Sponsored by:

Would 1969 owners please do me a favor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Would 1969 owners please do me a favor?

The driver seat in my 1969 is kind of jacked up and I think some parts are missing, like the adjuster on the seat bottom. Does anyone know where I can find an exploded view of the seats or would anyone be willing to share some photos of their correct seats? My driver seat leans too far back, and the engagement of the latch that locks the seat back does not seem to be properly aligned. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bart,
Here's a photo of a typical track with the adjustor and a detail of the adjuster mechanism.
Might this help?
Regards,
Alan

hack.us/v2/640x480q90/922/98DnJu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-28-2017 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bart K (03-01-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bart,
Here's a photo of a typical track with the adjustor and a detail of the adjuster mechanism.
Might this help?
Regards,
Alan

The track is all good, it is where the seat back and seat bottom meet. I know there is a bumper on the seat back as well as the seat bottom, but is there also some kind of adjuster mounted on the seat bottom as well? Something to keep the seat back from leaning too far back?
Old 02-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Bart K
...Something to keep the seat back from leaning too far back?...
Seat back bumpers opposite each seat back latch. Do you have the AIM?

Bart K (03-01-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Thanks! This is what mine look like, so I am guessing I am not missing anything, but maybe I have something bent all to hell. When you lift the seat back to the up position as if you were going to sit in it, does the latch work smoothly? On mine, you kind of have to raise the back "firmly" to get that latch to engage.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:47 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default dear black Bart

Thanks! This is what mine look like, so I am guessing I am not missing anything, but maybe I have something bent all to hell. When you lift the seat back to the up position as if you were going to sit in it, does the latch work smoothly? On mine, you kind of have to raise the back "firmly" to get that latch to engage.
I have my seats out of the Car...If you can con someone to post my picks for me...I'll help. Drivers side?
Bart K (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If you're lifting the seat, it sounds like the pivot hinge bushings maybe worn out or missing. Look at the large phillips head bolt holding the upper and lower seat together and see if theres a plastic bushing visible around/ behind it
Bart K (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by L-46man
I have my seats out of the Car...If you can con someone to post my picks for me...I'll help. Drivers side?
Sent you a PM on this, thanks!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
If you're lifting the seat, it sounds like the pivot hinge bushings maybe worn out or missing. Look at the large phillips head bolt holding the upper and lower seat together and see if theres a plastic bushing visible around/ behind it
I will take a look at the bushings. I got a replacement seat back from Corvette Central that I has on order yesterday and I installed it. I also painted the seat tracks, so I will put the seat back in over the next day or two and then maybe I can take some pics of what I am talking about. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Bart K; 03-01-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

What is AIM, is that the Assembly manual? If that is what you are talking about, no I do not have one, and YES, I need to get one!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had another 69 back a dozen or so years ago. The previous owner was absolutely enormous. He could not fit through the front door of his house without ducking and squirming. I never said anything to him, because he was the chief of narcotics and vice in his PD. One really big dude.

anyway he owned the car since new, and flattened the seat cushion like a pancake, and bent the hinges . The little bumpers were mushed into the seat bottom.

So, I had the exact same experience as you did. I replaced the seat bottom, hinges, and bumpers. It was still a little backward leaning, but I got used to it.
Bart K (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Default Picture

What is AIM, is that the Assembly manual? If that is what you are talking about, no I do not have one, and YES, I need to get one!!!
That picture is missing the adjusters which would be on the right side of each seat back

Last edited by MelWff; 03-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Bart K (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by steersdad
I had another 69 back a dozen or so years ago. The previous owner was absolutely enormous. He could not fit through the front door of his house without ducking and squirming. I never said anything to him, because he was the chief of narcotics and vice in his PD. One really big dude.

anyway he owned the car since new, and flattened the seat cushion like a pancake, and bent the hinges . The little bumpers were mushed into the seat bottom.

So, I had the exact same experience as you did. I replaced the seat bottom, hinges, and bumpers. It was still a little backward leaning, but I got used to it.
Thanks for the reply! When you say seat bottom hinges, are you speaking of the chrome pieces that connect the seat bottom to the seat back? I would like to fix things correctly, but I still plan to build something to put behind the seat to keep it from leaning too far back. I am likely the only person who will be driving the car. In the distant past I had a 76 and a 72 and I think I have to do something similar back then. The seats seems to be a weak spot.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MelWff
That picture is missing the adjusters which would be on the right side of each seat back
That makes sense, but I did not see any adjuster when I pulled the seat. All there was was a thick bumper on the seat bottom and a half as thick bumper on the seat back. I have replaced both already, but have not installed the seat yet as I was waiting for paint to dry. Is it possible the adjusters are for a different year of car? Do you have any pics of what the adjuster looks like in place? On page 140 of the current Corvette Central catalog, from what I see, it is different for 69, then I see what looks like an adjuster for 70 - 76 cars. I wish I was rich so I could afford to just send the seats off for professional restoration!!!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Bart K; 03-01-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:57 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

I'm not sure what year seat that is based on the pictures, those blue seats in the prior post are for a 69. On a 69 the bumper that is installed on the seat bottom. right side, is on a long bolt about 3 inches or more. The bolt is adjusted to change the seat back angle and uses a lock nut. The link below is what they look like but the 69 uses only two.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...er-upper-70-78
Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MelWff
I'm not sure what year seat that is based on the pictures, those blue seats in the prior post are for a 69. On a 69 the bumper that is installed on the seat bottom. right side, is on a long bolt about 3 inches or more. The bolt is adjusted to change the seat back angle and uses a lock nut. The link below is what they look like but the 69 uses only two.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...er-upper-70-78

Not to disagree with you, but I was watching this Corvette America video http://www.corvetteamerica.com/video/68_69scInstall/ about installing 68/69 seat covers and they did not remove anything that looked like an adjuster from the seat. I am thinking that the adjusters did not start till 70. That does not mean they might not work though. I have attached another pic of my seat laying on it's back and you can see where the bottom joins the back, something is out of kilter. After looking closely, I think one of the chrome pieces (or both) that connects the bottom and the back are bent. The passenger seat is in good shape, does anyone know if you can swap the passenger and driver seat? It kind of looks like you can.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2017, 04:36 PM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

The passenger and drivers seat are interchangeable.
Bart K (03-01-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Would 1969 owners please do me a favor?

Old 03-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69monzacpe
The passenger and drivers seat are interchangeable.
That is what it looked like to me! Thanks for the confirmation. I will swap seats for now and deal with the passenger seat at my leisure. What an excellent design!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bart,
Originally the black bumpers on the seat backs could be adjusted for height by turning their threaded shaft.
In addition all 68 and 69 cars came with a bag of thick large round washers and flat plates that were to be placed under the bumper and latch on the seat bottom to additionally change the angle of the seat back.
Because of the position of the washers/plates relative to the pivot point of the seat hinge even a couple of washers/plates had quite an effect on the angle.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-01-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Bart K (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bart,
Originally the black bumpers on the seat backs could be adjusted for height by turning their threaded shaft.
In addition all 68 and 69 cars came with a bag of thick large round washers and flat plates that were to be placed under the bumper and latch on the seat bottom to additionally change the angle of the seat back.
Because of the position of the washers/plates relative to the pivot point of the seat hinge even a couple of washers/plates had quite an effect on the angle.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks for the info, I will look in to that! I am also looking at creating something to put behind the seat to keep the position that works for me since I am the only driver.

Quick Reply: Would 1969 owners please do me a favor?