C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prioritize upgrades (for a total noob)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Derkluge
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prioritize upgrades (for a total noob)

Somehow, I’ve managed to catch the bug and I’m looking to purchase a C3 (maybe a ’78 or ’79 L-82) in the next year or so and turn it into a daily driver.

Full disclosure: I’m a complete noob and probably don’t grasp what I’m getting into. I’d be interested in any views on what I should be thinking about to create the ideal car for me. (Purists, please look away – I’m not particularly compelled to drive a stock car or even preserve its resale value.)

First, my situation:
- Not an experienced mechanic, but would be fun to learn; unfortunately, I have a demanding job and free time is typically devoted to my family (wife and 2 young children); buying a minivan this spring – ugh; always loved C3 corvettes when I was a kid, turning 40 this year - may as well get a 40-year old midlife-crisis car now; wife needs to be able to drive the C3 occasionally (if I’m out with the kids), and, as such, need an automatic.
- Car would primarily be used for 2-mile commute and running errands around town (which inevitably requires a fair amount of 75+ MPH highway driving). Live in Southern CA (where it can get warm).
- Here are my priorities (and I’m designating code letters for purposes you’ll see below). Car needs to be (in order of importance):
(1) as safe as possible for a 40 year old sports car (“S”);
(2) reasonably drivable and comfortable (“D/C”);
(3) reasonably reliable for a 40 year old car (“R”);
(4) looks good (“L”); and
(5) reasonably fun to drive (“F”).

After some internet research, I have the sense that I should prioritize (in terms of benefit and cost-effectiveness) some improvements I’ve seen suggested for a C3 daily driver. Any thoughts on this list of priorities? Did I miss anything or prioritize anything obviously wrong?

1. General interior refresh/upgrade (assuming it hasn’t already been refreshed/upgraded before purchase) (D/C, L)
2. 18” wheels and modern performance tires (S, L)
3. Brake, steering and suspension upgrade (maybe something like the vp&b big daddy super combo) (S, R, D/C, F);
4. General engine/electrical system refresh (battery, alternator, wiring, hoses, etc., assuming it’s needed) (R);
5. Aluminum radiator (with 4 cores & fan) (R);
6. Overdrive automatic transmission (e.g., 200-4R) (D/C);
7. ~6 or 8 point roll bar (S);
8. 5 point racing harness (S);
9. Relatively comfortable racing seats (D/C, L)
10. Headers (F)
11. Exhaust system (e.g., Magnaflow) (F)
12. Paint job (hopefully can buy a car that doesn’t need it) (L)

Of course, I could also do the responsible thing and just save the money for my kids' education.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Buy a C6. Sounds like you want more out of the car then you know how to make it.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:37 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

I think I may be with Nowhere Man on this one.
You may want to do some internet research on what the emissions testing requirements will be, since you are in Kalifornia.
This will be a large factor in which year you choose and what modifications you can make.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

We were all noob's at sometime. For me it was when George S. Patton was a school crossing guard. From someone smitten for decades, I'm thinking you might want to bump up to a C-5 or a really well appointed low mileage C-4.
Just a geezer opine. Good luck with what ever you decide on.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:58 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I think you're on the right track... These things will need you to work on it or find a good mechanic who can (probably not the guy who services your minivan!) and pay a lot of money! Good news is, these cars are pretty easy to work on, and all the information you could ever need can be found with google (much of it on this site).

For the brakes/steering/suspension, concentrate on getting it in good condition before worrying about upgrades.

I also wouldn't worry about replacing the radiator or any of those other things unless they actually have a problem. Gets very expensive very fast if you start replacing perfectly good parts.

I'd forget about the roll bar unless you're going racing. If you're not wearing a helmet you are more likely to be hurt by hitting your head on the roll bar than be protected by it due to rolling the car.

Likewise, consider with different seats that you will still need access behind the seats - it's the only storage you've got.

Finally, I'd buy a manual, and teach the wife to drive stick. Much more fun than an auto in my opinion!

Consider the naysayers advice, but keep in mind, you only live once!

Last edited by Metalhead140; 04-12-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Derkluge
...I’m looking to purchase a C3...in the next year or so and turn it into a daily driver...
Food For Thought: How many of your coworkers are using 40+ year old cars as daily drivers? On your daily commute, how many 40+ year old cars do you see on the road?

...Did I ...prioritize anything obviously wrong?...
The car will determine what your priorities will be.

...18” wheels and modern performance tires ...Brake, steering and suspension upgrade...Aluminum radiator (with 4 cores & fan)...Overdrive automatic transmission...~6 or 8 point roll bar...racing harness...racing seats...Headers...Magnaflow...
None of that is needed for a daily driver.

...I could also do the responsible thing and just save the money for my kids' education...
You will find a need to do that even with a Corvette.

For what you want to do, C4, C5, or C6 might be money better spent.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:59 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

The "look" is what draws people in.

My take on it, buy the car first, drive it awhile, then create/modify your "upgrade list".
Old 04-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Also how can one detrime it needs upgrades if one has never driven one.

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 04-12-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi D,
In trying to quantify the owning and enjoying of a 40 year I think you've left off the 'heart' factor 'H'.
Unless the car makes you're heart skip a beat every time you see it, the VAST amounts of MONEY and TIME it takes to have one will be a waste.
I too suggest that you buy one that needs almost nothing so you can drive and enjoy it and then you can begin thinking about how you want to change it.

" or even preserve its resale value."
How's your wife feel about this?

Regards,
Alan

Many fellows sell their Corvette when they realize they can't take their 2 children with them in the car. Should you be thinking of something that seats 4? A Chevelle or a Camaro?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Since you live in CA. you should probably limit your search to a car that is already registered and smogged in CA., otherwise you may be opening a can of worms. (Vehicles from 1975 and older do not need CA. smog inspections.)

You didn't list a budget, but for $15k-$20k you should be able to buy the best of the best for a 78 or 79 model year.
You can find them cheaper, but the cheaper they are, the more maintenance they will need. It's very easy to get upside down on a cheaply bought mid/late 70's vette.

Once you add in all of the "mods" that you have listed, you will definitely be upside down on the car. As long as you understand and are ok with that, no problems.

Owning a Corvette is a hobby and hobbies cost you money, plain and simple. Less than 1% of all Corvettes built have actually turned a profit.

Last edited by Revi; 04-12-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

If you got your heart set on a C3 and if you don't have copious amounts of time and or money to work on one, then buy a pre 76 ready to go with all the upgrades completed. It will cost more for sure, but at least you will be able to drive it and enjoy it.

The tires, roll bar, racing seats, 4 row radiator, none of these is needed.

What you need is one with A/C and if you want the wife to enjoy it and drive it, one with an automatic as well, unless she's into manual transmissions. However consider the stop and go traffic that may be encountered in your area, very frustrating and tiring with a manual.

Even if you get one in excellent condition or better yet a restoration it's still gonna need work. This at least would be a better starting point for someone who is not yet intimately familiar with wrenching on a car.

If you want decent performance, compared to today's cars, then be sure to get one in which the engine has been reliably rebuilt with performance mods or one that has a good crate motor dropped in it. The 165 HP of the '75 is pretty dissapointing in comparison to what we have available today.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

As others have said some of what you have listed is not needed for a daily driver, some of it won't be needed unless you plan on it racing it. Best thing to do would be look for one in good condition and drive it for a while then decide what you want to do with it. You'll probably find that some of what is on you list now doesn't end up on that new list.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:47 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Sounds like you want a restomod.

If you get a 75 and older no smog as pointed out. If 76 and newer make sure it's 100% stock or at least a pre smogged CA car.

You can get CARB conversions. Say an LS1 from a Camaro transplanted into a 76 up but it has to be approved by CARB and have a barcode on the door for the smog tech to testing it from the year/make that the engine came from.

Last edited by ddawson; 04-12-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I'm going with post #2

Get notified of new replies

To How to prioritize upgrades (for a total noob)

Quick Reply: How to prioritize upgrades (for a total noob)