Sponsored by:

Anyone know this ebay 69 roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:40 PM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Anyone know this ebay 69 roadster?

I made an offer on it 12 months ago when Aventura was selling it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172556971899...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can no longer drive a stick, so this car checks a lot of boxes for me. I sent a message via ebay, but have not heard back.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by 64luke
I made an offer on it 12 months ago when Aventura was selling it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172556971899...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can no longer drive a stick, so this car checks a lot of boxes for me. I sent a message via ebay, but have not heard back.
I would suggest posting your question on the C-3 Forum.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:24 PM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ricks327
I would suggest posting your question on the C-3 Forum.
Oops. Thank you. If there's a moderator about, can you delete or move this?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: have you tried contacting the previous owner?

Old 03-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 64,
It would be interesting to see the judging sheets from 2014….and I think that would be a reasonable request on a car like this.
Might Drew remember it?
What work was done by Crane?
Has/is the car being driven now?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Damn that's nice looking and my new favorite color LOL
Old 03-08-2017, 02:15 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Check out the stamp pad. Its not in the auction any more but I remember it looked odd and that the numbers were off, meaning the vin didnt look like it matched. It was close but like off a few numbers.
For some reason its not in my database but I'm sure I saved it.
I may have misfiled it.
I'm going to look through all the files right now.

Ok, I found it.
What looked strange, and its a bad pic, is that the vin derivative LOOKS like 19S1 instead of the correct 19S7.
It may be Ok, but its hard to see. I would ask for a better pic.
But here is what is out there.

Last edited by ed427vette; 03-08-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 AM
1stvette72
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ed427vette
Check out the stamp pad. Its not in the auction any more but I remember it looked odd and that the numbers were off, meaning the vin didnt look like it matched. It was close but like off a few numbers.
For some reason its not in my database but I'm sure I saved it.
I may have misfiled it.
I'm going to look through all the files right now.

Ok, I found it.
What looked strange, and its a bad pic, is that the vin derivative LOOKS like 19S1 instead of the correct 19S7.
It may be Ok, but its hard to see. I would ask for a better pic.
But here is what is out there.

C
I have first hand knowledge of this Corvette. Ask all the questions you want. The seller is using photos I took and I know what the NCRS judging sheets largely said
Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1stvette72
C
I have first hand knowledge of this Corvette. Ask all the questions you want. The seller is using photos I took and I know what the NCRS judging sheets largely said
Welcome to the forum and thank you for being willing to answer some questions.
My first question. Can you show a good clear picture of the stamp pad? The picture I included is not very clear but it looks like the vin derivative starts 19S1 which would be incorrect. But like I said, its a bad pic.
Thank you,
Ed
Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 AM
1stvette72
6th Gear

I will look and see if I have the picture of the stamp pad. If I do I will post it later. However, I will tell you that the NCRS judging, which I was present at, judged the motor to be a restamp. They deemed the 666 to be from the same stamp which, in their opinion, would not have happened in a factory environment.Furthermore, the owner of the vehicle had the motor built at Crane Corvettes who called me a couple of times to verify the VIN of the car.
The following users liked this post:
64luke (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:18 PM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1stvette72
I will look and see if I have the picture of the stamp pad. If I do I will post it later. However, I will tell you that the NCRS judging, which I was present at, judged the motor to be a restamp. They deemed the 666 to be from the same stamp which, in their opinion, would not have happened in a factory environment.Furthermore, the owner of the vehicle had the motor built at Crane Corvettes who called me a couple of times to verify the VIN of the car.
Crane's website says they re-stamp engine blocks.

I'm actually not too concerned about that. I want a completely sorted out, un-bubba'd, really nice car to drive. Most people want a four-speed, I cannot drive one anymore. My estate will sort out the details of what it's worth when I'm done with it. The cost basis to my heirs will be zero.

How did you feel about the rest of the car? I talked to the current owner who sounds like he knows what he's talking about regarding cars. I'm going to see it week after next, when I get back from spring break with my kids. He's asking so much money that I don't think it will sell between now and then.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:55 PM
1stvette72
6th Gear

My company restored the car so I know it as well as one can possibly know this car.
It definitely is not a hack job. It was done to the NCRS judging manual. Obviously some liveries were taken with the equipment by adding options but was all done using as much OEM parts as possible. The car was pretty well sorted out when it left the shop in 2013. I cannot say anything about what may or may not have happened since then. As you can see by my pictures the seller is using of the car in various stages we did a correct off the frame restoration. The car would have top flighted if not for the engine stamp as the judging was literally less than 1 percent off from hitting the 94% needed to achieve Top Flight.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:09 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

64luke, more power to you that you don't care about originality. Good for you. Whichever dealer has the car will be very thankful you don't care about originality or overpaying for a car. Your the buyer everybody dreams of. I am reasonably sure nobody will be paying the almost $100K the dealer is likely looking to get for the car since that was the price from the S. Hampton dealers so you somt have to worry about that. That's also why its still for sale and has been for so long. For that kind of money you should have been able to find a great car
Automatics are generally less than 4sps. Also the car was not originally equipped with AC according to the tank sticker, however it looks like they did a very nice job making it look correct. It seems to be a very nicely done car. The only thing I am surprised about is that they left the area in front of the cowl area body color when it should be black. They seemed to have gotten everything else correct.
Good luck,
Ed
Old 03-10-2017, 02:42 PM
1stvette72
6th Gear

We had painted that area black originally but he customer wanted it body color
Old 03-10-2017, 03:05 PM
1stvette72
6th Gear

If you want to call me to discuss the car more in detail PM me and I'll give you a number
The following users liked this post:
64luke (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 03:19 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Ed,
You give me a less than subtle impression that you feel this threads car is overpriced,
I get curious sometimes about stuff like this,
Off the cuff, top of your head how much could you find comparable cars priced at, or perhaps im asking what would you consider the fair reasonable price on this one?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:21 AM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Ed,
You give me a less than subtle impression that you feel this threads car is overpriced,
Off the cuff, top of your head how much could you find comparable cars priced at, or perhaps im asking what would you consider the fair reasonable price on this one?
According to Haggerty, between $67 for a #2 condition and $100k for #1. Even if it's 100% as described, it's a 2+ car, not "numbers matching" and it has an automatic transmission (-10%).

So, I'd say the "value" is roughly $70k, but I need the automatic and don't really want another red car. I dont want a project. I like the color. There weren't many L68s made. The owner is asking much more than $70.

Since I bought my 60, i've been looking for a car like this. I've seen other nice L68s for sale over the past couple of years, but almost all were 4 speed manuals. I can always swap out transmissions on another car, but not only is that expensive, if you're not careful, you can destroy any collectible value. You also need to swap out the rear.

I love driving my 60 (it's awesome), but the steering is tough for everyday use (I can only turn the wheel with one arm) and I feel like I'm abusing it over 70mph (powerglide). I can drive a power steering car with my weak arm. I dont want to modify the 60 and I can afford another toy. Plus, this (BB Stingray) was the car I lusted after as a kid.

I'm willing to pay a little extra for convenience and availability. I doubt I'll be able to drive in 10 years unless it's a wheelchair van. I respect guys who play it more like a financial game, though.

Last edited by 64luke; 03-11-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know this ebay 69 roadster?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:57 AM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ed427vette
64luke, more power to you that you don't care about originality. Good for you. Whichever dealer has the car will be very thankful you don't care about originality or overpaying for a car. Your the buyer everybody dreams of. I am reasonably sure nobody will be paying the almost $100K the dealer is likely looking to get for the car since that was the price from the S. Hampton dealers so you somt have to worry about that. That's also why its still for sale and has been for so long. For that kind of money you should have been able to find a great car
Automatics are generally less than 4sps. Also the car was not originally equipped with AC according to the tank sticker, however it looks like they did a very nice job making it look correct. It seems to be a very nicely done car. The only thing I am surprised about is that they left the area in front of the cowl area body color when it should be black. They seemed to have gotten everything else correct.
Good luck,
Ed
I understand what you're saying. And you're right, if I end up buying this car, the current owner will be very happy. I should be able to find a great car, but I haven't seen many. My 60 is a great car. Paid top dollar for that. Worth every penny.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:53 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Ed,
Its way overpriced. I'm not sure what the cars asking price is right now at this very moment, but when it was in the Hamptons the dealer wanted $99500.

The car is very nice, no doubt.

I have seen several 400 HP roadsters this past year with the most expensive being the blue one by Proteam which was at an asking price of 70k. It was a true low mileage Survivor and in excellent condition.

Jebby had sold his maybe 18 months ago and the buyer restored it and sold it for under 70k and that was a real AC 400 roadster. That's pretty rare.

Those were original cars with what looked like in my opinion original stamp pad cars and with documentation. The Proteam car was certified by CCAS and to me that is as good as it gets.

This gold car is very well restored. But I was concerned with the stamp pad and then hearing what 1stvette confirmed about it that pretty much, for me, drops the value considerably. Also there are added medications such as AC. Also the automatic generally hurts the value.

But this is where circumstances/luck play the ultimate part in value. To me the car is worth no more than 40k. But Luke wants this car. So the automatic works in this cars favor as he needs an auto. Luke is not concerned with the original motor. In a way I envy him for feeling this way. Guys like me would not be able to get past that so I'm more limited to what I can enjoy because of what makes it interesting for me. And that is it being original. I'm also not saying I don't like customs, I do. But if I look at this car, I expect it to be original as that's what it's portraying. In fact, I want to build a road race replica for the street at some point based on L88 wide fender type 69/70/71 era with a DX colored paint scheme.

This is precisely why people say, a car is worth what someone will pay.

The only thing that bothers me is they are pricing it as a original car and in my opinion trying to fool someone. It just so happens Luke doesn't care. And that's fine. He's buying a car he likes. Period. But dealers like these just **** me off. I know what they are doing. RK is one of the worst. I don't think I've seen a 69 they sell/sold that didnt have a fake trim tag on it. They have the blue tribute Motion one on eBay now with a fake tag. Valley Auto has the black with blue 390 HP car with a fake trim tag. These are big dollar cars for 69 and not what they are being advertised as. Shameful.

Last edited by ed427vette; 03-11-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:56 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 64luke
I understand what you're saying. And you're right, if I end up buying this car, the current owner will be very happy. I should be able to find a great car, but I haven't seen many. My 60 is a great car. Paid top dollar for that. Worth every penny.
Understood.
If you get it, I hope you drive it often and enjoy every minute of it. After all, that's what they were made for right?
Let us know.
Ed

Quick Reply: Anyone know this ebay 69 roadster?