Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I Remove Rear Spring Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 AM
f1rob
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Default How Do I Remove Rear Spring Bolts?

Hi Folks:

I want to pull out the rear spring outer bolts - the ones that go from the spring to the trailing arm.

Specifically, to be able to replace the bushings that have deteriorated.

It is easy enough to remove the nut at the bottom, but I cannot see how to actually lift the bolt out of the trailing arm, as it is blocked from above. Do I have to disassemble the trailing arm?

I have not been able to see in the AIM how this is done.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rob
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

I am not in your situation, but I dropped my entire rear end suspension and then pulled them out. Assuming your body is still on, so that may not work for you. Check with Doorgunner's post, I think he dropped his with the body on. I am sure he can help. Check out his thread.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:02 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

there is a hole above the bolt head that allows the long bolt to be pulled up and out. if you have a rear sway bar you might have to take the mount plate off to access it.

Just a heads up , there's a lot of stored energy in that spring so don't just undo the nut , there is a safe way to get it undone without breaking bones

Last edited by bazza77; 04-11-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Rob,
Once the tension is off the spring the bolt comes out of the trailing arm very easily.
BUT, are you aware of what needs to be done BEFORE removing that spring bolt nut? Bazza's warning!
The end of the spring must be 'jacked' up until all weight is off the spring so the bolt can be removed and then the jack slowly lowered to allow the spring to return to it's 'unloaded' shape.
People do this in various ways. Here's one example using a floor jack.
BE CAREFUL with this.
Regards,
Alan

The c-clamp and block of wood prevents the jacking point from sliding toward the center of the car as the jack is raised to release the pressure.
In this case the spring is being raised so the bolt can be put in place.

The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:12 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

In addition to Alan's post, the rear sway bar end links that bolt to the trailing arm need to be removed to get the bolts out.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i just stuck a floor jack under mine as close to the bolt that still allowed me to reach it then took the pressure off it until i could move it by hand freely. you could do the c-clamp think alan suggests if you want to be a little more sturdy
Old 04-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

This is what can happen if you do not think about and pay attention to exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Ask me how I know this.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I agree with FR. (and OUCH!!)
I care way to much about the car and my head to not be certain that the jack and spring are secure while the spring is being raised and lowered.
The same type of caution applies when working on the front coil springs.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-11-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:24 PM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's on the ground, the C-clamp trick with a block of wood to the inside (diff side) of a floor jack is the way to go. Place the floor jack between the C-clamp/wood block and the bolt, jack it up enough to relieve the pressure from the bolt and undo it. You'll need a wrench inside the end of the trailing arm to lock that end of the bolt from spinning, then just undo the lower nut. It will lift out through the top of the trailing arm. Make sure to position the jack far enough towards the diff side so that you can get the jack out after releasing the pressure on the spring.

Last edited by 69monzacpe; 04-11-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
This is what can happen if you do not think about and pay attention to exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Ask me how I know this.
you phoning home with that finger? that thing is messed up ROFL

in all seriousness though, yes, safety first so you keep all your bits in one piece

i had a boss at a shop i used to work at that had a big ole spicer 5 speed fall on his hand and crush every bone in it, guy was one of the best mechanics i ever knew and had about 20% mobility in his hand after god knows how many surgeries to fix it. so if your not 100% satisfied with how something is holding up when you have to put your body under it redo it until you are, you should be able to shake it around pretty hard without a worry of it falling or coming off a jack, if you do worry redo it until you dont.

Last edited by Knerf; 04-11-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: story added

Get notified of new replies

To How Do I Remove Rear Spring Bolts?

Quick Reply: How Do I Remove Rear Spring Bolts?