Sponsored by:

1978 cb radio antenna help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM
j79z28
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1978 cb radio antenna help

I am attempting to rebuild the power CB antenna in my car. The motor runs fine. I was able to obtain a GM three section mast with coil. The motor draws in the chord about two feet and then stops. I have tried to raise and lower attempting to work the chord in but no luck. I was able to remove the old broken chord from the motor. If the new chord is not in the motor, she runs up and down with no issues. Any advice? Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

After you draw the 2' or so of cable into the motor you need to attach the mast tube to the motor.
Then extend the antenna all the way up, the pulley driving the cable will slip til the motor stops. Then run it down and it should retract all the way.
Run it up and down a couple times and it should be fine.

And sometimes the replacement cables are a bit long. With the mast installed in the mast tube and fully extended how much cable is left sticking out the bottom. Should be about 6" or so.

Last edited by KapsSA; 04-26-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 PM
j79z28
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. I will check the length of the chord when I get home. Also I was testing without the antenna mounted to the motor. I will do this as well tonight. Appreciate the response. I sent you a pm earlier this week. Take it easy. Jay.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:34 PM
j79z28
Intermediate

My son took some measurements of the chord. With the mast fully extended 3.5 niches of chord sticks out. Also, 13 inches of chord is being drawn into the motor before it stops. So it seems like the length is ok and not too long. I will try to test tonight and mount the antenna mast on the motor.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:46 AM
j79z28
Intermediate

Had time last night to run the antenna again. I mounted the mast tube, and it draws in 13 inches of cable and stops. run the cable up and it spits the cable out and runs until it shuts off on its own. I have manually fed the cable as well, using needle nose pliers to hold the pressure wheel back. I am stumped.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:04 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

With just the motor in hand run it till it shuts off in the UP mode.
Then with the cover off insert the cable manually past the pinch wheel a few inches.
Now run the motor down so it pulls in enough cable to attach the mast tube to the motor and stop. Attach the mast tube to the motor and continue to run it down.
Then run it up and down a few times.

Don't know how it can spit out the cable with the mast attached??
Are you sure you got all the old nylon cable out of the take up spool?
Are you dealing with your original antenna?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:33 PM
j79z28
Intermediate

Hi KapsSa. I would like to send you the cable to adjust. How much would you charge me? Can you call my cell from the PM I sent you earlier? Thanks!
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 PM
j79z28
Intermediate

Hi Kaps, I have done what you recommended and the motor will not pull the chord all they way in. I did remove a 3 inch broken piece from the motor before I began. I was able to remove this without disassembly of the motor. Maybe there is another piece in there stopping the chord from fully being wound like you said. I my prior post the chord was being spit out with the mast removed. I was not clear on that.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:46 AM
j79z28
Intermediate

I just disassembled the motor assembly. No other broken pieces found from the original chord inside the housing. With the housing gutted, I can feed the cable in the same amount as when it was assembled, 13 inches, and no further. The GM Mast kit I bought is part # 22038592. Maybe the chord is too long my application? It does seem to be within tolerances of a previous post. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:07 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Did you first disassemble the motor now or did you have it opened up before.
Could you have jammed broken nylon cable into the takeup reel leaving no room for the new?
Tried calling you today, went to voicemail.

Like I asked before, is this the original antenna?
Is the cam the contact points ride on white or red?
Is the cable smooth or toothed?

Last edited by KapsSA; 04-29-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:16 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by j79z28
I did remove a 3 inch broken piece from the motor before I began. I was able to remove this without disassembly of the motor.
Just noticed this.
You definitely have old cable jammed up inside the takeup reel.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:56 PM
j79z28
Intermediate

I am just disassembling the motor now. The chord piece I removed was on the take up reel, and I was able to get it out without disassembly. I am disassembling now to look for another piece I may have missed. Unless there is something jammed past the hole where the chord goes into after the take up reel caches it? This is the original antenna motor. The mast assembly was broken when I bought the car and I am replacing that now. The cam is red. I got your voicemail too late for me to call you. I call you today. Thanks for taking the time to call. Jay

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 cb radio antenna help

Quick Reply: 1978 cb radio antenna help