Sponsored by:

BBC vs SBC are there any differences in

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 AM
72 Project
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default BBC vs SBC are there any differences in

BBC vs SBC are there any differences in the power steering components. I have seen a couple of references to BBC and SBC but do not remember where. I plan on using a Borgeson if that makes any difference. I have power steering units from both BBC and SBC cars but do not see a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim
Old 05-02-2017, 06:56 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jim,
As far as I know there's no difference in the power steering parts/hardware for a bb or sb equipped car.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-02-2017 at 06:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

The difference between a stock small block power steering set up, and a big block one, is the pressure hose, pump brackets, pump pulley and crank pulley. The pump, steering box, slave cylinder and control valve are all the same.

Small blocks used a single groove pump pulley, while all big blocks used a double groove pump pulley. On big blocks with power steering, the alternator is driven off of the power steering pump, not the water pump and crank pulleys. On small blocks the pump is driven off of just the crank, and most small blocks use a separate add-on crank pulley, to drive the pump.

The big block PS pressure hose is different than the small block one. The other three hoses are the same.

The brackets used to mount the pump, are completely different for the big block verse the small block.

If you're adding power steering to a small block car that did not have PS, and using a Borgeson box, you will need the small block pump brackets, correct small block pump pulley, and probably the add-on crank pulley. Note that base and low horse small blocks used a stamped steel pulley, while high horse engines used a cast iron one.

Adding power steering to a big block will only require the big block brackets and two groove pulley.

You also have to be careful about which pump you get. 63-74 pumps have a keyway shaft, 75-82 pumps use a press-on shaft. You need the correct pulley to match the shaft type your pump has. If you have a big block, you have to use the 63-74 pump, because the big block pulley is only available with a keyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by gbvette62:
72 Project (05-02-2017), Metalhead140 (05-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To BBC vs SBC are there any differences in

Quick Reply: BBC vs SBC are there any differences in