Sponsored by:

Deck Lid Vents 68'

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c1n,
Typically only the last louver had a surface painted 'semi-gloss black'.
Whether the portion of the cowl visible in the next louver got painted black I'm not sure, but based on what I read... no.
I would tape the openings closed from behind while the car is being painted and do the black later.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-20-2017 at 05:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
c1nicole (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:08 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by v2racing
I'm not saying from any facts I've read anywhere, but it seems to me from what I've seen, the convertibles with air conditioning did not have the plenums. What years involved I do not know.
from previous post:
"I have 2, 69 convertibles they both have the drain plenum enclosed with drain tubes.
1 on them is factory A/C car, the other is Not, both with Enclosed rear drain plenum."
Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Lots of great pictures in this thread, now I know how the rear compartment light attaches, mine is laying on the floor and missing the bracket. I love this site and all the helpful peeps, but I swear half the time the answer I find requires spending mo money
The following users liked this post:
c1nicole (05-22-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 PM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Missing drain tubes are a bad thing if you get caught in the rain. Don't ask me or my previous carpet how we know

Interesting thread.

Last edited by cicconjo; 03-20-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm not saying from any facts I've read anywhere, but it seems to me from what I've seen, the convertibles with air conditioning did not have the plenums. What years involved I do not know.
Originally Posted by 69Vett
from previous post:
"I have 2, 69 convertibles they both have the drain plenum enclosed with drain tubes.
1 on them is factory A/C car, the other is Not, both with Enclosed rear drain plenum."
On the 68-70 convertibles, with or without a/c, all had the plenum as the vents were located over the storage area. On 71 and later convertibles the plenum was behind the storage area due to the bulkhead being moved 4" forward. The convertibles with a/c, there were no plenum so you could see the ground.

All coupes had the plenum as their vents were mounted further forward and were over the storage compartment on all cars.

Tom...
Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
So, from looking at the 71 AIM and the 74 AIM it appears on convertibles, (467), the plenum was STILL being installed during that period… but observed cars do not bear that out.
When in production might someone expect to begin to see convertibles without the plenum? When the configuration of the "u/b closing panel" was changed?
Does, or how does, the a/c option enter into this?
Regards,
Alan
71-75 convertibles still had the plenum. It needed to be there for the ventilation system, to direct air out of the interior, and up through the vents. Also, without the plenum, water would end up all over under the car (including likely in the spare tire tub), instead of being directed to the ground through the plenum's 2 drain holes.

The under body (u/b) closing panel was moved starting in 71. The plenum wasn't removed, and it's physical position didn't change, but by moving the bulkhead (u/b closing panel) forward, it effectively moved the plenum from inside of the rear storage compartment, to behind the storage compartment. Moving the bulkhead eliminated the need for the drain hoses.
The following 2 users liked this post by gbvette62:
c1nicole (03-21-2017), Tooch1 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
71-75 convertibles still had the plenum. It needed to be there for the ventilation system, to direct air out of the interior, and up through the vents. Also, without the plenum, water would end up all over under the car (including likely in the spare tire tub), instead of being directed to the ground through the plenum's 2 drain holes.

The under body (u/b) closing panel was moved starting in 71. The plenum wasn't removed, and it's physical position didn't change, but by moving the bulkhead (u/b closing panel) forward, it effectively moved the plenum from inside of the rear storage compartment, to behind the storage compartment. Moving the bulkhead eliminated the need for the drain hoses.
My 75 Vert has block off plates on the outside back of the storage area that are stamped steel and look factory. The whole area looks to be untouched from the factory. It is an AC car and you can see the ground through the vents. I've seen other Verts that you could see the ground on also.

Mike
Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

My 75 Vert has block off plates on the outside back of the storage area that are stamped steel and look factory. The whole area looks to be untouched from the factory. It is an AC car and you can see the ground through the vents. I've seen other Verts that you could see the ground on also.

Mike
Ditto here...
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by suprspooky
I love this site and all the helpful peeps, but I swear half the time the answer I find requires spending mo money
Don`t feel alone!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
True for non-a/c convertibles. On a/c cars the vents were open to the ground.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:20 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by suprspooky
Lots of great pictures in this thread, now I know how the rear compartment light attaches, mine is laying on the floor and missing the bracket. I love this site and all the helpful peeps, but I swear half the time the answer I find requires spending mo money
Old 03-22-2017, 06:02 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Just a quick picture of my '71 Convertibles vents. I had my shop light on the floor to highlight the big hole in the bottom (don't have my spare tire carrier installed).
Once I take the hardtop off I'll get some more pictures of the inside. Every time I'm about to take the hardtop off the weather gets cold again.

Quick Reply: Deck Lid Vents 68'