Another chrome bumper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 10:09 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
Yes, that bolt on conversion looks so good on these rubber bumper cars!
DittOh!

Old 01-30-2018, 02:31 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice work MK!

I'm enjoying reading the thread. I'm a big fan of modding cars.

I know you're not thinking of deleting the side markers but, is it just me or does anyone else feel the side markers on a vette were put there by a blind man? They don't line up with anything and they're too close to the bumpers.

Anyhow I deleted mine on my '71

Looking forward to your updates
Old 01-30-2018, 02:19 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by aaroncorvette
Nice work MK!

I know you're not thinking of deleting the side markers but, is it just me or does anyone else feel the side markers on a vette were put there by a blind man? They don't line up with anything and they're too close to the bumpers.

Super sweet,

About side markers on c3s , not only do i agree that many times such things do just look slapped on wherever at the last minute,

But Why use a mix of square or rectangle markers on a car with round head and tail lights, where's the styling flow in that,

My 69 did have a modded 73 to 79 nose with things like side markers filled, front grill fixed and bumper cap glassed in for a seamless look,
Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by aaroncorvette
Nice work MK!

Looks like you added '69 gills too.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:41 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Super sweet,

About side markers on c3s , not only do i agree that many times such things do just look slapped on wherever at the last minute,

But Why use a mix of square or rectangle markers on a car with round head and tail lights, where's the styling flow in that,

My 69 did have a modded 73 to 79 nose with things like side markers filled, front grill fixed and bumper cap glassed in for a seamless look,
Thanks, i'm really pleased with how she turned out.

I couldn't agree more, they're ugly after thoughts. It's funny we just accept things as they are, it's not til you really look at cars that you notice things that you can delete/improve.

I basically looked at all the c3's and took the best bits I could find, painted a few chrome bits and deleted a few bits.

The car is half mine and half Dad's so we compromised between us, he loves '69's (who doesn't), but I prefer the flared arches on the '70- cars as it hides the tyre and gives a meaner more planted look to the car.

Most people think it's a '69, even most vette guys, the vette guys who clock the arches know something isn't right though.

Last edited by aaroncorvette; 01-31-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Looks like you added '69 gills too.
And front end with a homemade spoiler

Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by george2066
only found the facebook page
Is there an actual website?
Thanks
No website, just the facebook page.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:28 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Very nice Aaroncorvette. Stance, as cast wheels, pipes. Tough and purposeful. I bet it gets its fair share of attention.
And yeah, my side lights will remain. I will also keep the tail in the straight bolt-on configuration. One side of me wants to go fully molded but the reality is that the mods I have made to the car can easily be reverted back to stock.
The car is after all, is a matching numbers '75 roadster in a nice color combo, and one of only 270 imported into Canada. So when it comes time to sell I feel I will have a wider audience to sell to. That means the car can be sold as it is, a modified custom or, in a short amount of time, closer to stock with factory style bumpers, restored ride height and rally wheels.
While I have no designs to sell my Vette right now, I have no idea what the future holds and if I do sell it will be at a fair price and to the larger market that a near stock car affords
Old 02-02-2018, 05:33 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mkdesign
Very nice Aaroncorvette. Stance, as cast wheels, pipes. Tough and purposeful. I bet it gets its fair share of attention.
And yeah, my side lights will remain. I will also keep the tail in the straight bolt-on configuration. One side of me wants to go fully molded but the reality is that the mods I have made to the car can easily be reverted back to stock.
The car is after all, is a matching numbers '75 roadster in a nice color combo, and one of only 270 imported into Canada. So when it comes time to sell I feel I will have a wider audience to sell to. That means the car can be sold as it is, a modified custom or, in a short amount of time, closer to stock with factory style bumpers, restored ride height and rally wheels.
While I have no designs to sell my Vette right now, I have no idea what the future holds and if I do sell it will be at a fair price and to the larger market that a near stock car affords
Thanks, sorry for the highjack. I really like the colour of your car, the whole thing looks great. I think what you're doing enhances the value to certain people in the same way I have.
In the Uk people aren't as bothered about the matching numbers thing as they are in the States, kind of as long as it has a BBC/SBC that's good enough (unless it's something rare). Funny I didn't even look at the engine or vin number when I bought the car, most people don't here.
What's going to happen with your front end? I bet you get a few people scratching their heads looking at your car wondering what year it is
The 'vert top shape looks great on your vette, funny they were cheaper new, although they're more expensive than a coupe now.

Last edited by aaroncorvette; 02-02-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:01 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

"The fastest Rear Bumper Conversion in the West ....errrr....North"

Old 02-02-2018, 05:05 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default how much?

Originally Posted by Priya
No website, just the facebook page.
what is the price?
Old 02-02-2018, 11:19 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by george2066
what is the price?
That I can't tell you, you'll have to contact them.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:21 PM
george2066
Instructor

Default this works

Originally Posted by bj1k
i don't get how it's a chrome bumper conversion if the bumpers are painted and not chrome . After all isn't it the chrome look that you are after ?

Name:  18AZ-Ridetech-48Hour-1972-Corvette-2387-e1512326511919.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  31152-MMS-1500767880000-attachment1-FB95IMG951500693208158-e1512326704340.jpg
Views: 3306
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 PM
george2066
Instructor

Default or chrome them, this is from lars

Plastic "chrome" plating is not actually chrome. It's a heated vacuum adhesive-backed mylar deposition that requires some very specialized equipment that looks like vacuum-forming equipment (it's known as "vacuum chrome metalizing"). Most real chrome shops don't do the vacuum deposited mylar sheet process, since it has nothing to do with "real" chrome plating. Likewise, places that do the vacuum chrome metalizing process don't do "real" chrome on steel parts. I'd be interested to hear if Paul's has diversified into that type of processing. These places do the process, but I don't know anything about them:

http://www.mmmetalizing.com/services.html

http://www.gcartrim.com/

Lars
Last edited by lars; 02-02-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:57 PM
1rad55
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wheels

Originally Posted by mkdesign
Thanks and I'm with you on how nice the rear conversion looks, especially considering that it is a true bolt on.
As for the front conversion, well, it's still the plan, but it is a little behind schedule because of the accident with my short, wide and low Dodge truck and a deer. But I have been thinking of trimming the bumper pads off my fiberglass front bumper and smoothing them off to simulate a 73 look until I'm ready for delivery of the front conversion.
For the next while though, the car will be on jackstands while I tend to its suspension needs.
Here are a couple of picks of the car with the recent addition of the 20" IROCs.
I like your new rims but I also liked your prior rims! What brand were the prior rims, size, backspacing ,etc. I'm trying to decide on what rims to run on my current 69 resto mod that I'm currently building.....please advise!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:20 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 496 Posts

Yes, bj1k, you are confused , lol, ya eather get it or ya don't, lol,
Old 02-05-2018, 01:04 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1rad55
I like your new rims but I also liked your prior rims! What brand were the prior rims, size, backspacing ,etc. I'm trying to decide on what rims to run on my current 69 resto mod that I'm currently building.....please advise!
The rims that were on the car were gray spoke Foose Nitrous model in 20x8 and 20x10 sizes. They were a positive offset rim originally mounted on a newer gen Mustang. I used billet 2" adaptors/spacers for use on my Vette. Truth is though that they were originally on my truck and I knew that they would be going back on the same truck when I found a tire and wheel combo for the Vette that I liked, but dang if they didn't look really good on the Vette!
But the truck needs these wheels (with a meatier tire combo) for it to be the truck I built so I picked up the 20" IROCs to use on the Vette for the interim. Once I get the black paint applied to the interior of the spokes they should actually look pretty good, similar in effect to a newer Z06 rim.
The pic of the truck is from the Goodguys show in Puyallup, Wa while another shot is with the old combo, with my buddies C2 closer to home and finally a test fit of the car with the IROCs.
So, while I do like the look of the car a bit more with the Foose wheels, I love the wheels back on the truck, so just a bit of a compromise for now.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
1rad55 (02-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Another chrome bumper conversion

Old 02-08-2018, 09:39 PM
scura283
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I also installed one of the … rear bumpers on my '75. Not at all
hard to do and I think it gives the car a much sportier look.[IMG]https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-
dscn0710_a2e2a7e77ba8477caa312f4fb4db135 a402c39ad.jpg

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 08-11-2019 at 05:39 PM. Reason: NSV
The following users liked this post:
blue67ragtop (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 AM
mkdesign
Instructor

Your car is beautiful, regardless of the tail, but yeah... it sure does change the look and add a certain level of aggressiveness from stock.
Some may notice or criticize the transition point of the rear body line but it has to go somewhere. As well, if I spent time body working the bumper at that point it would be remedied fairly easily. To that end, I employ the bumpers supplied with the conversion and it makes the transition areas almost unnoticeable. My personal preference is with bumpers, but running sans bumpers gives it an edgy, competition look. And again, a true bolt-on modification.
Your pics also illustrate how good the conversion looks on a nice Vette (yours as well as jkippins coupe with completely molded pieces) versus my... um...well-worn example!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:31 PM
scura283
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the compliment.
When I installed the kit, the car was equipped with chrome YJ8 wheels and I fully intended to send the bumpers out to be chromed. After I installed the 17" Superlite wheels and Firehawks, their more aggressive looks made me reconsider. I agree with you that the transition is a bit awkward but it doesn't bother me at all. BTW you car looks great, what cool patina and racey looks.

Quick Reply: Another chrome bumper conversion