Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm A Tumbling Fool - Or Cleaning Bolts The Easy Way

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:59 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

what media do you use and how long do you tumble?
i bought a tumbler from harbor freight.. not the drum type though, the shaker type...
perhaps its my lack of patience, but I don't get anywhere near that result.

yes, i just hit my cleaned bolts with semigloss clear spray.. stops the rust.

Last edited by joewill; 04-03-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:48 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I bought a sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight, and I have a tumbler for my reloading. I use walnut shells in the tumbler, and a cleaner for brass in the sonic cleaner. The make many solutions for the sonic cleaner, pick what you need for your job, I'm only doing reloading.

After the sonic cleaner, I put them in the tumbler for about an hour, and my brass is completely clean, very close to new brass, even the primer pockets are clean.

That sonic cleaner is very good, but if I was to use mine for bolts, I think I'd use some brake clean to remove the grease as much as I could to keep my solution as clean as possible for as long as I could.
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (04-07-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 12:56 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
I bought a sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight, and I have a tumbler for my reloading. I use walnut shells in the tumbler, and a cleaner for brass in the sonic cleaner. The make many solutions for the sonic cleaner, pick what you need for your job, I'm only doing reloading.

After the sonic cleaner, I put them in the tumbler for about an hour, and my brass is completely clean, very close to new brass, even the primer pockets are clean.

That sonic cleaner is very good, but if I was to use mine for bolts, I think I'd use some brake clean to remove the grease as much as I could to keep my solution as clean as possible for as long as I could.
Yes, I too would like to know since now that you tumbled off the protective coating (zinc, phosphate)what is the plan to keep them from turning to rust the first humid day?

Thanks,
Danny
Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by hicswa
Yes, I too would like to know since now that you tumbled off the protective coating (zinc, phosphate)what is the plan to keep them from turning to rust the first humid day?

Thanks,
Danny
I'm not doing bolts, I'm reloading. You might be better off to ask one of the guys that's actually cleaning the bolts.

But, if I was cleaning bolts like this thread suggests, I'd have some WD-40 until I was going to use them, and or paint them for use.

And, I don't think that a sonic cleaner would remove any chemically applied coating, unless you put it in for 30 minutes (or more), but a cleaning cycle only takes about 5-8 minutes.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:53 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Wouldn't a media blaster (sand, beads etc) be faster?
Old 04-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by bigredbrad
Ive only been doing this for about 15 years, so I still have lots and lots to learn, thats why I asked the question. I was just wondering what another restorer does to save and reuse these original and correct bolts.
Well you have four options when it comes to hardware during a restoration.

1) Wire wheel on a bench grinder
2) Tumbler and media
3) Out source to a platter.
4) Buy new

I have done all four and # 1 & 2 are time consuming and don't always produce the desired results. #3 & 4 seem to run about the same price and again #3 doesn't always produce the desired results.

It comes down to time vs. money saved vs. desired results vs. NCRS judging. You have to weigh all the above and make the call on what's best for you.

For me on a non judged car I will make up a list that consists of all new hardware and rubber for the rolling chassis and drop that is one order. Last restoration for this option was $2,605.53

If re-using hardware you can cut that cost down to the price of a handful of rubber items and some paint. Think about it, even on a 125K mile chassis that hasn't seen the road since the mid 80's the only thing that is really bad is anything rubber. All the rest can be cleaned, repacked, re-shimmed ETC.

Not sure yet what direction I will head in on the 71 but I do like a factory fresh looking chassis with new nuts and bolts. I might do a combination of #1,2,4

D
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (04-07-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 04:51 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not doing bolts, I'm reloading. You might be better off to ask one of the guys that's actually cleaning the bolts.

But, if I was cleaning bolts like this thread suggests, I'd have some WD-40 until I was going to use them, and or paint them for use.

And, I don't think that a sonic cleaner would remove any chemically applied coating, unless you put it in for 30 minutes (or more), but a cleaning cycle only takes about 5-8 minutes.

My bad. The question was for the thread starter. However, I understand the sonic won't remove the finish but the tumbler well. so that is what I am curious with.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:27 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

My bad. The question was for the thread starter. However, I understand the sonic won't remove the finish but the tumbler well. so that is what I am curious with.

No problem, I don't know that I would need to tumble any bolts after the sonic cleaner. If you cleaned them with brake clean to remove the big grease, I think that sonic cleaner may do the trick. But, like you, I'll wait to see if this is true with the OP.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:29 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by kingkohlmn
It definitely would, but it would take off any factory chemical coating.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:40 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by joewill
what media do you use and how long do you tumble?
i bought a tumbler from harbor freight.. not the drum type though, the shaker type...
perhaps its my lack of patience, but I don't get anywhere near that result.

yes, i just hit my cleaned bolts with semigloss clear spray.. stops the rust.
I have used three different media's in the tumbler. First I ever used was the Harbor Freight Ceramic Green Pyramid media. Works well to cut the crud off but not the best for polishing the finish. Second one I have used is a black 80 grit metallic powder. Didn't work as well as I liked so I have stopped using that one. Third one, and my preferred media is a 70 Grit Glass Bead I got which works well on fine cleaning. Total tumble time depends on how rusty they are so now I have added a soaking station for greasy parts, and a soaking station for rusty parts. Really helps reduce the tumbling time.

Afterwards I sometimes soak the nuts and bolts in an oil based product like bicycle chain lube. That penetrates the nuts and bolts and it also prevents corrosion of the parts.

Its not a perfect science but it is a lot of fun to see these nasty parts coming back to life.

David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 04-07-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:45 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by kingkohlmn
It would probably be just as effective once you get the grease and dirt removed. Nobody wants grease to mix in their media for sure. I don't own a blast cabinet and my back limits how long I can bend over even if I had one, so this is a set it and forget it solution for me. Allows me to multi-task.

David
Old 04-07-2017, 01:48 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Most of what I am working with has that already gone, but I understand your point. I am not doing this for NCRS builds so losing that coating isn't a concern for me. Cleaning them well enough to put back into service, is.
Hope that helps.
David
Old 04-07-2017, 01:50 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

No problem, I don't know that I would need to tumble any bolts after the sonic cleaner. If you cleaned them with brake clean to remove the big grease, I think that sonic cleaner may do the trick. But, like you, I'll wait to see if this is true with the OP.
I don't have a sonic cleaner and I don't handle brake cleaner typically to do this kind of work. VOC's can and are an issue. Only way I would use brake cleaner is with a correct mask in a well ventilated area. My little tumbling station is in my basement where those brake VOC's are not welcomed. I'm not saying that won't work well for anyone, I'm just saying it wouldn't be a viable solution for me.
Thanks for asking.
David
Old 04-07-2017, 02:09 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Latest batch of small parts to come out of the media tumbler using Glass Bead 70 Grit.

Name:  IMG_20170407_115548284 (1024x576) (2).jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  633.3 KB

The valve cover parts will be painted Corvette Orange and be put back into service.

The lug nuts will have their threads cleared, soak them in bicycle oil, put them aside for use on my 69 chassis later.

The mirror brackets will be clear coated and put aside for use late, as will the emergency brake bracket.

Front spindle washers, not sure yet, thinking.

Thanks for watching.

David
Old 04-07-2017, 02:31 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
I don't have a sonic cleaner and I don't handle brake cleaner typically to do this kind of work. VOC's can and are an issue. Only way I would use brake cleaner is with a correct mask in a well ventilated area. My little tumbling station is in my basement where those brake VOC's are not welcomed. I'm not saying that won't work well for anyone, I'm just saying it wouldn't be a viable solution for me.
Thanks for asking.
David
I don't know about you, but I never use brake clean spray can in an enclosed area. And I never said what kind of personal protective gear I use. I honestly thought that was a common sense thing, that we would all use it, gloves, mask, safety glasses. I guess working in and around the USAF for 42 years has me taking safety for granted, and thinking everybody else does as well.

And they make a brake clean for you worried folks that's VOC compliant. Look for it on the car parts store shelves

Last edited by USAFVeteran; 04-07-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:36 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I don't know about you, but I never use brake clean spray can in an enclosed area. And I never said what kind of personal protective gear I use. I honestly thought that was a common sense thing, that we would all use it, gloves, mask, safety glasses. I guess working in and around the USAF for 42 years has me taking safety for granted, and thinking everybody else does as well.

And they make a brake clean for you worried folks that's VOC compliant. Look for it on the car parts store shelves
Me, no, others, maybe. That stuff will ruin the lining of your lungs in short order for sure. Safety first, I agree.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:45 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
Me, no, others, maybe. That stuff will ruin the lining of your lungs in short order for sure. Safety first, I agree.
I became a painter in the Air Force in early 1975, and we had little more than paper masks back then. And we painted polyurethane by the hundreds of gallons every week.

I've been stationed at bases that were closed due to contamination. I could continue, but I won't. I'm just waiting for the symptoms to show up for all the chemicals I've been exposed to. That's why I take almost every precaution that I can now, I don't need to compound what's already in my body.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm A Tumbling Fool - Or Cleaning Bolts The Easy Way

Old 04-07-2017, 02:54 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I became a painter in the Air Force in early 1975, and we had little more than paper masks back then. And we painted polyurethane by the hundreds of gallons every week.

I've been stationed at bases that were closed due to contamination. I could continue, but I won't. I'm just waiting for the symptoms to show up for all the chemicals I've been exposed to. That's why I take almost every precaution that I can now, I don't need to compound what's already in my body.
My exposure in the Navy was to asbestos. Like you I am waiting and hoping I didn't do more damage than my body was able to overcome on its own. Hence my ban on VOC's including paints without a really good filtered mask. Thanks for your service.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the post. I had heard about this, but with your photos I can now see that this is something that I can use. I plan on using getting one and the media at my next tool run.

kdf
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I picked up the tumbler this past Sunday. I already have it running with various rusted bolts nuts and washers. Its taking longer than I expected because I keep turning it off to check the progress!!. I have to just let it run for a while and leave it alone. But I can already see improvements on many of the bolts.

Thanks for bringing this up and showing the photos.

kdf

Quick Reply: I'm A Tumbling Fool - Or Cleaning Bolts The Easy Way