Sponsored by:

trailing arm bushing tool needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:41 PM
merc77
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailing arm bushing tool needed

I am looking to stake my trailing arm bushing so I was wondering If anyone had a press style flaring tool to sell or rent? Or is there another way to get the job done?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 AM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by merc77
I am looking to stake my trailing arm bushing so I was wondering If anyone had a press style flaring tool to sell or rent? Or is there another way to get the job done?
I have one that I don't intend to use again. I've loaned it out a number of times but I think it's time to start reducing some of my inventory. I'll ship it to you for $35, includes postage. PM if interested.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:29 PM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Just my advice - I reused my oem side plates. They have a deeper bevel and the staked bushing flare seats in there nicely. The new ones did not have a deep enough bevel and the flare was sticking out, screwing with the shims. I would loan you mine but last time I didn't get it back for 6 mos.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:46 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

That's a great offer from 64, but you could also build your own.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-tool.html
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 68notray
Just my advice - I reused my oem side plates. They have a deeper bevel and the staked bushing flare seats in there nicely. The new ones did not have a deep enough bevel and the flare was sticking out, screwing with the shims. I would loan you mine but last time I didn't get it back for 6 mos.
As long as you did a good job of staking it just grind what is sticking out back off.

Brian
Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Wee
As long as you did a good job of staking it just grind what is sticking out back off.

Brian

It is written somewhere that I ave read that filing the staked sleeve to the washer flat is required after it has been staked. I do every trailing arm bushing I stake.

DUB
Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

See I do listen DUB....Thank You for the tip. Right side is finished and ready to go back on the car.....I have the parts coming tomorrow to begin putting the left side back together.

Brian
The following users liked this post:
DUB (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 05:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

And something that IF a person is replacing the trailing arm pivot bolt. I would highly advise setting it up in place and checking to make sure the castle portion of the nut will do line up with the hole in the bolt.

Often times when they drill the hole in the bolt..it is not in the same location as the facotry one. Thus it may require you to add another washer at the head of the bolt.

AND...if they give you a cheesy castle nut that does not look beefy as the factory one. I re-use the facotry castle nut. Because I always look at this area when a Corvette with these type of trailing arms comes in and IF the nut has been changed...or the cotter pin can not even do its job because the hole in the bolt is out past the castle nut...I begin to 'wonder' if they did it right....and many times they did it completely wrong.

Also the torque on the trailing arm pivot bolt is 45 lbs/ft.

DUB
Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wee
See I do listen DUB....Thank You for the tip. Right side is finished and ready to go back on the car.....I have the parts coming tomorrow to begin putting the left side back together.

Brian
Yes you do. I am glad it is coming together for you.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To trailing arm bushing tool needed

Quick Reply: trailing arm bushing tool needed