New to owning and the forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New to owning and the forum

Hey guys,

Hello all! My dream (before I was dating and now married) was to own a Corvette before I turned 30. That dream was looking like just a dream (thank you student loans) until I was able to buy a '74 Vette that obviously needs lots of work for the price of 3k. I'm new to the forum and ownership, and for that matter, working on cars, but so far am loving all of it. It's cold here in Wisconsin, but can't wait for it to warm up and get lots of work and driving in! I really enjoy reading all your posts too! I'm hoping one day to get a '68-'70 Vette as well...and hopefully a few new ones.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:34 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car. Feel free to ask any questions. I can relate to your wishes for warmer weather.

Last edited by MelWff; 02-04-2017 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vettedreamer74 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Thank you MelWff! I will definitely be asking questions. Just need to figure out what to start working on first.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:17 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

It's nice to hear that there is someone from the "younger generation", that has an interest in older Corvettes. Now a days, a lot of us in the hobby are gray haired, or bald! Of course, that means some of us have been playing with these cars forever, and have a lot of knowledge and experience with them that we can share (I've owned Corvettes for 40 years now, I bought my first one at 22).

Originally Posted by Vettedreamer74
Thank you MelWff! I will definitely be asking questions. Just need to figure out what to start working on first.
That's pretty easy, the first thing you want to do is get the car mechanically sound. I know it's tempting to want to have a shiny Corvette, but it's more important to make sure that the car is safe to drive, that it starts, stops and steers as it should.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Welcome to the Forum!

It's nice to hear that there is someone from the "younger generation", that has an interest in older Corvettes. Now a days, a lot of us in the hobby are gray haired, or bald! Of course, that means some of us have been playing with these cars forever, and have a lot of knowledge and experience with them that we can share (I've owned Corvettes for 40 years now, I bought my first one at 22).

That's pretty easy, the first thing you want to do is get the car mechanically sound. I know it's tempting to want to have a shiny Corvette, but it's more important to make sure that the car is safe to drive, that it starts, stops and steers as it should.
I have loved Corvettes ever since I could remember! It does help that my Dad liked Corvettes but has never bought one.

You're right, it's tempting to get the visual parts perfect first, but I'll be doing as you say. Thank you.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Welcome to the Forum!

That's awesome you were able to buy one at 22! Not many people can say that, I bet.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi V74,
Welcome!
I hope your dream car gives you lots of pleasure…. both driving it and working on it.
There's lots of Corvette activity in Wisconsin so I'd think you could even get some 'in the flesh' help if you come upon some things that can't be answered here!
How about a few photos???? Everyone likes to see photos of cars we haven't seen before.
Glad you're here and glad you bought an old Corvette!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-04-2017, 03:22 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi V74,
Welcome!
I hope your dream car gives you lots of pleasure…. both driving it and working on it.
There's lots of Corvette activity in Wisconsin so I'd think you could even get some 'in the flesh' help if you come upon some things that can't be answered here!
How about a few photos???? Everyone likes to see photos of cars we haven't seen before.
Glad you're here and glad you bought an old Corvette!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Car needs a lot of things. Interior needs to be gutted, lots of work in the engine compartment...Bubba put in a new crate engine and cut a lot of vacuum hoses and other things out. Car just wasn't taken care of very well, but frame and birdcage are good, body is in ok shape.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Most of the pictures of the interior and such I have on a friends phone. It's nothing fun to look at anyways as of right now, unless you like looking at a blank canvas.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:04 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Looks good, have fun repairing it.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddawson
Looks good, have fun repairing it.
Thanks! It's a 15 footer. The paint is bubbled on the hood and there are lots of scratches but it looks good from a distance.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi V74,
IF the frame and birdcage are solid as you think I believe it appears to be a nice car for for you to put your effort and some $$ into.
Interiors can eat up money pretty quickly so think about saving and restoring whatever you can.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-04-2017, 04:44 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Just need to figure out what to start working on first.
My father-in-law always said "No matter how fast it goes or how good (or bad) it looks, always make sure it can stop and stop properly first!"

I have learned everything mechanical from him and since that advice, on all of my vehicles, new and old, I have always concentrated on the brakes first.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi V74,
IF the frame and birdcage are solid as you think I believe it appears to be a nice car for for you to put your effort and some $$ into.
Interiors can eat up money pretty quickly so think about saving and restoring whatever you can.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
I've priced out interior parts and you're right, they eat up money very very fast! The original paint and color were silver/silver. Obviously the exterior is red now, but interior is silver, and not much on the interior isn't cracked or damaged. So I think I'm going to replace it and change the interior color as well. I really don't like the silver interior color. Is it easy to repair some of the interior pieces if there are cracks?
Old 02-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Originally Posted by GRipp 73
My father-in-law always said "No matter how fast it goes or how good (or bad) it looks, always make sure it can stop and stop properly first!"

I have learned everything mechanical from him and since that advice, on all of my vehicles, new and old, I have always concentrated on the brakes first.
You're right. First thing we did was look at the fluids, and checked the brakes. There is a leak in the brake distributor so that needs to be replaced, but everything else in the brake department is solid.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out..major part of Corvette ownership.
Looks good for that price.
Welcome and Congrats!
Vettedreamer74 (02-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To New to owning and the forum

Old 02-05-2017, 08:41 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Congrats! The picture looks like you've got a good starting point. The good thing about the interior is you can buy it piece by piece, as you save up money. I too would be thinking about changing the interior color. I'm not a big fan of a silver interior with red paint. Be sure to look into dying the parts of the interior that are still in good shape. It would save you a lot of money over buying replacement parts.
Vettedreamer74 (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I've priced out interior parts and you're right, they eat up money very very fast! The original paint and color were silver/silver. Obviously the exterior is red now, but interior is silver, and not much on the interior isn't cracked or damaged. So I think I'm going to replace it and change the interior color as well. I really don't like the silver interior color.
Sacrilege! Silver with silver interior is super nice!

Okay, so I know not everyone likes silver, but I sure do.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Vd,
" Is it easy to repair some of the interior pieces if there are cracks?"
This is a tough question to answer.
There are several different ways that interior parts are made so repairing/restoring them varies and the degree of success varies too.
There are for instance:
Vinyl covered foam… dash pads/door trim panels
Grained plastic…. kick panels, parking brake console storage compartment frame and door trim.
Vinyl covered plastic… quarter trim, roof panel trim, rear window trim.
So each piece needs to be addressed individually.
The new pieces shown in catalogues look nice in the photo but often the quality isn't very good and fitting the parts well can be difficult.
You'll need to do your homework for good results.
Regards,
Alan

Quick Reply: New to owning and the forum