Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible TOP and WEATHERSTRIPPING?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM
3PedalGuy
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible TOP and WEATHERSTRIPPING?

Need to replace the black convertible top on my '68, and would like to replace all the related weatherstripping at same time. QUESTION -- Who makes the best quality top out there? Same question about weatherstrips. Thanks-
Old 02-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 3,
Many people like the convertible tops the Al Knock Co. makes and the weatherstrip that Corvette Rubber Company (CRC) makes.
Many vendors sell these brands.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Any company using Haartz cloth material and CRC rubber. I am not familiar with individual companies in the USA. The top in the pic is perhaps 10+ years old. And yes the temp at that time was 26*F.

Last edited by Paul L; 02-26-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

TopsOnline.com sold me the most recent top, and it's a bitch to install any of them, the worst is the silly black weatherstrip on the back bow, I can NOT get that damn thing in the slot no matter what.....

years ago I had a guy come to my place and install a top I got from another outfit, and I had the old top from when I bought the car already cut off.....so it had to be installed, the man took one look and said the new top was too big and it's not going to fit.....damn if he not correct.....

on any new top the first thing to check is the height of the top from the bottom seam on the back deck at the corner and up the height of the side window to the cut/turn forward....it has to be an HONEST 11" if not that at least, and certainly not anything like 10.5 inches so the canvas overhangs the side window, and also the rear/vertical seam came forward too much......

two types of windows....stitched and molded your choice....

I have heard bad stories about Al Knoch tops recently....
Old 02-26-2017, 08:27 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Some like AK tops and some don't. I have never heard anyone bash the Robbins top. Mine is 25 yo, is just now showing signs of needing replaced.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:39 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
Some like AK tops and some don't. I have never heard anyone bash the Robbins top. Mine is 25 yo, is just now showing signs of needing replaced.
Yes, Robbins is who made this last top, and I just wish I could have done a better job installing it....it's just OK, not purrfect.....but I not shelling out 400 bux for what was done on the lousy top in my driveway for 150 bux....can't win....damnit....

I make no comment on weatherstripping, except to say it was a total BITCH to get the damn driver door to seal correctly, I finally took the time and MAX effort to beat it into submission, I WIN.....

DAMNIT!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible TOP and WEATHERSTRIPPING?

Quick Reply: Convertible TOP and WEATHERSTRIPPING?