Sponsored by:

1969 350/300 Head casting 3947041

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Default 1969 350/300 Head casting 3947041

My '66 has the head casting number shown in the title. Question I have is will the following exhaust manifolds fit properly? They bolted up fine and looked great but I've got some sort of exhaust leak and have not been able to pinpoint it.

Amazon Amazon

Other side:

Amazon Amazon

thanks in advance
Greg
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
My '66 has the head casting number shown in the title. Question I have is will the following exhaust manifolds fit properly? They bolted up fine and looked great but I've got some sort of exhaust leak and have not been able to pinpoint it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other side:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, exhaust manifolds interchange to the heads with no issue. Your issue might be the Dorman products, usually they are awful.

Make sure to inspect the casting for any cracks first. Inspect the mating surface so true with a strait edge. Also inspect the flange to make sure you got it aligned to the exhaust flare, a few degrees off will let it leak.

If the mating surface is not true then you can take to a machinist and have them true it up (a belt sander with 200 might work for a DIY).

If none then try a fresh new gasket and retorque after the first heat cycle.

Otherwise find a good used OEM manifold that is cast and machined much better.

I try to avoid Dorman products when possible. I'm convinced they just buy the Chinese QC rejects from other suppliers orders.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 03-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dynra Rockets:
MISTERZ06 (03-20-2017), Tigershark3 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
Yes, exhaust manifolds interchange to the heads with no issue. Your issue might be the Dorman products, usually they are awful.

Make sure to inspect the casting for any cracks first. Inspect the mating surface so true with a strait edge. Also inspect the flange to make sure you got it aligned to the exhaust flare, a few degrees off will let it leak.

If the mating surface is not true then you can take to a machinist and have them true it up (a belt sander with 200 might work for a DIY).

If none then try a fresh new gasket and retorque after the first heat cycle.

Otherwise find a good used OEM manifold that is cast and machined much better.

I try to avoid Dorman products when possible. I'm convinced they just buy the Chinese QC rejects from other suppliers orders.
Thanks... Going out to the garage in a few.. I'll check the flares first and if that looks good I'll pull one of the manifolds and check for leaks there.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 350/300 Head casting 3947041

Quick Reply: 1969 350/300 Head casting 3947041