Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to determine one cars value

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:29 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks to everyone who formed their opinion. Seeing what everyone wrote id say my opinion is looking at the Hagerty value for a guideline and then using your own judgement on a car to determine its value.. Mike
Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I have to disagree. There's no calculation that includes what you put into a car that will reflect any sort of accurate valuation. None.

People who dump thousands and thousands of dollars into a car beyond its value, especially on poorly-chosen expenditures on mediocre investments are not increasing the value of their cars at the same rate as people who might make a better value purchase on a better investment car and spend their improvement money wisely. Apples and oranges.

Hagarty is reasonably close on many cars, but curiously way off the mark on others. NADA values are best ignored entirely.
Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
so i bought my 68 for $19k, fixed the bubba problems and added new tires for a total of $2500 so now its $16k. Haha.....So the professional appraiser that been doing it for 50 plus years that appraises antique vehicles ssaid it was worth $24k is compltely wrong and because you lost money on 10 cars your right. Thats sad. And now that ive found my numbers matching motor for $1500 its worth even less. You must be in the insurance industry. Lol
I think if you read the section highlighted above, you'd see the qualifiers that would suggest some of the items that you did put you on the higher side of the curve. I'd add that the desirability of your starting car plays a hige part in the value of restoration. Finding the original engine for an L88 is inherently adding more value than you finding your 350 for a 68 or me finding the original l48 350 for my 73.

I agree that appraisals are close to useless, not because there aren't good appraisers out there but because there are bad ones. If you're seeking an appraisal to buy or sell a car and don't have the knowledge to put a value on it, how are you going to know the difference between a reasonable or inflated appraisal?

There is an additional factor that can greatly affect transaction price, time. If the seller is patient and puts in some effort advertising and presenting the car well, it'll probably sell for a lot more than some of the Craigslist atrocities that we see on here all the time. Price will be even higher if the buyer has a lack of patience on the purchase. On the other end of the spectrum is the seller desperate to dump the car and a buyer that's being opertunistic and smells blood.

I really think that the reason these cars seem to be so hard to value is the lack of published data on completed transactions coupled with the huge range in the condition of the cars.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

In the end its only worth what someones willing to pay for it. The hagerty values do give a rough idea where to start haggling at. An very good appraiser can give you a decent estimate as well, then take those and see if your insurance company will insure it for that value. Just dont go by the Mecum prices they show on tv, those shows have totally blown prices out of proportion. Yes egos have a role in inflated prices as well. At this point whatever i add to my car isnt raising my cars value, 17" wheels and new rubber, adding power brakes and tilt column, thats all money that may only raise the price by 0.5% - 1% if i did want to sell it, which will never happen. The only way a given value will raise now is buy the whole market going up over time the way Jags and Porche did. Maybe in another 15-20 years my car will hit the $27-$30k mark. Not holding my breathe for that
Old 04-07-2017, 11:07 AM
GTO1966
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars values are such a funny thing, I was looking at 85 to 88 testerrosa in 2008 in the bottom of the economy and they were giving those cars away for 55 to 68k....now in 2017 they are 120 to 180k ...hows that for a wild swing in value, and the real question is why???
Old 04-07-2017, 11:14 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GTO1966
Cars values are such a funny thing, I was looking at 85 to 88 testerrosa in 2008 in the bottom of the economy and they were giving those cars away for 55 to 68k....now in 2017 they are 120 to 180k ...hows that for a wild swing in value, and the real question is why???
I was looking at the same a few years back... same thing for a Countach. Guessing it's people like me who were kids in the 80's now have some cash and want the car from the posters on their wall as kids.

Heck, you could get a higher mileage Testarossa (i.e. 25k-35k miles on them) for <$40k. That's when I seriously thought about it... kicking myself now.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:15 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Interesting and my 2 cents.

so i bought my 68 for $19k, fixed the bubba problems and added new tires for a total of $2500 so now its $16k. Haha.....So the professional appraiser that been doing it for 50 plus years that appraises antique vehicles ssaid it was worth $24k is compltely wrong and because you lost money on 10 cars your right. Thats sad. And now that ive found my numbers matching motor for $1500 its worth even less. You must be in the insurance industry. Lol
Interesting, I paid 19 for my LeMans Blue 68 with NOM 454 too. (spent more already, though Vintage Air jumped it up a good bit, so I tell my wife, )

Seriously though as my DAD used to tell me, things are only worth what you can find somebody willing to pay for it

Hypothetical for you, take 12 Corvette buyers who buy the same Corvette: the emotional, I like red, guy and thinks they do not rust(?) pays the high end. McScrooge with a roll of benjamins in his coveralls who has been trading tractors and muscle cars since he was 14yrs old pays the low end. So, you get a range of prices just from who shows up to buy and their negotiating ability. I try to get a range of values from ebay completed sales, Mechum auctions, and asking Craigslist, ebay, ect prices (discounted maybe 10 to 20% from asking to actual sales prices, & also how long on the market). Saying all of that, my range will be different from 5 others. Isn't this what professional appraisers do, find comp's, check condition and estimate a value? IMHO, Haggerty, NADA and the rest are over valued generally.

Nice red 68 Roadster you have!!!

Last edited by 20mercury; 04-07-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

OK all you armchair appraisers take a chill pill, what I posted was more tongue in cheek than fact.

Now having said that if ANYONE is looking to own a used Chevy as a investment vehicle you are fooling yourself. Owning and wrenching on a used Corvette is a hobby nothing more and most hobbies don't generate a profit.

Try this:
(what you paid for it + what you have put into it) +$1.00 = car value

As for professional car appraisers I would put them right up there with Lawyers and Politicians who just want your money.

Best way to find the value of any item is to do your due diligence and search all for sale, sold, might be for sale, might have sold like items over the last year and that will give you a good basis for what something is worth.

In the end its worth what someone will pay for it not what you think its worth.

D
Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by 20mercury
Interesting, I paid 19 for my LeMans Blue 68 with NOM 454 too. (spent more already, though Vintage Air jumped it up a good bit, so I tell my wife, )

Seriously though as my DAD used to tell me, things are only worth what you can find somebody willing to pay for it

Hypothetical for you, take 12 Corvette buyers who buy the same Corvette: the emotional, I like red, guy and thinks they do not rust(?) pays the high end. McScrooge with a roll of benjamins in his coveralls who has been trading tractors and muscle cars since he was 14yrs old pays the low end. So, you get a range of prices just from who shows up to buy and their negotiating ability. I try to get a range of values from ebay completed sales, Mechum auctions, and asking Craigslist, ebay, ect prices (discounted maybe 10 to 20% from asking to actual sales prices, & also how long on the market). Saying all of that, my range will be different from 5 others. Isn't this what professional appraisers do, find comp's, check condition and estimate a value? IMHO, Haggerty, NADA and the rest are over valued generally.

Nice red 68 Roadster you have!!!
Hi 20mercury ....Thanks for your input.....Makes sense and i agree.... And thanks for the compliment on my 68 Roadster
Old 04-07-2017, 02:21 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Honestly, it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

I've lurked around this forum for a few years, and I see that almost everybody here thinks the C-3 Corvette is not worth what I would consider to be a fair price. But, oh well......
Old 04-07-2017, 05:09 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by USAFVeteran
Honestly, it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

I've lurked around this forum for a few years, and I see that almost everybody here thinks the C-3 Corvette is not worth what I would consider to be a fair price. But, oh well......
Meaning what? A fair price higher or lower to you?
Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

I also think that every owner thinks he/she car is worth more than what is it ... And that is understandable..
Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

My car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, just like any other used car. I just sold my son's 87 jeep wrangler in good shape, I went high knowing I would have to come down as everyone offers less me included and it sold for 1000 less than asking price. so like we are all saying they are worth what someone pays for it.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:11 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by blue by you
My car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, just like any other used car. I just sold my son's 87 jeep wrangler in good shape, I went high knowing I would have to come down as everyone offers less me included and it sold for 1000 less than asking price. so like we are all saying they are worth what someone pays for it.
True dat
Old 04-07-2017, 11:05 PM
JohnnyQuik
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
My view of where a certain car fits in the Hagerty divisions may be VERY different than yours.
Regards,
Alan
You pretty much nailed the reason why people think Hagerty values are inflated. Most people who think they have a #2 car really have a #3 and so on. A typical "numbers matching" '68-'72 base motor, 4 spd coupe is worth around $20k just like Hagerty says. My '70 LS5 M21 Convertible with a bunch of options is worth around $40k just like Hagerty says. In other words, there is a huge range of values for "regular" C3's that people not familiar with the difference won't understand.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

One thing that was NOT mentioned....."What you paid for the car plus what you have into it".....BUT....what amount CAN you apply toward the WORK that YOU put into it...
how can you fairly put a $$$ value on YOUR TIME??
Old 04-08-2017, 08:48 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
$4,500 + $2,000 = $6,500 - $1,950 = $4,550

OUCH!
:
Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Sluefoot
One thing that was NOT mentioned....."What you paid for the car plus what you have into it".....BUT....what amount CAN you apply toward the WORK that YOU put into it...
how can you fairly put a $$$ value on YOUR TIME??
I guess an appraiser does not care about " Blood Sweat & Tears..

Get notified of new replies

To How to determine one cars value

Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
(what you paid for it + what you have put into it) - 30% = car value
$4,500 + $2,000 = $6,500 - $1,950 = $4,550

OUCH!
Originally Posted by MikesRed68
:
Yes, that is a crazy formula for determining the value of our Corvettes. Hagerty insurance determines the insured value based on pictures, condition, options, etc. For buying or selling, you can only go by comparing advertised asking prices, completed sales, and demand for your particular car. I do think this forum is very helpful when needing advice, whether buying or selling. I think my car is worth 40K, but it might only bring 30K. So I would start high and adjust accordingly.

I would not be in the market for a Corvette like mine because I would not want an original '71 big block 4 speed convertible. My preference would be a restored '71 small block 4 speed coupe. There are many variables when trying to determine the value of our cars, and our emotions do affect our own appraisal.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:02 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Yes, that is a crazy formula for determining the value of our Corvettes. Hagerty insurance determines the insured value based on pictures, condition, options, etc. For buying or selling, you can only go by comparing advertised asking prices, completed sales, and demand for your particular car. I do think this forum is very helpful when needing advice, whether buying or selling. I think my car is worth 40K, but it might only bring 30K. So I would start high and adjust accordingly.

I would not be in the market for a Corvette like mine because I would not want an original '71 big block 4 speed convertible. My preference would be a restored '71 small block 4 speed coupe. There are many variables when trying to determine the value of our cars, and our emotions do affect our own appraisal.
True...true......and that our emotions play a big part.....and its hard not to let that go and look beyond

Last edited by MikesRed68; 04-08-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:21 AM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

True story, take from this what you wish.....

I just bought a new truck after our house was built and needed to sell my 68 Dodge D100 half ton pick up. Brand new 318 .060 over, great cam, headers, 727 auto, aluminum intake, Holley carb, and it ran like a champ.

I parked it on the street outside of our sub development with a sign for $1800 on it, I had over $3000 just in the motor rebuild, but figured the truck was worth that.

It sat there for 3 weekends without 1 single call. On Sunday, I brought it back home and ripped the signs out and made new ones on Saturday morning, and put it back out on the street. It sold in 2 hours.

The new signs? They said $4500, and I took 4400 for it. The low price made it not worth somebody having, but raise the price for the same truck, and now it has to be a good buy.

Take that for what it's worth. And obviously, I didn't tell the new owner this story......
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (04-10-2017)

Quick Reply: How to determine one cars value