Sponsored by:

1969 Outer Seat Belt Reinforcement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 AM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 Outer Seat Belt Reinforcement

Does anyone have pics of the outer seat belt reinforcement (installed). I am replacing the rocker channels (a project years in the making with all of the irons i have in various fires.) I am trying to figure out how this reinforcement fits with the new rocker channel. Pics of the seat belt guide inside the car would be awesome as well. Thanks much in advance.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:03 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

sorry not installed yet that's a 69 rocker channel , you can see the two holes in the rusty "rectangle" area ,they simply line up with the holes in the fibreglass . Inside goes the belt guide , up against the rocker goes the outer reinforcement plate .You can see the unpainted part (no black ) on the glass in this pic, it curls around and goes under the bottom and even a bit up the back face. If you look close you can see what's left of the two rivets used to hold the outer reinforcement on.

here's the inner guide in position.

here's the outer reinforcement , you can see the 3 welded nuts that the bolts from inside go into

what type of new rocker channel are you putting in ?

Last edited by bazza77; 03-27-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 AM
MoneyPit
Racer

I got them from Volunteer Vette, but I think there is only one manufacturer. Thanks for the post that is helpful. I still have to lurches the guide pieces. I just have the outers. There was literally nothing left of any of these pieces ony car. It was a mess!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MoneyPit
I got them from Volunteer Vette, but I think there is only one manufacturer. Thanks for the post that is helpful. I still have to lurches the guide pieces. I just have the outers. There was literally nothing left of any of these pieces ony car. It was a mess!
I cut those channels out and put in ones from a 74 , my outer reinforcements were rotted away and all three bolts had to be cut off , that's why that one looks so good its brand new !

Last edited by bazza77; 03-27-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi MP,
The manufacturer of the 69 seat belt reinforcements that I'm aware of is CSC Reproduction Corvette Parts.
They make a nice assortment of those sort of reinforcements, brackets, and other underbody parts.
They're located in Pa.
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:12 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi MP,
The manufacturer of the 69 seat belt reinforcements that I'm aware of is CSC Reproduction Corvette Parts.
They make a nice assortment of those sort of reinforcements, brackets, and other underbody parts.
They're located in Pa.
Regards,
Alan
CSC looks like a great supplier. I will be ordering some parts this week. Bazza77, just above and right of where your inner support is sitting in the pic, I have a non-standard "ventilation port" installed by water and a neglectful previous owner that sold me a pile of !@#$. Not to be confused with a piece of !@#$, as a piece of !@#$ would imply that it might have some worth a as a whole unit. I bought a rust pile of !@#$. I have owned several old cars, but it was my first Corvette, and I did not know a "fiberglass" car had so much metal. A guy in OK laughed all the way to the bank when I drove off.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:15 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

CSC looks like a great supplier. I will be ordering some parts this week. Bazza77, just above and right of where your inner support is sitting in the pic, I have a non-standard "ventilation port" installed by water and a neglectful previous owner that sold me a pile of !@#$. Not to be confused with a piece of !@#$, as a piece of !@#$ would imply that it might have some worth a as a whole unit. I bought a rust pile of !@#$. I have owned several old cars, but it was my first Corvette, and I did not know a "fiberglass" car had so much metal. A guy in OK laughed all the way to the bank when I drove off.
Yeah, have a good look at my picture above , you can see the outline of my insert I welded in there.

not sure how far you want to go,

Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

here's what happened on the other side , water has gotten in between the plates and rotted it away. (this is from left side of car ) see how much its swollen where the three plates overlap, the middle of the three is the rear door pillar post.

the plate on the right side is the edge of the big plate that runs across behind the seats inside

Last edited by bazza77; 03-28-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:38 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Originally Posted by bazza77
here's what happened on the other side , water has gotten in between the plates and rotted it away. (this is from left side of car ) see how much its swollen where the three plates overlap, the middle of the three is the rear door pillar post.

the plate on the right side is the edge of the big plate that runs across behind the seats inside
Yep, mine looked a lot like that. I am just about to weld up the driver side channel and ends. I am not cutting away the body. I am counting on the welds in the areas cut (or punched) out to hold. Being as the OEM was just hit with a few spot welds, I think it should be okay. However, that is some nice work you've done.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Yep, mine looked a lot like that. I am just about to weld up the driver side channel and ends. I am not cutting away the body. I am counting on the welds in the areas cut (or punched) out to hold. Being as the OEM was just hit with a few spot welds, I think it should be okay. However, that is some nice work you've done.
Yeah I agree when I pulled that piece and other pieces off I was amazed at just how little the OEM spot welds were , they look about 1/4 inch from the top but there's usually maybe just around 1/16th of actual spot weld penetration .Obviously it was enough !!!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:17 PM
69vette$
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bazza77

sorry not installed yet that's a 69 rocker channel , you can see the two holes in the rusty "rectangle" area ,they simply line up with the holes in the fibreglass . Inside goes the belt guide , up against the rocker goes the outer reinforcement plate .You can see the unpainted part (no black ) on the glass in this pic, it curls around and goes under the bottom and even a bit up the back face. If you look close you can see what's left of the two rivets used to hold the outer reinforcement on.

here's the inner guide in position.

here's the outer reinforcement , you can see the 3 welded nuts that the bolts from inside go into

what type of new rocker channel are you putting in ?
Can you tell me where exactly these outer guides go on a 69 corvette? I bought a pair by mistake thinking that they were the inner guides. Thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 05:10 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

\\This was when I was test fitting the piece

Last edited by SB64; 08-01-2018 at 05:14 AM. Reason: add text

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Outer Seat Belt Reinforcement

Quick Reply: 1969 Outer Seat Belt Reinforcement