C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did Bubba do to YOUR C3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:22 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Default What did Bubba do to YOUR C3?

I thought it might be interesting to see what Bubba has been up to while "working" on other member's Corvettes. Show us what ridiculous fixes this dimwit has attempted on your precious ride.

I'll start.

Yesterday, I found out he's been messing around with the seat belts on my '69, and I want to kick his a$$! We're talking about a major safety violation, here.

I'm looking into adding shoulder belts to my car, and decided to pull the seats to see what needs fixing/replacing/upgrading.

Thank God I did. This is what I found.

Nearest I can figure, one of the previous owners was a little portly and needed to extend the lap belt. So, the lap belt is bolted to an extender belt, which is bolted to a piece of sheet metal , which is then bolted to the floor mount. And that's not even the best part!!! The bolt to the floor mount is the wrong size and I was able to pull it out! It was just sitting in there!

Bubba needs an a$$ whooping.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 12:34 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Both mike and tommy competed for the crown on my 69 but i guess in the end, doing damage isnt the same thing as doing a **** poor half assed hack job job,

So mike takes the gold, he used pieces of random bondo off the shop floor to rebuild my dog legs from memory, what a mess, thankfully im running flares...
Old 05-06-2017, 01:23 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Bubba cut a section out of my left rear hub, using a plasma cutter from what it looked like. not sure what it was for as nothing behind the hub had been replaced.

Name:  20140116_185454.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  2.63 MB

In addition to this i found the wiring to one of the lights had been repaired incorrectly. (the method of repair was fine, but it was now wired so it could't come on at all)
There was also other hot wires for various things he'd removed that could have contacted grounded metal very easily.
When the headers were installed the O2 sensor was removed and never replaced. The carb was then tuned so the car would run fine but none of the vacuum leaks were fixed.
There's more things but these are the most serious.
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:04 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Antz81
Bubba cut a section out of my left rear hub, using a plasma cutter from what it looked like.
That`s the most interesting way I`ve ever seen to remove the rivets from the hub!!
On our 71... the wrong exhaust manifold was on the left side, so there was no mounting point for the alternator. Instead, a piece of bar stock was welded to one of the other brackets to extend it.
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:13 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Mismatched half shafts and strut rods left to right. I think my car experienced a catastrophic half shaft failure and everything was replaced with newer larger diameter parts.

6" harmonic balancer with an 8" timing cover.
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Leaking heater hose, no big deal, buy replacement hoses and put them on. Easy they said. Someone put worm clamps on the heater core pipes. Pain to get in the tight space to loosen them up. Noticed the 5/8 leaker was extremely tight. This is why, 1 hour job into a major dissassembly and the while I am there thoughts! Fortunately this car is pretty much unmolested for an 80. Any thoughts on best or factory hose clamps and where to buy?
Attached Images   
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

nice ones, lets see if i can remember all of them. Bubba used speaker wire from the alternator as a straight hot lead to the wiper motor, wired it into one of the grounds, pulled the pump connection parts out of it, then re wired the switch to sswitch positive power. All of it was fried and had to but a new one

. He bought a brand new acuator can and bent the hell out of the arm, had to buy a new one. To get the wiper arms to align he had to strip the threaded adjustments and crank the hell out of them past the adjustment stops, had to buy new ones

. He put a new inside wiring harness in the dash, thank you. But cut all the original wiring and left some there which was confusing until I pulled the dash off to fix bulbs. He didn't connect the grounds, put sockets in wrong holes, and didn't put in all the bulbs, so when I put on my high beams my right turn signal indicator came on and when I put on either signal there was a week flash behind the cluster, some sockets were empty. When I went to replace bulbs in the guage console I found he cut the back off to out in a voltage meter, that he held in place with seat foam and duct tape. replaced everythinig with used parts and Had to buy a used one.

After all the bulbs were replaced I tried to fix the stereo. He used a regular nut instead of the super thin ones that go over the ***** stalks to retain it. Of course it was the wrong thread pitch so he got a bigger wrench and just kept turning it until it got tight. Well it was an after market stereo that had the fake old school face and the digital one that lit up behind it, the ***** are just quarter turn electronic ***** but after his work they went completely around because he had twisted the stalk internally and it ripped the mother board all to hell and broke all the internals. Had to buy a new one.

So I dropped the steering wheel to get at the dash and deciced to look at the horn parts, Buba took parts from I don't know what and just poured them in the column to get that to work occasionally, what a mess. 3 prings, some long round bars, it was just a mess. I threw it all away and I had to buy a new one.

Well i had to pull the seat s and the interior since I was under the dash and noticed Bubba didn't have the right screws so he used wood screws, sheet rock screws and some machine screws to hold the dash and doors on, but my favorite was the 2 inch long lag bolts he put through the seat backs to hold them onto the eat frames. Lags bolts are usually galvanized and have a giant bolt head to lag 2 boards together or boards to cement, but he need to use them to hold on the heavy, peasky seat backs and as a substitute seat hinge bolt. So i had to buy new ones

My shifter was hitting the center console in reverse, first and third. Its a hurst with the slilght s bend. He of course put it in backwards, sll it took was taking off the shift covers and the retaining bolt, flipping it around and tightening wvwwrything. But since he was Bubba he just kept mashing the console until it was all dented to hell and beat up, so what did I have to do.......I pulled it apart andfixed it. I sanded and massaged it back to a decent looking shape, and gave it some paint, I didn't have to buy a new one, finally.

Onto the soft top. weirdest looking bunch of weatherstripping i have ever seen, I though it was just torn up. Bubba put the canvass on himself, used a hole box of staples to prove it, he just didnt bother to look and see if it was centered, and didnt bother to adjust the frame before he put it on, so the top is on the frmae crooke and the glass gaps are huge, hence the extra weather stripping on top off weatherstripping to fill it in. I pulled all that crap off, put on the hardtop i bought and readjusted the glass. Then put the soft top back up and readjusted it, its servicable, but windy and the plastic window is wrinkled and coming apart so, I have to buy a new one.

While I was putting the tops up and down I notice the rear deck was apain to operate, Bubba wen tot eh hardware store and bought some lawn mower cable since it looks likethe origianl adn wired it in, but when he got to the mechanisms he wwrapped it around and made some sort of knots so it would operate. Had to buy a new one.

well, When I go thte car the rear tires had a decent apunt of tread and the fall was warm so I drove it almost every afternoon before dark that i couuld and every weekend. In that month the rear tires were bald. I didn't even get a chance to do any burn outs but the rear quarters were covered with soot. I thought i was burning oil until I wiped it off, rubber filings. I also noticed that if I hit a bump the car would jump a foot to the left. kind f scary. I did my reasearch and it needed a rear end alignment I bought the tools and new 68 shims cause I was gonna do it right, and he had the 69 and later slotted ones that almost fell out. Once i got started I decide to reuse the 69 ones since iw as doing so much adjusting, well bubba had the shims equal on the left and right side of the caar, all on the outside of the arms. The arms were 1.25 inches towed in. my rear end was so pigeon toed it was fighting itself. So i straightend it out and went to the tire store, cause...... , sing with me......., I HAD TO BUY NEW ONES!!!!!!!

All in all, all that he screwed up was repairable and kept the cars total cost under the appraised value so i didn't get upside down with that. But now I'm adding stuff I want, but thats a different story

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-06-2017 at 09:44 AM.
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 AM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 583 Likes on 384 Posts

Maybe the question should be "what did Bubba NOT due to your car?"

One of the many creative Bubba moments!

Dave
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.

Originally Posted by oldgto
That`s the most interesting way I`ve ever seen to remove the rivets from the hub!!
It was quick and efficient though! Lol.

Originally Posted by jim2527
6" harmonic balancer with an 8" timing cover.
"The computer says it should fit"
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Tewski
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'23-'24

At least you had a bolt . Mine was held in With two zip ties, I'm sure it would of held

The following 2 users liked this post by Tewski:
EarlyC34me (05-07-2017), MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:36 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tewski
At least you had a bolt . Mine was held in With two zip ties, I'm sure it would of held

Bubba: "I'm not sure one is going to hold. Better put a 'nuther one on there".
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:44 AM
MISTERZ06
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

A W E S O M E "BUBBA" Stories

thank You all 4-sharing
makes for some good laughs
........................................ ........................... tom
Old 05-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

wow some good ones there, here's a few i found over the last 2 years.

wrong rear strut on passenger side,
wrong rear spring, 2.5" instead of a 2.25", made the car look like it had hi-jacker air shocks on the back..
wrong "off set" aluminum wheels - the rear calipers had dug a groove in the inside wheel edge's about an 1/8" deep.
numerous randomly cut wires that were never capped or properly stowed- just rolled into a ball and shoved were ever it was convenient?
wire connections made by twisting the ends and wrapping with electrical tape or sometimes an over sized wire nut?
all the brake line's had to be replaced because they rounded off all the nut shoulders with vise grips when bleeding them?
front drivers side spindle had no threads left, bubba just slid the nut on and the whole set up was held on with the cotter pin. I pulled the pin and the nut literally fell off the spindle.

I am in the home stretch now to hopefully fireing the car up but I am sure I will find more short cuts before I am done.
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 10:05 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts

When I started to disassemble the dash I immediately thought ugh, oh what else am I going to find ?

Masking tape ?
But so far I've been lucky with the rebuild, nothing to outrageous yet. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
MISTERZ06 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 10:05 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I laughed all the way through Rescue R's story but it wasn't Bubba that did that. It was Bubba's father. He taught Bubba everything he knows.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:39 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

The zip ties above likely takes the cake...

Here's what Bubba did to mine if I can remember them:

1) Decided to remove all the emissions hoses and wire open the heat riser with a coat hanger. For a while I didn't know what the heck all the open hoses went to and what in the world the coat hanger was for. Thanks to this forum I was able to figure it out. He literally just whacked crap off and left it vs. disconnecting from the vacuum canister. Also was nice enough to break off the nubs on the TVS switch and whatnot. Thanks Bubba. Vacuum leaks everywhere vs. doing it properly. Engine used to run rough as heck. Also used to flood about 75% of the times I'd fill up at a gas station, talk about a rough situation. Could have been the way the carb had to be adjusted was way too rich in order to support what he did without it always dying. Who knows what the issue was. Literally my wife hates the car because she's always worried we'll get stuck somewhere if we drive it. That is until yesterday when I replaced all the hoses, the switch, and adjusted the carb after. She runs like butter now. Filled her up w/ no problems too. Night and day difference.

2) 3 Zip ties holding the horn pieces together. Oh and who needs a horn since the zip ties kept causing the horn to sound... so lets just toss the actuator.

3) Screws stripped? Well how about a bigger screw? Why not. Door arm rest/handles don't stay on. Fixed the passenger side, but need to fix the drivers. He did that to my transmission too the freaking jack wagon. So I have 2 bolts that are f'd and it's leaked forever. I'm about to fix them, it's close on my list.

4) A/C robbing you of power? No problem, just cut some wires to the compressor so you don't accidentally turn it on in the car.

5) Bubba jacked around with my hub too. Basically was about to lose the wheel. Can't remember exactly what he did since it's been about 12 years since I had that fixed. Had to buy a new hub and bearings replaced while I was there.

I've got more I'm sure, but can't remember them all.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Tewski
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ
Bubba: "I'm not sure one is going to hold. Better put a 'nuther one on there".
That was the exact same thing I said when I saw it

Get notified of new replies

To What did Bubba do to YOUR C3?

Old 05-06-2017, 11:17 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Bubba did forget to connect the Shift control cable, yikes.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:18 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

As our one and only Alan say's, God looks out for Bubba too.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

I am a firm believer that Bubba will survive whatever catastrophe shall come his way. Or the proverbial when sh*t hits the fan!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What did Bubba do to YOUR C3?