Sponsored by:

1979 Corvette Caballista Custom by Dunham Coach

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:43 PM
rusty76
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 1979 Corvette Caballista Custom by Dunham Coach

I was looking for cars on Craigslist when I found this. I've never seen one before. Personally I never want to see another. For either your viewing pleasure of pain.

In case you want to see more. https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5987438733.html
Attached Images   
Old 02-23-2017, 03:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Dup post to trash the same car...yawn
Old 02-23-2017, 03:57 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Why? That's horrible unless you're a 1970's pimp.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Dup post to trash the same car...yawn
The other car was white so I think its 2 different cars.

But yeah, its 2 threads too many.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 PM
rusty76
Racer

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
The other car was white so I think its 2 different cars.

But yeah, its 2 threads too many.
Well sorry guys, I missed the first thread.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:32 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Its all good, there were a lot of neo classic kits done to the c3s most were forgotten, left to ruin, never very popular as most look a bit off, i do like a couple of them,
For some reason they have been the focus of a lot of "trash it" posts which i guess if being negative is your thing cool, i just come here to get away from the downers of the world trying for a little happy corvette hobby time...
Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 PM
rusty76
Racer

Its all good, there were a lot of neo classic kits done to the c3s most were forgotten, left to ruin, never very popular as most look a bit off, i do like a couple of them,
For some reason they have been the focus of a lot of "trash it" posts which i guess if being negative is your thing cool, i just come here to get away from the downers of the world trying for a little happy corvette hobby time...
Actually I posted this thread specifically to see what kind of response I'd get.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:08 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by rusty76
Actually I posted this thread specifically to see what kind of response I'd get.
When you added you hope to never see another that pretty much sets the mood for desired responses , i have nothing against negative posts, if that is what a guy is into, it would just be nice for cats to post something positive to off set it...
Here is how my 69 sits,

Can you think of any positive comments because i certainly can not...;-(

Ps, dont take me all too serious

Last edited by The13Bats; 02-23-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Well sorry guys, I missed the first thread.
Oh don't be sorry consider yourself fortunate to have not endured two of these monstrosities.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:08 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

this guy lives one town over from me ,, hes a car guy and has had lots of custom stuff over the years ,, he has a pink caddy with a juke box in the back seat ,, hes at LEAD EAST every year .. as far as his cars ,, too each their own
Old 02-23-2017, 11:30 PM
rusty76
Racer

When you added you hope to never see another that pretty much sets the mood for desired responses , i have nothing against negative posts, if that is what a guy is into, it would just be nice for cats to post something positive to off set it...
Here is how my 69 sits,

Can you think of any positive comments because i certainly can not...;-(

Ps, dont take me all too serious
If I offended anyone who enjoys the Dunham cars I apologize.

Like I said I wrote the post as I did to see what kind of responses it would get. Understanding that I posted it in the C3 section, 171 folks viewed it, 9 people responded. The responses ranged from 'yawn' to 'if being negative is your thing cool'. I was wondering if anyone would comment about altering a perfectly good corvette, nobody did. I was just trying to get a feel for this forum. Nearly 425,000 members, it's huge! Covering corvettes from C1s from the 1950s to C7s from 2017.

That's your '69? If you offered me a new C7 or yours I'd take yours. Or maybe I'd take the C7, sell it and buy several cars like yours so I could give them love. If you offered me yours or a completely restored '69 I'd still take yours because I want a car I can work on and/then drive not just one to drive. I like your car.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 PM
rusty76
Racer

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Oh don't be sorry consider yourself fortunate to have not endured two of these monstrosities.
It actually looks like a good job was done on the build. If you're into the pimpmobiles of that era then that would be a good addition to your collection.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:44 PM
rusty76
Racer

Originally Posted by forman
this guy lives one town over from me ,, hes a car guy and has had lots of custom stuff over the years ,, he has a pink caddy with a juke box in the back seat ,, hes at LEAD EAST every year .. as far as his cars ,, too each their own
You're in Randolph? I'm very close to you. I've got to figure out how to get my location to show up in my posts.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Rusty, thanks for being a cool cat,
Thanks also for the kind words on my poor 69, not all that mess is my doing but it is my fault its not getting fixed faster, but you actually gave me motivation which i do need, thanks,

I come here for fun i little excape from the pisser world, when it seems every other thread is to bash and trash well that gets old and negative really quickly,

I love customs, modded is my thing, stock to me is boring, but i respect fellows who dig stock, i have a huge respect for cats who can restore a car to factory specs its just not what i am into, sure i can see this threads car as ruining a c3 to some, but there are plenty more c3s.

And i sure do not like every modded corvette out there, they have to flow for me they cant be hack jobs and not tacky, which is subjective, but good workmanship is always good, even if the end reult is tacky to all except the dreamer who wanted it,
That doesnt mean no expense spared look at me builds are my thing either, humility, modesty is nice, build what what you can with what you have and only care about pleasing ones self,

I agree, if i had to keep it i would take my poor 69 over a new c7, but i would take any c3 over a c7 if i had to keep it,

I just desire some positive, can you post me a c3 you really like, a modded one, and tell why you dig it, now that is fun.

Thanks for the camaraderie
Cheers,
B
Old 02-24-2017, 01:09 AM
rusty76
Racer

Rusty, thanks for being a cool cat,
Thanks also for the kind words on my poor 69, not all that mess is my doing but it is my fault its not getting fixed faster, but you actually gave me motivation which i do need, thanks,

I come here for fun i little excape from the pisser world, when it seems every other thread is to bash and trash well that gets old and negative really quickly,

I love customs, modded is my thing, stock to me is boring, but i respect fellows who dig stock, i have a huge respect for cats who can restore a car to factory specs its just not what i am into, sure i can see this threads car as ruining a c3 to some, but there are plenty more c3s.

And i sure do not like every modded corvette out there, they have to flow for me they cant be hack jobs and not tacky, which is subjective, but good workmanship is always good, even if the end reult is tacky to all except the dreamer who wanted it,
That doesnt mean no expense spared look at me builds are my thing either, humility, modesty is nice, build what what you can with what you have and only care about pleasing ones self,

I agree, if i had to keep it i would take my poor 69 over a new c7, but i would take any c3 over a c7 if i had to keep it,

I just desire some positive, can you post me a c3 you really like, a modded one, and tell why you dig it, now that is fun.

Thanks for the camaraderie
Cheers,
B
I'm not a custom guy, I lack the desire and expertise, but I recognize customizations are a different way of self expression (yes the Dunham as well) just as NCRS restorations. I found these here on this site. I see you're familiar with them because you posted in the thread. I like them because they're clean, uncluttered and accentuate the natural lines of the vette without becoming grotesque.

Where does your car stand and what do you have planned for it?
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Richard Daugird (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:28 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Where does your car stand and what do you have planned for it?

The two cars you posted thunder and finwolfs are two of my all time favorites and i have seen remarks about those two cars not unlike what is being said about this thread car,
I guess grotesque is also subjective.

My car looks about like it does in the sad picture, i wanted to do a mako front clip on it, but as the 30 plus years passed from first seeing a mako owning a lot of vettes all customs, and then getting my 69 a lot of my tastes changed, the mako in the body kit i have is too exaggerated, cartoonish to me, needs a full reworking not to look silly to my OCD eyes, i am actually going a bit tame by today's restro mod standards, i want a poser racer, poser as it never did, likeky never will see track time, stock front and rear with screwed on not glassed in l88 flares, l88 hood, front spoiler, recessed headlights, 15" wheels because i dont like tall pimp wheels on these classics mild 454, trimmed out like a 70s race engine, show bar, a must in a convertible, of this them i am doing the front clip tilt and retaining functinal hood, i am not putting a 10k paint job on it, no show queen looker but rather, patina and the look of a car that sneaked off a track, perhaps a survivor well built, not hacked but not what many will like, pretty much its all there have the parts now to just make it happen....

Last edited by The13Bats; 02-24-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

That's your '69? If you offered me a new C7 or yours I'd take yours..... I want a car I can work on and/then drive not just one to drive. I like your car.

I grew up in the 60s &70s....saw a lot of wild ideas applied to Corvettes. Very similar to the stoned hippies who threw paint at a canvas on an easel and proclaimed it as "art".
Being a novice builder of cars, I can appreciate the time, thought, and work that went into a creation such as this "pimp wagon".... but it would NEVER find a home in my garage!

i am actually going a bit tame by today's restro mod standards, i want a poser racer.......pretty much its all there have the parts now to just make it happen....
Bats.... if you need inspiration, simply review the pictures of your car in a zillion pieces, or when you first started the build. THEN, go out and look at it REAL close. You`ll realize just how far you`ve come already!
Look back through some other build threads and see how far they`ve come....it will remind you of how much time it takes to do something like you`re doing!
"Rome wasn`t built in a day"

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Corvette Caballista Custom by Dunham Coach

Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 AM
rusty76
Racer

The two cars you posted thunder and finwolfs are two of my all time favorites and i have seen remarks about those two cars not unlike what is being said about this thread car,
I guess grotesque is also subjective.

My car looks about like it does in the sad picture, i wanted to do a mako front clip on it, but as the 30 plus years passed from first seeing a mako owning a lot of vettes all customs, and then getting my 69 a lot of my tastes changed, the mako in the body kit i have is too exaggerated, cartoonish to me, needs a full reworking not to look silly to my OCD eyes, i am actually going a bit tame by today's restro mod standards, i want a poser racer, poser as it never did, likeky never will see track time, stock front and rear with screwed on not glassed in l88 flares, l88 hood, front spoiler, recessed headlights, 15" wheels because i dont like tall pimp wheels on these classics mild 454, trimmed out like a 70s race engine, show bar, a must in a convertible, of this them i am doing the front clip tilt and retaining functinal hood, i am not putting a 10k paint job on it, no show queen looker but rather, patina and the look of a car that sneaked off a track, perhaps a survivor well built, not hacked but not what many will like, pretty much its all there have the parts now to just make it happen....
Obviously I don't know your situation but as is said, the longest journey starts with the first step. Are you planning to do the mechanicals or the body work first?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM
rusty76
Racer

Originally Posted by oldgto

I grew up in the 60s &70s....saw a lot of wild ideas applied to Corvettes. Very similar to the stoned hippies who threw paint at a canvas on an easel and proclaimed it as "art".
Being a novice builder of cars, I can appreciate the time, thought, and work that went into a creation such as this "pimp wagon".... but it would NEVER find a home in my garage!
Yes on the effort to do a custom. There's not much I wouldn't attempt mechanically on a 'stock' car but custom body work is beyond me. Something like that Dunham, whether you like it or not, demonstrates skills.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:04 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

There's not much I wouldn't attempt mechanically on a 'stock' car but custom body work is beyond me.
You just need to try it... it`s not that hard. Wife & I`ve been playing with fiberglass for years......

Start with something small. You can use foam, wood, even cardboard as a basic shape, then just go to it with the cloth & resin!

Quick Reply: 1979 Corvette Caballista Custom by Dunham Coach