C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 AM
tjmaniez
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As many have said, 12k will get you a nice mid 70's vette. Don't let someone tell you that they should cost 20k unless it is absolutely immaculate. There were lots of these made but the problem you see is people running them into the ground then trying to sell them. Check the frame and bird cage for lots of rust. A little surface rust is fine but if a tap with a piece of metal or a hammer punches through it...run away. I would also consider your yearly budget. If you aren't wanting to put money towards it every year then I would leave a few 1000 for the random problems that could pop up. Even for 10k you can get a nice vette. Plus, even if you buy it and say this is exactly what you want...after reading these forums you will find cool things you will want to add; it is inevitable

Last thing, buy the one that has the paint job you want. A new paint job on this car alone will run you 6k to 10k (or more). So that is the one piece you will want to your liking.

Go for it!!! You won't regret it. These are easy cars to mess with (especially with this forum), parts are everywhere, and you will get plenty of jealous looks from people.

Last edited by tjmaniez; 05-14-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:59 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I would avoid significantly modified cars. Since you have little mechanical experience with cars it is MUCH easier to learn when instructions and illustrations in the available manuals apply!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:45 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Ok. 12k to spend on a C3. Where do I begin..
1) forget anywhere N of the Mason-Dixon line in the East. Rust is a huge issue, seriously.
2) look to the SW, and still, look for rust. Rust repair will kill you.
3) 12k.... 1973 and up territory. So pick a yr you like, find the car with the most perfect paint, perfect interior, and perfect maintenance records.
Pretty simple
Do you want a 68-72 chrome bumper car? Many do. Reality, it would be twice your budget to get into a rust free, well maintained chrome bumper car.
I cannot understate this, Over my 59 yrs, I have lived from MI to CA to GA to MI to TX To AZ to NV. Buy a damn West coast car!!!!!
12k will get you into a great 1982. 12k wouldnt buy a running 1972. But.... Maybe a 1973 in need of love from S TX. Many guys (and gals) think a corvette is all fiberglass. Yes, the body panels are. But the underlying structure isnt. It rusts. And so many of these threads pop up here on guys buying these " cherry" corvettes only to discover the inner structure aka "birdcage" is so rusted out that the car is worthless. Ok. Why am I going on about this? Several recent threads about the condition of their recent purchases, how it looked great, but..... noticed some rust flaking.....
Buy a SW desert car!

Last edited by Sunstroked; 05-15-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:17 AM
Oldriceguy
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default They are out there

I did the very thing you are talking about two years ago. I had always wanted a C3, red, and 4 speed. It took a lot of looking and several months, but I found one not too far from home. I paid $11,900 for a '77 red L82 coupe with 4 speed. It was a garage queen with 70,000 miles on it. The guy got tired of it and developed other interests.

Someone had repainted it several years ago, but it looked great. It had the original drivetrain in it and leaked a little oil. Someone had also replaced the brake system on it from stem to stern. I've taken it to a couple of car shows where it was judged on a 100 point system. It scored 85 one time and 86 the next, so it's not a pristine show car but is very nice. And it's a blast to drive.

In the past two years I have done some repair work on it. I put new tires on it right off the bat (plan on new tires if they are very old, even if they look good). A blow out under a fiberglass fender wouldn't be good. Since I bought it, I replaced the front seal, harmonic balancer, crankshaft pulley, radiator, clutch and U-joints. All somewhat normal wear and tear items for a car of this age and mileage, but sure stopped a lot of leaks. The AC isn't so great, but T-tops take care of that for the most part. I have taken my car on 500 mile weekend trips and wouldn't be afraid of going farther.

With all that said, I think your expectations are very reachable if you look for a mid 70s and take your time. They are out there.

Last edited by Oldriceguy; 05-15-2017 at 01:21 AM. Reason: additional info
The following users liked this post:
JohnRogers (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

One nice thing about '77 and older, you can convert to removable rear window; pop it out, and yank the T tops, very similar to driving a convertible. Plus the sail panels really make the look of the car, in my opinion. Actually I prefer them to a convert.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by clypsedra
rastafford - I have my heart set on a manual; my main car is auto so I definitely want the manual for extra fun. Although I do like the idea of buying from reputable people on here!

I definitely will have to check out some books and stuff. I've already researched what to look for, but there is only so much you can gain by reading stuff.
I especially often find articles based on the idea that you will be doing some project work on the car, which I am not at all interested in. What I really want is to somehow end up lucky enough to come across someone's project that they finished that is taking up room in their garage or something.

theandies - I am really glad to hear someone with a similar situation. Although, I am a software/automation engineer that went to school for computer science, so I am way more programming than hands on stuff. I've never messed with a car my whole life.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I especially like the idea of asking someone from the area for help that I can find on here. I will have to lurk these forums for learning opportunities like you all suggested.

One more question: did you guys buy from a private seller, or from a classic car dealer? What would be a smarter move? Usually my policy with cars is half down, loan for the rest. I assume that would be easier with a dealer? Would a dealer be more trustworthy, or perhaps less trustworthy than someone who prized the car for a while?
I'm a freshman in college with 0 experience doing anything regarding mechanical anything. I was never taught, nothing. And to boot I was never mechanically inclined despite me wanting to be.

I bought myself a 1975 that needed a little bit of work and it's actually surprising how doable all of this is. There's guides for doing everything and as long as you follow instructions it's not bad at all. I'm just finishing up an in-car top-end engine rebuild among a bunch of other things and I'm smooth sailing for sure. If I can do that , I'm sure anyone can
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:19 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am willing to fix things myself and use this great forum as a resource - but I am not willing to buy something that needs immediate work to operate properly.

So, do you really think it is worth paying cash for a car? If I did that, I'd be pretty tight on cash. Do any of you guys know if it is possible to take out a small car loan like, independently from a dealer? I've seen websites of banks offering quotes but if someone has experience in that I'd be happy to hear.

At the current moment...I am not finding that perfect car. I have all my searches set up so I suppose it's just a matter of waiting. It is hard to believe that the perfect car is out there somewhere after all of this searching.

It's good to know I should stay away from heavily modified cars. I am a bit worried about all original cars because I assume that would mean imminent large repairs/replacements. I could still do new stuff, but not modified stuff, you think?

If I wanted to get something out in the desert, I would certainly need someone who knew what they were doing to help me out looking at it. Is it really that much of a difference to have a warm climate car?
Old 05-16-2017, 04:14 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

I am willing to fix things myself and use this great forum as a resource - but I am not willing to buy something that needs immediate work to operate properly.

So, do you really think it is worth paying cash for a car? If I did that, I'd be pretty tight on cash. Do any of you guys know if it is possible to take out a small car loan like, independently from a dealer? I've seen websites of banks offering quotes but if someone has experience in that I'd be happy to hear.

At the current moment...I am not finding that perfect car. I have all my searches set up so I suppose it's just a matter of waiting. It is hard to believe that the perfect car is out there somewhere after all of this searching.

It's good to know I should stay away from heavily modified cars. I am a bit worried about all original cars because I assume that would mean imminent large repairs/replacements. I could still do new stuff, but not modified stuff, you think?

If I wanted to get something out in the desert, I would certainly need someone who knew what they were doing to help me out looking at it. Is it really that much of a difference to have a warm climate car?
When it comes to used cars any dealer offering financing typically works with a finance company (not really a bank) that charges premium interest rates. It may prove difficult if not impossible to find anyone willing to finance a car of this age.

I've read numerous posts here from people who waited years to find the C3 that they wanted--the more specific your desire the longer you are liable to wait. 4-speed and driver condition for 12k will seriously limit your selection as you're pretty much limited to '74-'81. Only about 3,500 out of 37,000 produced in '74 (less than 10%) had a manual with automatics becoming ever more popular until they were discontinued in '82.

As long as you can inspect the car it's not difficult to find the sort of rust that signifies a big time problem. You do have to remove a few interior trim pieces but I'd be wary of sellers unwilling to remove them or let you remove under their view.

My '79 with about 47k came from central Illinois and has no serious rust problem. (There was a problem due to a poorly replaced windshield that would have become very serious but fortunately I found it in time and arrested it at little expense.) Windshield and T-top leaks are the most common culprits for birdcage rust and sitting for years over bare ground (whether or not in a building) is the most common cause of ladder frame rust. Sadly t-top leaks were nearly "standard equipment" and are very difficult to completely eliminate. Don't use a pressure washer on a C3 or take it through a drive-thru car wash...ever!!!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:17 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
When it comes to used cars any dealer offering financing typically works with a finance company (not really a bank) that charges premium interest rates. It may prove difficult if not impossible to find anyone willing to finance a car of this age.

I've read numerous posts here from people who waited years to find the C3 that they wanted--the more specific your desire the longer you are liable to wait. 4-speed and driver condition for 12k will seriously limit your selection as you're pretty much limited to '74-'81. Only about 3,500 out of 37,000 produced in '74 (less than 10%) had a manual with automatics becoming ever more popular until they were discontinued in '82.

As long as you can inspect the car it's not difficult to find the sort of rust that signifies a big time problem. You do have to remove a few interior trim pieces but I'd be wary of sellers unwilling to remove them or let you remove under their view.

My '79 with about 47k came from central Illinois and has no serious rust problem. (There was a problem due to a poorly replaced windshield that would have become very serious but fortunately I found it in time and arrested it at little expense.) Windshield and T-top leaks are the most common culprits for birdcage rust and sitting for years over bare ground (whether or not in a building) is the most common cause of ladder frame rust. Sadly t-top leaks were nearly "standard equipment" and are very difficult to completely eliminate. Don't use a pressure washer on a C3 or take it through a drive-thru car wash...ever!!!
So, I see a lot of people on here recommending to buy privately. It would be pretty impossible to get a small loan for something like that, you're saying? Would I be better off watching corvette dealer's inventory?

I don't want to wait too long to start my dream. In Wisconsin, summer is short, so I want one within the next moth or two otherwise I have to wait until next year (which would up my budget a bit, but still...)
If I wanted to compromise on something, what would you recommend? Some people here say don't compromise on the paint job, others say wait to get the manual transmission...
Like this one is awesome, good price and look, but a different color (and the seller hasn't replied to me): https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6117432082.html
this one is BEAUTIFUL but is auto-manual https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...rts&emc=alerts
this one is stunning but expensive https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-illinois.html
this one is cheap but has a very ugly interior http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/971609.html
this one is too expensive but perfect in every other way
http://www.classicridesandrods.net/i...l?VID=23290735

I look at all of these cars and just don't know what to do? Not being able to get financing restricts the heck out of me. I could only afford $10,000 if paying cash

Last edited by clypsedra; 05-16-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:15 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

I'm not certain about the availability of financing but I do suggest inquiring at a bank. While I wouldn't use all of my available cash for the down payment if you can give 75% or so down there should be zero problem IF the bank is willing to provide ANY financing for a car of this age. As far as the buyer is concerned (private or dealer) it will be a cash sale.

My experience with C3s is very limited. Even if it was far greater I would never give specific advice regarding ANY substantial purchase--car, home, boat, etc.--when I have no direct knowledge of the buyer, the seller or the item.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I took a loan from https://www.woodsidecredit.com/classic-car-loans/ for my 1969.

They did have a pre payment penalty so make sure you review the terms.

I really like the 73's but I wonder if the oldride could be a scam. It seems really cheap for what looks to be a super clean 73.

I ran into a few of those when I was searching. Time was it took me a year to find the right car and I've seen others take longer. Make it part of the education process.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

My credit union told me I could basically take out a loan based on the equity of my truck that I had almost paid off. In fact, I think I did that. What's your other car worth? There's potential loan power right there. Kind of like a car equity line of credit. And then i think I transferred that money from that into my checking. Lowest interest rate you'll probably get for money you're using for an old car unless you could do a HELOC. I wouldn't be afraid to add 12000 to what I owe on my house. My payment on a HELOC with a balance of 12000 would be $120 a month. I think you can do better.

Last edited by BarryB72; 05-16-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 PM
JohnnyQuik
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Personally I'd never buy a classic car from a dealer, but there are many with the opposite opinion. Concerning financing, the better your credit, the more options you have. Lightstream (now owned by Suntrust) is one source that will let you finance about any car and you keep the title. Basically it's an unsecured loan for people with good credit.

Last edited by JohnnyQuik; 05-16-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 862 Likes on 418 Posts

Default Buy a C3

This 1980 is in Northern Illinois. It is loaded with 52k miles and a 4-Speed. Within the last year it has had a new battery, tires, fuel pump, brake pads, front calipers, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and alternator. It is a nice driver in a great color combination. $12,000 or best. For more information email: turbo.jet427@yahoo.com
Attached Images   

Last edited by KingRat; 05-16-2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added year
Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

It's pretty easy to get a classic car loan. I did on mine when I bought it years ago because I wanted cash on hand to replace the interior and paint, etc.. There are a bunch of places out there that will do it.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

... Do any of you guys know if it is possible to take out a small car loan like, independently from a dealer? I've seen websites of banks offering quotes but if someone has experience in that I'd be happy to hear...
FWIW: if you are considering a loan for the car, start with your bank or credit union. Avoid finance companies and anything from a website.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 AM
73TexasVette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 73 a few months ago in fair condition for $7,800 so if you hunt around you can find a deal. Just make sure bubba hasn't owned the car before you acquired it or you'll be scratching your head wondering what the heck he was thinking.

Get notified of new replies

To I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Racine

I'm from southeastern Wisconsin! 30 minutes south of Milwaukee
My family is from Racine and I've spent quite a bit of time out there. Lake Michigan is beautiful when it isn't trying to kill you.

Your dollars will go further in a private sale and best to have the money squared away up front. Any car of that age will want more $$ so have a reserve.

Whenever I sell a vehicle a always have a folder with receipts & records and look for that whenever I buy one.

Birdcage - windshield frame rot was my biggest concern.

The world is in no danger of running out of Corvettes over the next six months so shop around.

Brats & beer for dinner tonight....

Good luck !

Last edited by pigfarmer; 05-19-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 AM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

rastafford - I have my heart set on a manual; my main car is auto so I definitely want the manual for extra fun. Although I do like the idea of buying from reputable people on here!

I definitely will have to check out some books and stuff. I've already researched what to look for, but there is only so much you can gain by reading stuff.
I especially often find articles based on the idea that you will be doing some project work on the car, which I am not at all interested in. What I really want is to somehow end up lucky enough to come across someone's project that they finished that is taking up room in their garage or something.

theandies - I am really glad to hear someone with a similar situation. Although, I am a software/automation engineer that went to school for computer science, so I am way more programming than hands on stuff. I've never messed with a car my whole life.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I especially like the idea of asking someone from the area for help that I can find on here. I will have to lurk these forums for learning opportunities like you all suggested.

One more question: did you guys buy from a private seller, or from a classic car dealer? What would be a smarter move? Usually my policy with cars is half down, loan for the rest. I assume that would be easier with a dealer? Would a dealer be more trustworthy, or perhaps less trustworthy than someone who prized the car for a while?
I can understand wanting the 4 speed. That was the one item I would not compromise on. I looked for 2 years to find mine. Don't get kicked in on private vs any dealer. Mine was at a small mom and pop used car dealership and they had bought it thru auto auction. Not what I was looking for originally, car has a lightly built NOM with computer stuff removed, high quality repaint in nonoriginal color, and all the suspension bushings were replaced. I got it for 8k and knew the paint alone would have been substantially more than that. Owned The car now for almost 7 years with no major problems. The deals are out there. You can find it.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I look at all of these cars and just don't know what to do? Not being able to get financing restricts the heck out of me. I could only afford $10,000 if paying cash
See PM I sent.

Quick Reply: I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.