the trailer wheel straps it looks like a lot of car would be hanging over the front of the trailer.

Lvmyvt76, I see your location is Missouri. I would bet you would have no desire to see western NY in February. It was 4 this morning and I think it's 11 now( that's degrees not time) and we have over 2 foot of snow so who knows how horrid it could be in a few months.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:40 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

530 planeman, when you trailered yours did you drive it on or back it on? From looking at the trailer wheel straps it looks like a lot of car would be hanging over the front of the trailer.

Lvmyvt76, I see your location is Missouri. I would bet you would have no desire to see western NY in February. It was 4 this morning and I think it's 11 now( that's degrees not time) and we have over 2 foot of snow so who knows how horrid it could be in a few months.
danh77 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

i drove mine onto the uhaul trailer. you just need someone to watch for clearance on the rocker panels. You can park on an incline and put the trailer at the bottom and that will give you additional clearance. If you cant go the boat wrap route. You can put a big tarp on the trailler and use a come along to haul it up or drive it on and shut it down quickly, then use a second tarp and make it into a vette burritto. Just either tape the crap out of those little metal eyes or cut them off completely to avoid chipping if the tarp starts to whip. Then just use a lot of rope and tie it all down. The road salt and dirt coming off the back of the hauling vehicle can "sand blast" the front of the towed vehicle. Of course that is a bit of an exaggeration but the visual is the point I want to get across.

Good luck on your move, watch the weather channel and look for a good weather window. Drive sanely and pray the other drivers are too.
danh77 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:24 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

I think I would build some type of barrier on the front of the trailer to protect the car from debree flying up from the tow vehicle!
Old 12-17-2016, 07:56 AM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default accumulating stuff

I like that idea a lot only problem with that would be that somehow in nearly 30 years together my wife and I have accumulated more stuff than the vette can carry.
First advice, Drive the vette to your new place, then fly home. Main problem solved.

As for accumulating stuff...I hear your pain. My wife and I had the same issue. Moving from a 3600 square foot farmhouse with a finished 3 bay barn, literally on top of a mountain, into a 1500 square foot cottage on the seashore. My solution was to give about 3/4 of all the crap we accumulated over 30 years to one of my helpers, who had a perpetual garage sale going on. Now that is recycling!

Of course now, 4 years later, whenever we go looking for something, my wife tells me "you must have given that to your pal Rich". Can't win.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:39 AM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've hauled a bunch of cars for people. I have a sloan kwikload trailer but I chose not to use the wind fairing. I never leave a cover on cars anymore. Several times I've had things get under the cover and as it whips going down the road it's caused damage. Covers are great for in the garage to keep off dust. The uncovered car will get dirty but unless you have a mint condition show car it wont be so bad that it can't wash off. A clean and waxed car is easier to clean afterwards than a car that was dirty to begin with. If you are using the uhaul trailer go to home depot first and get a couple of 2x12's. Have them behind each ramp on the trailer. If your car sits real low cut the 2x12's into 2 and 5 foot sections and screw them together. Set the uhaul ramp on those and then use that ramp to drive up onto the trailer. Get the car on the trailer and strap it down. There are holes in the frame that you can put some strap hooks into but you can stop at northern tool or tractor supply and get tow hooks with loops on them that all straps will fit in. Tie all four corners and use the safety straps just don't wrap the back ones over the spreader bars, use the frame. Once you get out of bad weather stop and wash the car. Driving a uhaul and pulling a loaded trailer youre not going to go fast enough to cause problems but drive careful and check your straps every hundred miles. Use four straps and keep them tight. Frame of car to hooks on trailer. People forget they have a trailer behind their trucks and that's what causes the most damage.

Moving 1200 miles away from NY, where you going?
danh77 (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:33 AM
danh77
Pro

[QUOTE=texaswilkins;1593679918

Moving 1200 miles away from NY, where you going?[/QUOTE]

Going back to south Florida, I worked for Mercedes Benz for a long time before we moved up here and they have been trying for awhile to get me to come back. Figured we've raised the kids, got them both off in college, so time to head back to the warm weather.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:40 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills69n84
I think I would build some type of barrier on the front of the trailer to protect the car from debree flying up from the tow vehicle!
That is a good idea . A few years ago we went from Pa. to NY in January to haul a street rod back to Pa. and just wrapped the front end with some plastic. We hit a huge snow storm coming through Buffalo ( spinning all four wheels in4x4 truck on interstate ) By the time we got home the entire car was entombed in ice and snow , most of it from the tow vehicle spinning. If I was to do it again I would build a plywood barrier on the front.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:48 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Just hire Intercity Lines or another transporter to transport it for you in their enclosed trailer.

Get notified of new replies

To Transport questions

Quick Reply: Transport questions