Moving a power seat when there's no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 09:10 PM
PonchoVette
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving a power seat when there's no power

Hey folks-
I'm starting to replace the carpet in my 81, and had a question. The passenger seat came out without much trouble, but my driver's seat is a power seat. Sadly, the power part of the seat doesn't work. My question is whether or not there's a secret way to move the seat manually that I have not figured out so I can access the bolts that hold the seat in.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by PonchoVette
Hey folks-
I'm starting to replace the carpet in my 81, and had a question. The passenger seat came out without much trouble, but my driver's seat is a power seat. Sadly, the power part of the seat doesn't work. My question is whether or not there's a secret way to move the seat manually that I have not figured out so I can access the bolts that hold the seat in.
Nope.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 AM
M. Young
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Nope.
Nope+1

...but the nuts that hold the seat down are under the car.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:20 AM
PonchoVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by M. Young
Nope+1

...but the nuts that hold the seat down are under the car.
Yep, that's how I started to try to take the passenger seat out, but the nuts under the car are square (at least on my car) and the ones I tried to remove- the ones that I had enough room to even get a wrench on- would not budge at all. That led me to the *assumption* that they may be welded nuts attached to the floor pan, and I'd have to go after it from inside the car.

Maybe the ones on the driver side will be more cooperative.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Is it the motor or the switch that doesn't work? I was thinking you could bypass switch with power if you got lucky.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by PonchoVette
Yep, that's how I started to try to take the passenger seat out, but the nuts under the car are square (at least on my car) and the ones I tried to remove- the ones that I had enough room to even get a wrench on- would not budge at all. That led me to the *assumption* that they may be welded nuts attached to the floor pan, and I'd have to go after it from inside the car.

Maybe the ones on the driver side will be more cooperative.
The driver and passenger seats each mount differently in 81-82's.

The driver's side seat tracks have studs on them, that go through the floor, and get nuts threaded on to them from underneath. The passenger side floor has nut plates in it, that the seat tracks get bolted to from inside the car.

The illustration is from the 82 Assembly Manual, but the 81 is the same.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:41 AM
PonchoVette
Advanced

Thats helpful, thanks. I looked at my AIM before I started, but was confused between the illustration and what I saw under the car.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 PM
MarkinSETX
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 81 as well. My drivers power seat would not work at first either. The previous poster was correct, I had four studs protruding underneath the car, I loosen the nuts all them and pulled the seat right out. The problem with mine was someone had used a vampire plug on the ground and it wasn't getting ground correctly. I also had a bad connector. I tested with the meter, found that I had good power and ground prior to the plug, changed out the plug and now my seat works. Except for one of the motors doesn't seem to want to come online, but it does move front and back. My wife is much happier as we are different lengths. Good luck
Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkinSETX
I have an 81 as well. My drivers power seat would not work at first either. The previous poster was correct, I had four studs protruding underneath the car, I loosen the nuts all them and pulled the seat right out. The problem with mine was someone had used a vampire plug on the ground and it wasn't getting ground correctly. I also had a bad connector. I tested with the meter, found that I had good power and ground prior to the plug, changed out the plug and now my seat works. Except for one of the motors doesn't seem to want to come online, but it does move front and back. My wife is much happier as we are different lengths. Good luck
A member here took mine apart, cleaned the gear cases and cables, greased them up, now they all work well. Hardened grease, hair, pepsi-cola, french fries, all that junk over the years gums them up.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving a power seat when there's no power

Quick Reply: Moving a power seat when there's no power