Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What repair job do you hate doing the most

Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
The original trailing arm removal was the worst job but it's done. I still cant stand working on anything under the dash. Switches, wiring, fuses, brake booster anything under the dash. I've gotten where I just remove the seat on the side that I'm working on. I hate crawling under there.
I would have agreed with you until I followed the advice of someone here to pull the driver's seat.... it's actually pretty comfortable to work under the dash with the seat out

trailing arms.... I'm sure whoever did design that is now Satan's second in command in hell.
The following users liked this post:
mrichi (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Not a big fan of, surprise...anything related to the drivers dash and the rear spring.

While not really a repair, block sanding the body was not fun. It felt like my arm was about ready to fall off.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM
swag
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reversing the previous owners hacks

I think most of us have experienced this.

The previous owner making some hack or change that wasn't true to the original car.

Then, spending a lot of time figuring out what the heck they did.

Throw any manual you have in the trash for these.

I have several, but one that got me was after market exhaust manifolds that had metric heads but the bolts going into the engine were standard?!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:14 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think I'm with the majority on this one.
I hate getting my big stomach stuck between the drivers seat and the steering wheel while inverted.
If I don't have to look under the dash ever again that would be fine with me.
Plenty of other improvements with more wiggle room.
Marshal
Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Over-head work while lying on my back. It leaves me dizzy with a flippy stomach. Have to get vertical slowly. Sit up, wait a while, stand up bent over and then when the merry go round stops, stand up.
Told my doc about it and he said, "don't lie on your back and work over-head." Sorry, couldn't resist. The medicos are looking at ear canal issues with a vision component. Would give my 8x10 photo of Westbrook Van Voorhis for a quick fix.
(buying a lift when I win the Lotto)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:14 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,326 Posts

I haven't tackled any under-dash repairs yet, but I'll be certain to take the seat out when I do.

I hate having anything to do with brake fluid. Nasty stuff, and I suck a bleeding correctly. I'm glad I was able to remove the calipers to get access to the rotors and parking brake without disconnecting the rear brake line. If I go to stainless hoses, I may just have a shop do the whole job.

The PO had the trailing arm bushings and rear leaf spring replaced, and the rear differential rebuilt, so hopefully that will spare me some future pain.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

something I have never done, and would not do, I would sell the car first..
the dash and the brake booster both get to come apart on this one and are just the tip of the iceberg... is bird cage replacement.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I'm struggling with what I like about working on these cars.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 PM
speedracer2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just spent 2 1/2 days changing valve cover gaskets on a '82 crossfire! WTF!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Hands down, heater core.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:12 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I hate doing body work, especially on a fiberglass car! It's why my car is being held hostage in a body shop. Next worse for me is fixing someone else's f'ed up wiring work!

Mike
Old 03-30-2017, 04:46 AM
usmilret
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Trailing Arms, I never want to do them again. The automatic transmission wasn't so bad.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:19 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

I use to have hair on my head, that was before I pulled it all out while trying to get a power window motor back in the door.
With one hand, reaching through a small cutout I'm supposed to hold the motor tight to the window regulator to engage the gears, hold the cover plate, line up the holes and screw in the bolts holding everything together - all with just a couple of fingers!. I wonder how much a shop would charge to do this?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:02 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Any job I have to do more than once!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by joewill
is bird cage replacement.

From someone that deals with all the above issues on a weekly basis...

1) Trailing arms... Not a big deal.. If we can't get the bolt out the time to fight it (in cost to the customer) exceeds the cost of a new arm so we zip out the plasma cutter and they are out quick.

2) I don't cant lay on my back to do dash repairs... when you don't bend this isn't an option... To do dash repairs, for me.. easier to yank the column and pull the pad. Six bolts to pull the column and then you can sit in the driver seat pull the pad and rest it on your legs.

3) Power brake booster replacement... Neat trick.. It takes two swivels and two 12" extensions. Wrap the swivels with electrical tape put it on the nut and then hit it with the impact... zips those nuts right off the booster. Since this requires getting under the dash I defer to my helpers..

I have to agree with Joe. I don't care if I ever do another bird cage replacement in my life.

Windshield frames used to be a hindrance, so I built a jig. Frame replacement is a nightmare but just a time eater.. but try pricing and doing a bird cage replacement. We won't do this job again... it takes up too much time and the cost to the customer will in most cases exceed the value of the car when completed.

IMHO,

Ernie
Old 03-31-2017, 12:49 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
Any job I have to do more than once!
This. Though at least you know what you're doing the second time around.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:00 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

1) Trailing arms... Not a big deal.. If we can't get the bolt out the time to fight it (in cost to the customer) exceeds the cost of a new arm so we zip out the plasma cutter and they are out quick.

2) I don't cant lay on my back to do dash repairs... when you don't bend this isn't an option... To do dash repairs, for me.. easier to yank the column and pull the pad. Six bolts to pull the column and then you can sit in the driver seat pull the pad and rest it on your legs.

3) Power brake booster replacement... Neat trick.. It takes two swivels and two 12" extensions. Wrap the swivels with electrical tape put it on the nut and then hit it with the impact... zips those nuts right off the booster. Since this requires getting under the dash I defer to my helpers..

I have to agree with Joe. I don't care if I ever do another bird cage replacement in my life.

Windshield frames used to be a hindrance, so I built a jig. Frame replacement is a nightmare but just a time eater.. but try pricing and doing a bird cage replacement. We won't do this job again... it takes up too much time and the cost to the customer will in most cases exceed the value of the car when completed.

IMHO,

Ernie
You make it sound easy to change a brake booster but talk is cheap and doing is another thing . I use the same technique as you described and it is still next to impossible to get at the one top nut . You said yourself that you can't get under the dash . It's always easier to watch someone else work but try it yourself. That's another story and another description of whether it is a hard job or not.

Get notified of new replies

To What repair job do you hate doing the most

Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 PM
speedracer2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

IMHO,

Ernie
After 15 different Vettes, I have done all the above. Add heater core and you have nailed it!
Old 04-01-2017, 10:58 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

I hate to do this to all you guys.....but doing anything on my car is better than going to work......
The following users liked this post:
speedracer2 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 06:18 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sstocker31
I hate to do this to all you guys.....but doing anything on my car is better than going to work......
Amen, brother!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What repair job do you hate doing the most