Sponsored by:

Going to NCM for the 1st Time on Monday

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 AM
blainelocklair
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Going to NCM for the 1st Time on Monday

After owning Corvettes since 2009, I'm finally going to NCM and the Assembly Plant on Monday, 4/10. Can't wait! Bringing the Mrs. and my 11-year-old son along as a family trip.

Other than the Museum Cafe, are there any other favorite restaurants or things to do in Bowling Green? You know, one of those "if you going to NCM, you've just GOT to go HERE and eat HERE while you're there" kind of places?

Thanks!
Blaine
Old 04-08-2017, 03:30 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Mamouth Caves is awesome and is less than an hour away.
https://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm
The following users liked this post:
blainelocklair (04-11-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:18 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blainelocklair
After owning Corvettes since 2009, I'm finally going to NCM and the Assembly Plant on Monday, 4/10. Can't wait! Bringing the Mrs. and my 11-year-old son along as a family trip.

Other than the Museum Cafe, are there any other favorite restaurants or things to do in Bowling Green? You know, one of those "if you going to NCM, you've just GOT to go HERE and eat HERE while you're there" kind of places?

Thanks!
Blaine
I'm going to put a plug in for my favorite restaurant ever: Wheatless ( 801 Campbell Ln, Bowling Green, KY 42104, http://www.wheatlessrestaurant.com/).

Now, a bit of explanation: I have Celiac Disease, which means I have to have a strict gluten free diet. This is rather difficult while traveling. Not only does everything Wheatless serve is gluten free, it tastes amazing.

If you like old cars, another place to check out is up the Interstate in Elizabethtown, KY called Swope's Cars of Yesteryear Museum (1012 N Dixie Hwy, Elizabethtown, KY 42701). Completely free.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I recommend going to the plant first at its earliest time then go to the museum. That way your not being rushed through the museum to make it to the plant tour which has specific tour times.
And take lots of pics at the museum.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Bowling Green is a college town and a nice place. They are plenty of restaurants. The Scottsville Road area is the most built up.

https://www.visitbgky.com/
Old 04-09-2017, 09:59 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I like Montana Grill. I think it is a chain, but a really good one.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:37 AM
delfert76
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was there a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. We did the plant tour and NCM. We also did the Mammoth Cave tour, but note that for some of the tours you have to reserve in advance. We did the self guided tour as that didn't need a reservation. We also did the Lost River Cave tour, that was cool- a boat ride in a cave. After that we stopped at the White Squirrel for a late lunch. That place was really good and has some interesting artwork.
Have fun and enjoy your trip!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:37 PM
blainelocklair
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Punisher
I recommend going to the plant first at its earliest time then go to the museum. That way your not being rushed through the museum to make it to the plant tour which has specific tour times.
And take lots of pics at the museum.
Great recommendation; we did exactly that. Worked out very well.

By the way, for those considering going to the plant and/or the museum, definitely go. It was worth every minute. The plant is an absolute miracle of modern automobile assembly. The sinkhole memorial is quite profound.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:49 PM
blainelocklair
Advanced

Originally Posted by DaveN355
I'm going to put a plug in for my favorite restaurant ever: Wheatless ( 801 Campbell Ln, Bowling Green, KY 42104, http://www.wheatlessrestaurant.com/).

Now, a bit of explanation: I have Celiac Disease, which means I have to have a strict gluten free diet. This is rather difficult while traveling. Not only does everything Wheatless serve is gluten free, it tastes amazing.

If you like old cars, another place to check out is up the Interstate in Elizabethtown, KY called Swope's Cars of Yesteryear Museum (1012 N Dixie Hwy, Elizabethtown, KY 42701). Completely free.

Thanks for this excellent recommendation! The food was fantastic, and the chips and salsa were the best I've ever had. If I ever make it back to the museum, I will definitely make a point of eating at Wheatless again.

Thanks,
Blaine
Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 PM
blainelocklair
Advanced

Thanks, everyone, for your great suggestions. It was such a whirlwind trip! The plant and the museum are both amazing, and I wholeheartedly recommend both if you've never been. It's like dying and going to a Heaven full of Corvettes. I've always said that people in Heaven don't need cars so you have to drive them all while you're here on earth. This trip just cemented that notion much more for me. If you haven't been, go. You won't regret it.

Interestingly, the museum is selling bricks from the Flint, MI factory that built the first 300 Corvettes in 1953. They are $25 each, have a numbered plate on them, and come with a certificate of authenticity from the Museum. I bought one; they are such a cool piece of the Corvette history. They had some more left while I was there.

Get notified of new replies

To Going to NCM for the 1st Time on Monday

Quick Reply: Going to NCM for the 1st Time on Monday