Sponsored by:

Pulling to one side when braking. Caliper leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 PM
dave1234
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Pulling to one side when braking. Caliper leaking

I have a 72 vert. It been pulling to the right when braking. I notice the car is fine when it's cold. After about 10 mins it starts pulling.
I have lifted the left wheel up and spun it and had my son press the brake pedal. The wheel stops spinning. Seems fine.
I took the caliper off the rotor and cleaned the pin on top, the backs of the pads and any grease thinking something may need to be cleaned and regreased.
When I push the pistons back in a little fluid will leak out of them. Does this mean I've broken the seal?
I sucked out the silt in the bottom of the master reservoir.
...made sure the fluid didn't get down too low

I just had the entire brake system redone 2yrs/2,000 mi ago. I would take it back to the shop but the guy got mad at me for bringing my car back a few times because the steering and rear end were leaking and I kept bringing it back. So going back to them isn't really an option.

Main question: should I get a new caliper?
Thanks
Dave
Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,314 Posts

If you have a caliper that's leaking, then you either need to replace it, or replace the seals.

Was there brake fluid on the rotor or pads, when you removed the caliper, and/or is there brake fluid on the back side of the tire? If the rotor was dry, and the tire is, then your problem may lie elsewhere. Where the brake hoses replaced, when the brakes were done two years ago? If not, you may have a bad hose, that's collapsing under pressure, causing one caliper to get more pressure than the other.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 PM
dave1234
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62
If you have a caliper that's leaking, then you either need to replace it, or replace the seals.

Was there brake fluid on the rotor or pads, when you removed the caliper, and/or is there brake fluid on the back side of the tire? If the rotor was dry, and the tire is, then your problem may lie elsewhere. Where the brake hoses replaced, when the brakes were done two years ago? If not, you may have a bad hose, that's collapsing under pressure, causing one caliper to get more pressure than the other.
No brake fluid anywhere before I took it apart. Yes break hoses and hard lines were done 2 yrs ago. Braided Stainless hoses
Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I just went through this with my 79. I wound up just replacing the caliper with one from NAPA, lifetime warranty. I also replaced brake hoses and put new pads on. I first tried to replace the seals on my existing caliper, and that was a colossal failure. Not sure what I did wrong, but decided to bite the bullet and pony up for another caliper.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:23 AM
dave1234
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbvette62

Got a new caliper at autozone. It's a rebuilt factory one for 68 bucks. Lifetime warranty. Hopefully this gets things working properly again.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

"When I push the pistons back in a little fluid will leak out of them."

Yes, you have a bad seal and will likely need to rebuild or replace the caliper. Sometimes you can get them to reseal but it won't last long.

Leaking calipers is an Achilles heel for the C3, especially if it sits for long periods. How is your brake fluid level? If it's dropping you have a leak. The car will pull to the side that is not leaking as the brakes are not grabbing evenly.

I second the Autozone route. I bought new calipers for my 82 over fifteen years ago...can't beat lifetime warranty; buy 'em once! I also have the counter guy pull several boxes, I look through them until I find the one with markings (Delco Moraine), etc that match.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:03 AM
dave1234
Instructor

It ended up being that it needed to be bled.

The caliper wasnt leaking until I started taking stuff apart and trying to figure out of these old school calpiers function.
I determined this because the pads werent all eaten up like other photos I saw online of other peoples C3's with leaking calipers.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:51 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by dave1234
I have a 72 vert. It been pulling to the right when braking. I notice the car is fine when it's cold. After about 10 mins it starts pulling.

Pulling to 1 side can be a number of things.

As the brake pad temps warm up they start to build the proper friction required to work correctly. Once they are up to temp the following may cause pulling to 1 side.

1. less friction between pad and rotor on 1 side. (possible contamination on pad or rotor) Sand the rotor to remove any deposits.

2. brake pad bedding procedure was not done. or the brake bleeding had air in 1 side during bedding of the pads.

3. You have worn steering / suspension parts and something is changing the alignment under braking.

4. You still have air in the system on 1 side and require bleeding.

5. Your rotor run-out is high on 1 side which will pump air into the caliper and over time produce the same effect. re-bleeding the brake will correct this for awhile.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 05-28-2017 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 05:30 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TONE82
"When I push the pistons back in a little fluid will leak out of them."

Yes, you have a bad seal and will likely need to rebuild or replace the caliper. Sometimes you can get them to reseal but it won't last long.

Leaking calipers is an Achilles heel for the C3, especially if it sits for long periods. How is your brake fluid level? If it's dropping you have a leak. The car will pull to the side that is not leaking as the brakes are not grabbing evenly.

I second the Autozone route. I bought new calipers for my 82 over fifteen years ago...can't beat lifetime warranty; buy 'em once! I also have the counter guy pull several boxes, I look through them until I find the one with markings (Delco Moraine), etc that match.
same for me .no shipping charges.can get a replacement in a day or less.

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling to one side when braking. Caliper leaking

Quick Reply: Pulling to one side when braking. Caliper leaking