C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Door Panel Restoration and Re-skin - Never Replace What You Can Restore!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Slow Day....

bazza77-- Thank you for your compliment, I really appreciate it!!

Well, today was a slow day (Read: my bride of 30 years recruited me for domestic duties. If there's ONE thing I've learned in my 30+ years of marriage, it's move as fast as you can when the Colonel issues you your marching orders. )

In the free time I found, I did the restoration on both doors armrest trim and lock bezels. The toughest part of the lock bezels was replicating the the circular sliver area around the lock shaft opening. That area is NOT raised, but was merely masked off from the factory. This was done to avoid having the bezel paint getting chewed up from movement. It seemed to be a good idea, so I made a special piece to mask it off. I think it came out pretty well.

BEFORE and AFTER SHOTS - LH DOOR PARTS

Old 04-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi W,
Nicely detailed work on the trim!
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Thank you Alan, I truly appreciate the compliment!
Old 04-06-2017, 04:49 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi W,
Nicely detailed work on the trim!
Regards,
Alan
Absolutely , these door cards will be as new when their finished . excellent work .
Old 04-07-2017, 01:21 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

WOW! What an amazing thread! Great example of patience and commitment to excellence! Very commendable! Thank you for sharing. It will be a great inspiration and help to others who follow in your footsteps!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:33 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Mr. White 74L48,
I just read through this entire thread.
You are a true craftsman, that's comes to mind almost immediately.
Not many of us could tackle that level of detail work with the most
spectacular results. The wood work is beautifully done.
Wow, thank you for the thread.
I enjoyed watching your progress and certainly am amazed how they came out.
As a married man of 30 years in this December, I know what you mean when the 1st Sgt calls all play time ceases.
Very nice job.
Marshal
Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

bazza77-- I just noticed you're from Perth! I love how this forum brings together enthusiasts from around the globe...fantastic! I would like to thank you once again for your kind words from so far away!!

Andy-- Thank you so much for your kind words! My hope in posting this was to show others that projects of this nature can be done by the "Average Joe" (that's me!) and to give those who might be interested in taking this on a little guidance on what to expect along the way, while hopefully removing a few of the unknowns that tend nag us when thinking about undertaking jobs like this.

Marshal-- First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming 30 years of marriage! Is your bride a "car-gal" too? I was fortunate enough to find a gal who suffers the same automotive affliction as me!

I truly appreciate your compliments on my work, and you are very kind to say so. As I said earlier, I have really enjoyed doing this so far. This is the first time I've tackled this project, and since I couldn't seem to find a write up done on this topic, I thought I would take the opportunity to share my journey so others could decide if this project is a good fit or not. I look forward to sharing the continued results of this project right up until it's completion.

More to come....
The following users liked this post:
bazza77 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

I had a few free moments after supper last night and suddenly remembered that I had almost forgot about the door handle. I went to take a before shot and found I had driven the camera battery into oblivion over the last week, so for this handle and emblem I only have an after shot I took this morning with my freshly charged camera. I will post before and after shots of the passenger side when I get to it. In case you're wondering, yes, that is the original crossed flag medallion in the handle. Removed, restored, replaced.

More to come....
Old 04-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

The saga continues....

The first thing I did was to install the window sweep. I did not cover this because I've seen the installation of sweeps covered may times, and did not want to bore anyone. If requested, I can cover this step on the RH panel, but will only do so by request.

Next it was on to installing the carpet on the bottom of the doors. My panels are getting loop. This is because I got a complete free set of black loop carpet with a parts car I bought, and free trumps buying more. So loop it is!

The first step was to install the carpet trim rail. I ran some making tape along the top edge so I would know exactly where my top edge is, then I removed the rail.

Next, with the face of the vinyl folded up against the face of the carpet, I aligned the lower edge of the carpet with the bottom of the door panel, and stapled it in place (same as the factory did).

After the carpet was stapled along the outer edge, I folded the vinyl trim piece out over the lower outer section of the door and let sit. Now came the time to trim the carpet. I saw that the top of the old carpet ran roughly from mid-hole to mid-hole down the door. Knowing where my top edge is and seeing the EXACT curve I needed to follow made trimming easy. GO SLOWLY on this step. Now is not the time for mistakes! I used 4 razor blades on this step. I buy them by the box cheap at Harbor Freight so I have no problem tossing them if they start to feel a little dull.

After trimming, you will end up with some edge fuzz. DO NOT pull on the fuzz to remove! You can risk unraveling the carpet. Use a pair of really sharp scissors or new razor blades to carefully trim the excess fuzz away.

Since I cut the carpet from mid-hole to mid-hole, I needed to make the way clear for the trim rail install. Instead of trimming, I decided to use an old soldering iron I have specifically for these kinds of tasks. TIP: (The soldering iron method makes it easy to locate the seat mounting holes for the main carpet too...simply poke the hot iron through the bolt hole on the bottom side and you have an exact location for seat installation.)

After this stage I completed the lower carpet install by stapling the vinyl to the back of the door panel. Next I installed the lock / handle bezel, and arm rest trim, carpet trim rail, and woodgrain insert panel.

THE FINISHED PRODUCT:

I think it came out pretty good for being my first time. We'll see how the passenger side comes out. I start that one tomorrow.

Last edited by Red86Z51; 04-07-2017 at 03:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
69ttop502 (06-14-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

That really looks great! I really like the looped carpet better, to me it appears more richer and neater than the cut pile. I'll bet it will last longer and not fray up as easy as the cut pile does on the bottom of the doors.You really do nice work. I'm waiting for my pieces of wood vaneer to arrive, so I can try my hand at the console insert. I ordered a piece of oak, and a piece of teak. Just to compare the two. Keep up the excellent work my friend!
Tooch

Last edited by Tooch1; 04-07-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by White74L48
The saga continues....

The first thing I did was to install the window sweep. I did not cover this because I've seen the installation of sweeps covered may times, and did not want to bore anyone. If requested, I can cover this step on the RH panel, but will only do so by request.

Next it was on to installing the carpet on the bottom of the doors. My panels are getting loop. This is because I got a complete free set of black loop carpet with a parts car I bought, and free trumps buying more. So loop it is!

The first step was to install the carpet trim rail. I ran some making tape along the top edge so I would know exactly where my top edge is, then I removed the rail.

Next, with the face of the vinyl folded up against the face of the carpet, I aligned the lower edge of the carpet with the bottom of the door panel, and stapled it in place (same as the factory did).

After the carpet was stapled along the outer edge, I folded the vinyl trim piece out over the lower outer section of the door and let sit. Now came the time to trim the carpet. I saw that the top of the old carpet ran roughly from mid-hole to mid-hole down the door. Knowing where my top edge is and seeing the EXACT curve I needed to follow made trimming easy. GO SLOWLY on this step. Now is not the time for mistakes! I used 4 razor blades on this step. I buy them by the box cheap at Harbor Freight so I have no problem tossing them if they start to feel a little dull.

After trimming, you will end up with some edge fuzz. DO NOT pull on the fuzz to remove! You can risk unraveling the carpet. Use a pair of really sharp scissors or new razor blades to carefully trim the excess fuzz away.

Since I cut the carpet from mid-hole to mid-hole, I needed to make the way clear for the trim rail install. Instead of trimming, I decided to use an old soldering iron I have specifically for these kinds of tasks. TIP: (The soldering iron method makes it easy to locate the seat mounting holes for the main carpet too...simply poke the hot iron through the bolt hole on the bottom side and you have an exact location for seat installation.)

After this stage I completed the lower carpet install by stapling the vinyl to the back of the door panel. Next I installed the lock / handle bezel, and arm rest trim, carpet trim rail, and woodgrain insert panel.

THE FINISHED PRODUCT:

I think it came out pretty good for being my first time. We'll see how the passenger side comes out. I start that one tomorrow.
Really nice work, on original backing and done by yourself. Great job and I am sure very rewarding. Oh, one more thing off the list.
RVZIO
Old 04-07-2017, 06:01 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

White74L48
Outstanding job!! I knew I kept my old set of door panels around for a reason.
I always prefer to restore or save original parts over purchasing new whenever I can.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Tooch-- Thank you!! I had the same thought about the loop on the doors, especially after I installed it. The loop could really take a beating and still look nice. It cleans up easily too.

RVZIO-- Thank you!! Admittedly, I feel good about the results. This is one job that I feel the effort was worth it. One down, one to go...I start skinning the passenger side this morning.

AzMototrhead--
Thank you!! I am the same here. Like the thread is titled: Never Replace What You Can Restore, that seems to be how I live my life. Maintain and restore. I guess that explains why the washer and dryer you see on page 1 are still running like new over 30 years later! I have never ascribed to the "disposable society mentality" way of life...which sometimes causes grumbling from the pretty side of our little enclave. She says our place is getting to be like a museum of modern history here.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Default The end

All good things must come to an end, and so it is now for this project. I completed the re-skin and re-install if the trim on this door panel today in 5.5 hours, start to finish. Here is a before and after of the RH panel with a couple of extra shots just for fun.

RH DOOR PANEL BEFORE:

RH DOOR PANEL AFTER:

Thanks to all who have followed my journey on the restoration process. I truly appreciate all of the kind words shared with me. It is my hope that others will see that this job is not as bad as may be imagined. Now that this has been completed, I will be continuing to prep my car for paint. One more piece of the puzzle has been set in place.

I will be sure to keep these pictures in their own folder to both keep them active in this thread and to avoid accidental deletion.

Again, thank you for taking the time to follow along.

Dave

Last edited by Red86Z51; 04-08-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:08 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i enjoyed all the restoration work i did and i hope all the members do the same.make home made tools and improvise to the max.nice job and enjoy your next project.wahooo!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Great job!!

This was an unbelievable tutorial!! Great job. I've just pulled the door panels from my 69. They were covered over the original skins with white leather. I'm going back to the original black. If I cant remove the glue from the original skins I will be reskinning as the original cores seem excellent. Do you know what part numbers the skins you got were at Corvette America? I looked on thier website and cant find the skins? Thanks.

Pat
Old 06-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pmccooey
This was an unbelievable tutorial!! Great job. I've just pulled the door panels from my 69. They were covered over the original skins with white leather. I'm going back to the original black. If I cant remove the glue from the original skins I will be reskinning as the original cores seem excellent. Do you know what part numbers the skins you got were at Corvette America? I looked on thier website and cant find the skins? Thanks.

Pat
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the compliments!! You can find the correct Corvette America door panel skins for your car here (Link) --> 1968-1969 Corvette Door Panel Skins

I'm actually getting pretty close to reinstalling the interior...I'm cutting and buffing paint right now. I plan on sharing some pics of the door panels installed once I finished the exterior. Nothing like a visual to bring things to life, right?

Dave

Last edited by Red86Z51; 06-13-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Deluxe Door Panel Restoration and Re-skin - Never Replace What You Can Restore!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks Dave! That page didnt come up before when I went to thier web site, weird. My interior is completely gutted down to fiberglass and will slowly come back to life but your doors look great and I'm sure was worth the work.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Nice write up, I am preparing to do a set of door panels,
I will use this as a guide Thanks, 69Vett
Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Thanks 69, I appreciate the compliment!

Quick Reply: Deluxe Door Panel Restoration and Re-skin - Never Replace What You Can Restore!