Sponsored by:

High speed blower on '72 won't run

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:57 PM
carjack007
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High speed blower on '72 won't run

History: I installed the extra ground wire to the blower last week and it ran much faster. The high speed quit working 2 days ago and I discovered the 3 way plug at the high speed relay was melted. I replaced the plug and still not working. I just replaced the relay and still not working. I have the following with blower switch on high:

1- power on blue
2- power on orange
3-no power on purple
4- jumping orange to purple blower runs

What am I missing?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Follow the power source backwards. The 10ga (red?) wire into the relay. Follow it back to see where it gets it's power. The other car lines (GM) used a fuse in that line, I don't think Chevrolet did. If it goes right to the bulkhead connector it may be the terminal in the connector is cooked. And it could be the switch= if it is not telling the relay to close, no hi speed.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:17 PM
carjack007
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
Follow the power source backwards. The 10ga (red?) wire into the relay. Follow it back to see where it gets it's power. The other car lines (GM) used a fuse in that line, I don't think Chevrolet did. If it goes right to the bulkhead connector it may be the terminal in the connector is cooked. And it could be the switch= if it is not telling the relay to close, no hi speed.
Thanks Tim,

There is an inline fuse there. The fuse is good. It looks like all that's left is the control switch in the console but I was thinking that power on the blue wire meant that the switch was doing it's job sending power the relay. I guess I'll order the control switch.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:22 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Check that fuse- it could be dead even if it looks good- And you are correct- if the control switch is telling the relay to close, it's all good to there. Back to power feed.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:57 AM
carjack007
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
Check that fuse- it could be dead even if it looks good- And you are correct- if the control switch is telling the relay to close, it's all good to there. Back to power feed.
All fuses are good... I'm not sure what is going on but I'm going to order a new control switch and then every component will have been replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To High speed blower on '72 won't run

Quick Reply: High speed blower on '72 won't run