C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Corvette as a first car?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:34 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

If you plan on getting a 40 year old car as a daily driver look for one with higher mileage, but still good condition. many parts will fail or wear out due to age not mileage. Since it sounds like money isn't really a problem you might consider a cheap 2nd car as a backup or when you need something more practical. You will always find help on here when something goes wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 02:35 AM
Gwaato
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18 and a C3? That is Awesome! I think you will find more "lady friends" than I did when I was 18 with a 1972 Gremlin!
Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:20 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Only you know you.

I would do it and I would have had my two boys get one as well.

While not as old they drove a 1984 Mustang, 5 speed with Holley carburetor. All stock.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:07 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Do it. You will quickly learn to wrench on your car, especially if you have family members who work on cars. Absolutely, worst case scenario, you'll get to love Corvettes so much, you'll wind up buying more over your lifetime.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 05-02-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by M4A3E2
...I mean the Volvo is a bloody tank...
So is an M4A3E2 for that matter.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

buy it, have fun with it, don't regret it. who cares what MIGHT BE or WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN. Oh boo hoo here comes North Korea!!! Buy it, enjoy it and learn about cars. It will be easier to fix and understand how it works than anything with 50 sensors and 5 computers. I never met anyone that said" I wish I didn't so that and have all those great memories and experiences" Its 76 with an automatic. No more a race car than a honda or a toyota. Don't get me wrong, a new fuel injected car can get off the line quick and accelerate fast. My point is you can kill yourself in anything at anytime, just don't be a knucklehead

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-02-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:48 AM
M4A3E2
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
So is an M4A3E2 for that matter.
M4A3E2 best tank 1944
Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 AM
drmonstaa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 76 as well as my first car, for quite a lot less money and a whole lot more miles. My input would be to go with a less expensive, more driven, maybe not 100% numbers matching car if you're going to go ahead with it.
There are always going to be people saying it's not a good idea to get a vette as a first car, as that is the input i received. My dad wanted me to get an old bmw lol. However I decided to be stubborn and went out and bought my vette and I have zero regrets to this day.
Are they a pain to work on? yes. Will they end up costing more than a comparable performance modern car? yes. However the memories and wisdom I've gained from getting that car are irreplaceable, and i would have never had similar memories with a modern no-maintenance car.
At the end of the day it is up to you. Are you willing to go against most people's definition of common sense and create more work for yourself? Are the sacrifices worth the memories and wisdom of having a corvette as your first car? For myself, I said yes and I don't regret it.

Might i also add that after I did buy my C3, i received nothing but praise

Last edited by drmonstaa; 05-02-2017 at 09:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by drmonstaa:
Metalhead140 (05-02-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 AM
M4A3E2
Racer

I still have time to think this over, but between what you guys are saying, and how I personally feel about this, I feel like in soon time I will be making a post about my new Corvette.
The following 3 users liked this post by M4A3E2:
jr73 (05-02-2017), Metalhead140 (05-02-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I hope you get it. Theres plenty of guys here that are the original owners and still have their first vette. The cost will actually be less than a new car, price the computers and catalytic converters, sensors and stuff like that. The older corvettes are very basic and most parts that wear out like ball joints, starters, tie rod ends, water pumps etc arent any more expensive than anything you need for a resonable car unless you get a volvo, mercedes, bmw, audi or vw. Then you'll be paying alot more no.matter the age of the vehicle. Its only expensive if you buy certain "correct number" parts. In the long run its alot cheaper than any new car. I spent less getting my 68 running than it did my 04 subaru. The only expense I'm having now is modifications, which isnt maintenance, its mods
The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
Old 05-02-2017, 11:59 AM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 496 Posts

Another OL'MAN and father, comment,,,, Pass on the Vette for now, especially at $16k, any other dime you spend on it will never help it's value, I got my 1968 427 roadster when was 20yrs old, it was a money pit then, ( i'm almost 60 now ) If you really need to have a Vette, i have seen many better deals on C3, most for 1/4 of that price, {{ picked up two in the last 6 months }} and would drive circles around most others, and don't look any worse than the one your lookin' at,,,,,,,$16,000 REALLY? You should be able to buy two good ones at that price, But that's my old man opinion, If you have that much cash in your pocked to put on your first car, find a better car, and please don't finance the car, save for a cash deal,,, Enjoy your first car!!!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Forget about all this crap about any type of investment value, or buying a higher time (i.e. more worn out) Corvette. The purpose of my Corvette has nothing do to with investment, and all to do with how it makes my life better. If all you care about in life is money, safety, and fear, then it will be quite a boring life. All this input from old scared guys (I am an old guy) and their recommendations to put it off to later is just one type of personality....theirs. You need to decide what kind of personality you are, what makes you happy, and all the things this car can bring into your life. I think it is really cool that a young person like yourself is thinking about something like this.......you are a rare one in this time. Most 18 year olds today are weak crybabies, looking for another name or diagnosis to label themselves after so they can join the others in their poor victimized life. They remind me of an old phrase you may not have heard.....My ***** hurts.

As others have said, this is no modern car...meaning it may take some attention, but its as simple as a car gets. I have made mine even simpler than GM built it by removing all the unnecessary bling garbage that you don't need. It will teach you how to think, it will teach you how to use your hands, and it should make you proud of what you did. It can provide a platform / foundation in your life to actually do something useful. A Prius or a Smart Car doesn't do that.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 05-02-2017 at 12:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Torqued Off:
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Forget about all this crap about any type of investment value, or buying a higher time (i.e. more worn out) Corvette. The purpose of my Corvette has nothing do to with investment, and all to do with how it makes my life better. If all you care about in life is money, safety, and fear, then it will be quite a boring life. All this input from old scared guys (I am an old guy) and their recommendations to put it off to later is just one type of personality....theirs. You need to decide what kind of personality you are, what makes you happy, and all the things this car can bring into your life. I think it is really cool that a young person like yourself is thinking about something like this.......you are a rare one in this time. Most 18 year olds today are weak crybabies, looking for another name or diagnosis to label themselves after so they can join the others in their poor victimized life. They remind me of an old phrase you may not have heard.....My ***** hurts.

As others have said, this is no modern car...meaning it may take some attention, but its as simple as a car gets. I have made mine even simpler than GM built it by removing all the unnecessary bling garbage that you don't need. It will teach you how to think, it will teach you how to use your hands, and it should make you proud of what you did. It can provide a platform / foundation in your life to actually do something useful. A Prius or a Smart Car doesn't do that.
I enjoy taking risks. I've made some good investment decisions growing up, and l love classic cars like this. One thing I think I got from my uncle is a distaste for modern cars (I think a lot of them look like eggs) The whole millennial thing is honestly kind of depressing. A lot of my "friends" (really just acquaintances) can be very entitled and love finding ways to make themselves the victim. I feel as though I can handle a car like this, and the one I found personally is just beautiful. Again, I'm taking big consideration into this, but if the old man reads through everything and decides it's fine, so it shall be. Or I'll just rebel against him

Also, I've never understood the stigma with Corvettes and them being "old peoples" cars. I just think they're so sleek looking, they look like some fighter jet, like an F-86. Nothing really screams "old man" to me about these cars.

Last edited by M4A3E2; 05-02-2017 at 12:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by M4A3E2:
Metalhead140 (05-02-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017), Torqued Off (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Come on guys! I've read numerous post on this forum bemoaning that young guys aren't getting in the hobby. One shows up and is told to get a Carolla. Give me a break! If he's an idiot, he'll get killed in a Yota as easy as a Vette. He's got an uncle with old Vette experience, he says he'll only drive two or three times a week, he says he has the money, and he wants in the hobby. Get on in here son! Understand it will not go as planned. Check insurance rates. Those of us over 60 were not driving Yota's at 18. We had Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and Vettes. Big old V8s.
The following 3 users liked this post by mortgageguy:
Metalhead140 (05-02-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017), Torqued Off (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:26 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone

I'm sorry, I think i might have said something offensive to some in my reply,, I was just trying to give this young man what he asked for, a opinion from others on this site, This is his decision, along with his Dad , and i think with the time he is taking to ponder all of the options before him, he will make the right one for him and all involved with him, , , , I wish you the best in your car choice, ..but I also think a Prius or Smart could also -" provide a platform / foundation in your life to actually do something useful "
Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Money most certainly isn't an issue. I don't actually have to worry about insurance and the sort, it's just I've been raised to be more frugal so I think about stuff like that.
Well if money is no object , go for it ! But at 18 most guys think they are indestructible and I hope you are one of the 18 year olds that know that these cars can surprise an inexperienced driver and can kill you if you don't drive it like a Volvo . Not trying to preach just want you to be aware . Don't like to see a young driver start out with a high performance car . Lost a brother that way !
Old 05-02-2017, 02:01 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by bj1k
Well if money is no object , go for it ! But at 18 most guys think they are indestructible and I hope you are one of the 18 year olds that know that these cars can surprise an inexperienced driver and can kill you if you don't drive it like a Volvo . Not trying to preach just want you to be aware . Don't like to see a young driver start out with a high performance car . Lost a brother that way !
I plan to be a safe driver with this car. As "lame" as it might sound (especially for someone who wants a sportscar like this) I'm not one for the super high speeds, more just cruising around.

Last edited by M4A3E2; 05-02-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Corvette as a first car?

Old 05-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

76 vette as a first car not a huge concern for the age of you and inexperience concern. A lot of newer Honda s have as much horsepower.
The only thing is as a daily driver you will have to wrench on the car. It is not a question of if you can but a question of will you be willing to do it on a regular basis. If you find a dependable daily driver then having the vette also would be a fine idea.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:48 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Buy it...Drive it...Sell it when your ready. It's not a marriage--its just a car! I must of had a half a dozen between the ages of 16 and 24.
Now I wish I still had the most of them but that's another story.
Rescue Rogers (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I still have time to think this over, but between what you guys are saying, and how I personally feel about this, I feel like in soon time I will be making a post about my new Corvette.
I sure hope so! I wish I could turn back time and have a 'Vette at 18 instead of a mini truck! Still had to work on it, but oh well, it built character. You sound level headed and responsible, go for it. I'd get a '72 or older though, if I had the cash, even if it's not in as nice shape. Or a '74, my favorite "rubber" 'Vettes.

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 05-02-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 Corvette as a first car?