Sponsored by:

73 T-Top 7000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:38 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Again, I am no expert, but looking at the undercarriage photo, it appears those BFG's have some decent tread wear. I'm not sure how deep the tread is on a new set but the front tires do appear to have some mileage on them.
OCBum,
You are right in one respect about the wear on the front tires, however you could not get B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's on any Corvette back in 1973.
Undercoatings sprayed on at the dealers were spotty at best and can't be a reliable indicator in many cases.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

That is my point. With only 7000 original mile on the car the tires have been replace at some point and show signs of significant wear. I would check the manufacturer date on the tires, measure the tread depth and try to determine how many miles were put on these tires from the date of manufacture. It could help to determine how accurate the odometer reading is. Or it may not.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 04-22-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:00 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
That is my point. With only 7000 original mile on the car the tires have been replace at some point and show signs of significant wear. I would check the manufacturer date on the tires, measure the tread depth and try to determine how many miles were put on these tires from the date of manufacture. It could help to determine how accurate the odometer reading is. Or it may not.
Still not exact science. Radial T/A's have a tendency to dry rot inside the tread groves. I have replaced low mileage tires that were on a car that sat for years. Those old tires developed flat spots easily. I swapped tires between cars on many ocaisions and this seller being a dealer I would expect they would have many sets of good used tires on the racks.
I have faith that this car is true for the low miles. It has rusted parts just like it should be at that many miles, age and exposed to the normal atmospheric conditions.

Last edited by Z06LMB; 04-22-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 73 T-Top 7000 miles