Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:14 PM
JONLF
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver door won't open - shop recomendation north central florida

Hi all,

My drivers side door won't open, it seems like it's stuck between lock and unlock perhaps. I locked it and when I went to unlock it it seems jammed, maybe the lock mechanism against the striker is not functioning correctly; key turns all the way - interior **** shows it's in the unlock position but no go. Anyway, does anyone that lives in north central florida have a body shop that they can recommend to fix this? Much appreciated.

regards, jon
Old 01-08-2017, 03:20 PM
JONLF
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

should have mentioned - i'm in Gainesville florida, thanks.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by JONLF
should have mentioned - i'm in Gainesville florida, thanks.
What year vette are we talking about please.
R
Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Find a repo guy with a slim jim. It's a long, flat piece of steel with a noth cut into the ege. You slide it down inside of the door against the glass. When you find the actuating rod, simply pull the slim Jim UP until you contact the rod, then give it a pull.

Spot the guy a $20.
c
Or you can buy one here;

http://www.tcpglobal.com/TCP-LT-1010...Q#.WHK9AvkrLIU

Last edited by steersdad; 01-08-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-08-2017, 07:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Question is this....can you get into the car from the other side. OR..are you completely locked out???? There is a reason why I am asking this.

DUB
Old 01-09-2017, 08:55 AM
JONLF
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Many thanks for all the replies. It's a 73 and yes I can get into it from the passenger side. I think the issue may have to do with one of the rods binding/seizing insdie teh door panel maybe. The lock/unlock **** inside the car on the drivers door panel won't budge and is in the Unlock position (in other words I can't Lock it with the inside ****). The key turns fully and there is a very slight sound like it's partially catching but it's shut tight. Thank again for the replies, they are appreciated.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 AM
JONLF
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

The inside **** won't budget either way - it doesn't move. The key moves fully either way from the outside.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

This post may help you out.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bloodzone
This post may help you out.
EXACTLY. The photo in the post provided will allow you to lower your door glass and press on the area shown. Once you get the door open....then it is a matter of removing your door panel and finding what the problem is.

If you still have problems or can not figure it out...please post good photos of your concerns and we can help you out.

DUB
Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 AM
JONLF
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

I am very grateful for the replies, they were very very helpful. I had a pretty good view of the same area as the photo posted with someone holding a flashlight for me. I could not find the tab itself, but saw the other components. I was able to use the flathead and I pushed on one of the rods and it moved it ever so slightly and unbound a bit - and I was then able, mostly with blind luck,to unbind it fully by turning the inside **** back and forth a few times and it popped loose and moves very freely now.

Is it me, or am I missing how nearly impossible it would be to remove the inside door panel if the door remained shut? That must be quite a task if had to do it. Don't see how that can be done without the panel being damaged since one of the screws at the top of the door panel can't be accessed with the door shut.
Kind regards and thanks again, Jon
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Jon,
You can do this and you HAVE to do this. Take your time and look a the photo and then closely look at you latch. The reason is this. The OPTION of doing it another way is SO MUCH more involved....that you would WISH you took the time and used the link showing where to push.

OR....take your door panel of the other side and get a really good look at the latch...then look down from the top and see what it looks like...then go over to the other side and pop the door open.

NO LIE...I can pop a door open with a long flat blade screwdriver and flashlight in well under 30 seconds.

I can say that trying to do this outside with bright sunshine DOES make it harder. If it is dark out...then it will show up so much easier because the flashlight can shine the latch up really well....BECAUSE this tab is kinda hidden but is accessible. If I have to do them outside on a sunny day. I take a thick blanket and cover myself and the door so I can darken the area so the ONLY light is from my flashlight.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To driver door won't open - shop recomendation north central florida

Quick Reply: driver door won't open - shop recomendation north central florida