Sponsored by:

1975 seat back will not release / over reclined

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:09 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 1975 seat back will not release / over reclined

The driver's side seat back in the 1975 I just bought does not release and is 'over reclined' meaning that I think it reclines further than it should, certainly further back than the passenger seat. I have rebuilt the seats in my 64 and 69 (many years ago) but I am not familiar with the release mechanism in these later seats. The seat back cover is off on the driver's seat so I can get in there and look around, it did not look like there was much there that would help.

Where do I start to get it to release? My plan is to pull the seat out and replace whatever is required to get it back to normal function, but it will be tough to get to the rear bolts if I cannot get the back to release. Any help is appreciated.

Scott

over reclined / un-releasable driver's seat
Old 04-05-2017, 01:41 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

I have opened up the back of the head rest area and I can see below and behind the button mechanism that is supposed to release the seat back. I cannot find where that metal strap is being held up. Could it be that the strap is getting stuck on something for their down in the seat? Does somebody have a graphic on how that button is supposed to release that strap?

Old 04-05-2017, 05:15 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Scott-

The seat back release has a steel flat slide with a square in the end of it... this square locks into the top mechanism.

I have one in my shop right now (I'm doing seat installations right now) so let me see if I can take a picture of what you need to get to free up.

Also.. look at the housing the strap runs in.. if it's been crushed it will/can pinch the seat back release strap and prevent it from moving. About the only cure you could do would be to drill a hole in the crushed area and then pull it with a dent puller. We weld a bolt onto them heat them up with a torch and pull them out when this happens but most don't have the tools here we have.

I'll post you a picture as soon as possible.

Here is a pic of the seat release strap that slides in the housing.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 04-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Here is a picture but you can find instructions on how to free it at our tech page.

You see the upper picture has an arrow pointing toward the tang that holds the strap locked. If you push the button this pushes this tang out of the square that locks it in place. If it's stuck, you'll need to pry between the two arrows (the strap and the button mounting part that holds it... then the strap should release.

Like I said above, it's possible that the strap is pinched inside the housing too.. so inspect it for large dents..

The tilt of the seat tilt is adjusted by lengthening the seat back upper stops.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/

Or go direct to this link: http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...p-locking-tab/

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 04-05-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:44 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I can see that the strap moves freely relative to the seat when I rock it back-and-forth so I don't think it's pinched in there, but it may be that those shoulders towards the top are catching on something, do you think that could be it?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:48 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ScottEwine
Thanks, I can see that the strap moves freely relative to the seat when I rock it back-and-forth so I don't think it's pinched in there, but it may be that those shoulders towards the top are catching on something, do you think that could be it?
Naw.. if there isn't any pinching in the the housing.. the thing is just stuck in there.. Push the button and try to pry downward on the thing.

Are you putting new covers on? Because it looks like you tore it at the button bezel. These covers are a royal PITA to install.. but something you can do at home if you take your time.

You should remove the back bezel, the seat back and then you can remove the seat back release assembly.... I've had better luck working with them in hand than having them mounted in a seat. Put them in a vice... that's how Kevin does it for me when they are stuck.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a condition where the top and bottom metal stoppers were off center and were catching on each other. Think of his a T on the bottom cushion, and an upside down _l_ on the top cushion. If they are offset a little then they can get wedged into each other, and that will stop the seatback from moving forward.

kdf
Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kdf1986
I had a condition where the top and bottom metal stoppers were off center and were catching on each other. Think of his a T on the bottom cushion, and an upside down _l_ on the top cushion. If they are offset a little then they can get wedged into each other, and that will stop the seatback from moving forward.

kdf
kdf,

In the end it seems this is what the problem was, so I guess I should replace the upper and lower bolts and try to install them so the alignment is better.

Scott
Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Naw.. if there isn't any pinching in the the housing.. the thing is just stuck in there.. Push the button and try to pry downward on the thing.

Are you putting new covers on? Because it looks like you tore it at the button bezel. These covers are a royal PITA to install.. but something you can do at home if you take your time.

You should remove the back bezel, the seat back and then you can remove the seat back release assembly.... I've had better luck working with them in hand than having them mounted in a seat. Put them in a vice... that's how Kevin does it for me when they are stuck.
Willcox Corvette -

Thanks for the responses. In the end it was not the outboard upper and lower seat back bolts that passed each other, allowing the seat to over recline and then they got caught on each other, not allowing the seat to come forward again.

That seat back came pre-torn, and there is some other wear and tear on them, so eventually they will be replaced along with the carpet. I have done the seat covers/cusions and carpet on my 64 and 69 so I know it can be tough but it possible with patience. For now I guess I would just be looking for new upper bolts for the seats and guidance on installation so they line up correctly. I think the rubber has worn off the upper bolts allowing them to catch.

Thanks again for the excellent information.

Scott
Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Willcox Corvette -

Thanks for the responses. In the end it was not the outboard upper and lower seat back bolts that passed each other, allowing the seat to over recline and then they got caught on each other, not allowing the seat to come forward again.

That seat back came pre-torn, and there is some other wear and tear on them, so eventually they will be replaced along with the carpet. I have done the seat covers/cusions and carpet on my 64 and 69 so I know it can be tough but it possible with patience. For now I guess I would just be looking for new upper bolts for the seats and guidance on installation so they line up correctly. I think the rubber has worn off the upper bolts allowing them to catch.

Thanks again for the excellent information.

Scott
Scott-

If the bumpers are not in alignment the frames are either bent or broken. The bottom of the seat frame is the most likely culprit since they are subject to the abuse of the upper fulcrum power and quite possibly a slightly over-weight person.

But.. you might be able to bend the bottom frame from the underside to make them line up better and then when you do the seat covers and have the raw frames in had... that would be the time to fix them.

Ernie
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

I am going to revive this post now that I have the seats out and the covers/foam off. The driver side door had been repaired, you can see the repair here.

Previous repair on the upper seat frame from my 1975 Corvette.

The geometry on that seems to be OK compared to the other frame, here they are from the other side.

Reverse of the repaired seat frame.

Same view of un-repaired seat back.

So it may be the issue is with the lower seat frame. The bottom seat from in this picture shows that the back of the frame is bent, with the inside of the back part of the frame bent downward a bit, it seems like this is the main issue with the geometry.

The lower seat frames. The one on the bottom seems to be bent in the rear, and that may be the issue with the geometry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 11-03-2017, 10:35 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

This is probably where your problem lies. The top one will get under the bottom ones edge and will lock. It happened to my 75. I heard a bit of a popping right before it happened while getting into the seat
Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

I am going to revive this post now that I have the seats out and the covers/foam off. The driver side door had been repaired, you can see the repair here.

Previous repair on the upper seat frame from my 1975 Corvette.

The geometry on that seems to be OK compared to the other frame, here they are from the other side.

Reverse of the repaired seat frame.

Same view of un-repaired seat back.

So it may be the issue is with the lower seat frame. The bottom seat from in this picture shows that the back of the frame is bent, with the inside of the back part of the frame bent downward a bit, it seems like this is the main issue with the geometry.

The lower seat frames. The one on the bottom seems to be bent in the rear, and that may be the issue with the geometry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott-

You just need to tweak the frames where the bumpers screw in. It's possible to bend the frames where the bumpers screw in and you should make sure before you install anything that the top bumpers meet up with the lower bumpers before you do the install.

There is a lower seat frame repair plate that you can weld over top the lower seat frame but I have to be honest, I've never found a need to use one because I can always seem to tweak the upper frame and the lower frame so that the bumpers meet on top of each other.

I doubt that the rails are the issue they never are... But the most common issue is someone being over-weight, dropping into the seat and then bending the frame (either the upper or lower). So take a hard look at the frames, bolt them together and tweak them as needed.

Ernie
The following users liked this post:
ScottEwine (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did the seats on my ‘75 and had similar issues. I stripped the frames to bare, welded the new reinforcement plates to the lower frames, but the one thing I didn’t do is: bolt the frames together before new foam and covers and check the alignment of the bumpers. I got new foam and covers, redid the tracks and put everything together only to find I should jave massaged the frames a bit to get the bumpers to align. I am now thinking about welding another piece of steel to the tops of the lower screws to “catch” the upper bumper.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:52 AM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

Scott-

You just need to tweak the frames where the bumpers screw in. It's possible to bend the frames where the bumpers screw in and you should make sure before you install anything that the top bumpers meet up with the lower bumpers before you do the install.

There is a lower seat frame repair plate that you can weld over top the lower seat frame but I have to be honest, I've never found a need to use one because I can always seem to tweak the upper frame and the lower frame so that the bumpers meet on top of each other.

I doubt that the rails are the issue they never are... But the most common issue is someone being over-weight, dropping into the seat and then bending the frame (either the upper or lower). So take a hard look at the frames, bolt them together and tweak them as needed.

Ernie
Ernie,

Thanks. Upon further inspection and comparison I can see that the bottom lower frame in the picture is missing part of the frame which allowed the top surface to bend down rather easily. I have been able to massage them to get them pretty close and will leave it to my welder friend to make the rest of the adjustments and weld in the reinforcements. I have all of the bumpers installed so he can verify the alignment as he works.

Scott
Old 11-10-2017, 07:10 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

I dropped them off at a welder friend and he aligned them and added a little reinforcement.

My friend Joe added these fillets to each side of the upper after getting everything aligned.

Everything aligns nicely now.

The lowers were reinforced as well.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:04 PM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

The seat covers are on and everything lines up nicely!

Scott
Old 12-05-2017, 09:55 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

They look great Scott...

I'm not be critical... You did an awesome job. I'm a bit **** when it comes to seat covers... So with that being said, if you want those little wafer's in the upper outer bolster part of the seat back to go away... steam them if you can! I have an upholstery steamer here that I use here and it works great.

A blow drier will do the same it just takes longer. Heat them, rub them out, heat again rub out and then let them cool. The vinyl will shrink and the wafers will go away.

Ernie

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 12-05-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 AM
ScottEwine
Burning Brakes

They look great Scott...

I'm not be critical... You did an awesome job. I'm a bit **** when it comes to seat covers... So with that being said, if you want those little wafer's in the upper outer bolster part of the seat back to go away... steam them if you can! I have an upholstery steamer here that I use here and it works great.

A blow drier will do the same it just takes longer. Heat them, rub them out, heat again rub out and then let them cool. The vinyl will shrink and the wafers will go away.

Ernie

Ernie,

Thanks. I will give it a try!

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 seat back will not release / over reclined

Quick Reply: 1975 seat back will not release / over reclined