Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:31 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Oem verses nos parts.

There is a big difference between OEM & NOS parts. OEM parts are the same as were put on at the factory. NOS only means that it was bought at a GM parts dealer. I was buying NOS parts for Corvettes that were 30 years old. Parts were NOS but may or in most cases are not exactly like original. I have learned the hard way that parts change but will work & have the same PN. Be careful to know which you are looking for.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Im curious, what type of new old stock parts were/are you able to get? It is my understanding that most auto and cycle manufacturers quit supporting after about 10yrs. I'm sure if there was a lot of cross utilization they would have certain parts.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi K,
"There is a big difference between OEM & NOS parts. OEM parts are the same as were put on at the factory. NOS only means that it was bought at a GM parts dealer."
This may not always be true, for example; the 68-72 rally wheel trim rings sold OVER THE COUNTER during 68-72 were OEM at that time, and both OEM and perhaps NOS now, but are not the same as the rally wheel trim rings put in the storage compartments of cars on the production line at St.Louis.
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Perhaps its some ebay curse but i find a lot of stuff labled oem that is not up to par with what the factory used...
Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

My post was to explain that NOS dose NOT mean that it is just like the original part in most cases. I know you can't buy them now from a GM parts department but 20/25 years ago you could. I had a whole garage full that I sold at auction. A lot of over the counter parts in original boxes/ bags are still being sold as the same as originally came on the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Oem verses nos parts.

Quick Reply: Oem verses nos parts.