Sponsored by:

Rear brakes aren't working

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:12 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Rear brakes aren't working

Car sat all winter, of course. First drive had terrible brake. Found a caliper on the rear that was moist so I replaced it. I have bled the system and now have a low pedal. The fronts seem to work fine, but it seems the rear are not working. Would the proportioning valve cause this if it were bad?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:36 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Bleed, bleed and then bleed some morel

Same situation I had after replacing all of the rubber brake lines in the wheel wells. A helper or a power bleeder will be of great assistance. Vacuum bleeding isn't as effective as in other cars.

I went through more than a gallon of brake fluid but at least the system is very clean now (I'd done some flushing/bleeding when new to me to clean up the system filthy system but didn't have it as clean as now.)
Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 PM
COOLTED
Pro

I've gone through not quite a gallon of fluid. I am tired of bleeding brakes. . Could it be there's still air in it?

Last edited by COOLTED; 04-09-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I replaced rotors, calipers, pads & rear rubber & short stain. stl. lines, AND bled the entire rear brakes BY MYSELF...started out gravity bleed, then finalized by putting jar w/ hose going from bleeders into jar to ensure all air bubbles were GONE!
BE SURE & bleed the INSIDE bleeders first (Yes, Martha, there are TWO bleeders on the rear brakes!) I've had a FIRM pedal ever since...I don't need no stinkin' power bleeder or vacuum either!!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Motive Products Power Bleeder Kits 0105

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-0105/overview/
Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 AM
MISTERZ06
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Bleed, bleed and then bleed some morel

Same situation I had after replacing all of the rubber brake lines in the wheel wells. A helper or a power bleeder will be of great assistance. Vacuum bleeding isn't as effective as in other cars.

I went through more than a gallon of brake fluid but at least the system is very clean now (I'd done some flushing/bleeding when new to me to clean up the system filthy system but didn't have it as clean as now.)
When i rebuilt all four of the calipers on my 1966 (manual), i went through 2 gallons of brake fluid - using the old school method of pump-hold/bleed with two people the results were a rock hard pedal
........................................ . tom
Old 04-10-2017, 03:16 PM
COOLTED
Pro

I had given up on bleeding any more. But I gave it another go and as I was bleeding I noticed that one of the calipers that I replaced just last year was sleeping ever so slightly at one of the pistons. Got my warranty caliper and now my pedal feels like it did last year. Would have not found it if I didn't take the advise to keep bleeding. I can move on with my life as this has been a thorn in my side for about 3 weeks now. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:02 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLTED
I had given up on bleeding any more. But I gave it another go and as I was bleeding I noticed that one of the calipers that I replaced just last year was sleeping ever so slightly at one of the pistons. Got my warranty caliper and now my pedal feels like it did last year. Would have not found it if I didn't take the advise to keep bleeding. I can move on with my life as this has been a thorn in my side for about 3 weeks now. Thanks for the suggestions.
GREAT that you got the problem solved! That "seeping ever so slightly" at one of the pistons probably allowed air to enter while you were bleeding.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear brakes aren't working

Quick Reply: Rear brakes aren't working