C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to?: Remove cigarette lighter door and glove box door?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default How to?: Remove cigarette lighter door and glove box door?

More newb questions from me.

I'm insanely happy with the state of my interior excluding the mouse chew in my rear carpet, the cigarette lighter door (bad paint), and the inside of the glove box compartment (something ate through the door paint). -I'd like to remediate the last two items right now, but I'm not sure how to remove the cigarette lighter door, glove box, door, nor how to sand, prep, paint (and what paint to use) the cigarette lighter door and glove box interior door to make them look like they did from the factory.

Adam
Old 04-24-2017, 12:03 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Well, I found a great article that details removing and refinishing the glove box door including adjusting the door so it actually closes tight / properly:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cor...ette-glovebox/

I expected you'd have to remove the interior lining to get to the hinges, but the article covers pretty much everything. Using 320 grit sandpaper and wiping with Xylene thinner to prep the surface for Krylon semi-flat black prior to painting.

Figured I'd include the link and document the major points here. Now how to get the cigarette lighter door...??

Adam
Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Adam-

Next post you do put the year in so others can help you...

To remove the ash tray cover it's held in place by two pin rivets... they look like this. You have to push the ex pander out of the rivet from the inside which would be do-able with the shift console in place but very... very difficult to do. If it were me I'd remove the shifter console plate and then remove the rivets. Be careful not to break the arms off the ash tray door cover, it's pot metal and will snap off easy.

If you want to remove the shifter plate, use these instructions from the dash pad installation.. it covers it if you start on page. 3. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...stallation.pdf

-Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 04-26-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:53 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Adam-

Next post you do put the year in so others can help you...

To remove the ash tray cover it's held in place by two pin rivets... they look like this. You have to push the ex pander out of the rivet from the inside which would be do-able with the shift console in place but very... very difficult to do. If it were me I'd remove the shifter console plate and then remove the rivets. Be careful not to break the arms off the ash tray door cover, it's pot metal and will snap off easy.

If you want to remove the shifter plate, use these instructions from the dash pad installation.. it covers it if you start on page. 3. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...stallation.pdf

-Willcox

Sorry about that (again) -just updated my profile to reflect more information.

Seriously thanks a million. What I really need to get the confidence to do this stuff, is either great instructions or great diagrams like the ones you keep posting.

Adam
Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Update: I removed the kick plate carpet that runs around the console (both sides, obviously) and tried to tackle removing those evil expander rivets, but my patience ran out first so I just use a pair of wire cutters and cut the heads off of the dang things! -Satisfying, for sure. (It saved me time and hassle and made me feel better, so it was worth it!)

I'm hoping these little guys are cheap enough, but now I'm going to have a list 'O interior parts to order from Wilcox!

Adam
Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Good deal... if all you need is the rivets, call it into sales and they can send them USPS.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:30 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Umm... Wilcox: I can't find this part on your site; please tell me you sell the little rivets that I murdered last night??...

Adam
Old 05-12-2017, 05:28 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Umm... Wilcox: I can't find this part on your site; please tell me you sell the little rivets that I murdered last night??...

Adam
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ing-each-77-82

But.. call them in on Monday.. the site has an issue with items under 1 lb... so the shipping will kill you... If you call it in 812-288-7103, they can ship them usps.

Willcox
Old 05-12-2017, 05:39 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ing-each-77-82

But.. call them in on Monday.. the site has an issue with items under 1 lb... so the shipping will kill you... If you call it in 812-288-7103, they can ship them usps.

Willcox
I called in to find the item; I ordered like 7 or 8 items so shipping wasn't a big deal.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To How to?: Remove cigarette lighter door and glove box door?

Quick Reply: How to?: Remove cigarette lighter door and glove box door?