C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 10:23 AM
clypsedra
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Ever since I was little, I wanted a beautiful curvy C3 stingray. I recently graduated college, got an engineering job, and my first practical car is one payment from being paid off. Now I finally am ready to get my dream car (before I have kids in a few years and continuously make excuses to not buy it).

I want to purchase one this year or next, and my budget would be around $12000 tops. Manual, nice paint, T-top, willing to compromise on interior quality and mileage for a sturdy drive. Problem is, I am not incredibly car savvy. I don't want a project car, just something cool to drive in the few nice months (I live in Wisconsin). Everyone I talk to seems quite negative about my dream, saying that I'll be throwing money at it constantly, and it will be breaking down, and I will have to get constant repairs.

So, I really need the opinions of those who have actually purchased C3s and have actual advice for me. What am I getting myself into? Can you spare any advice on purchasing your first C3 and what to expect, and how to get a good car that won't need too much work (or is too much work inevitable with an old car)?
Old 05-12-2017, 12:05 PM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If the auto trans is not a dealbreaker and could stretch the budget, this would be perfect. Ron is a class act.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ers-match.html

Good luck in your search.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by clypsedra
...What am I getting myself into?...
Why not start by getting into books?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-12-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:36 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

For around that money you should be able to get a decent C3 that is not going to break down all the time. Like anything take care of it and it will last. Buy a fixer upper and yes you will be spending money by the best you can afford and you should be good to go. My $.02 worth
Old 05-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Why not starting by getting into books?

Mike you forgot this VERY important one-

First of all- you can lurk the threads here-and get a LOT of insight. Plus there are several experts here that would be glad to help you with your purchase (money-beer-food usually works!!!).

Hey- it's your dream...sounds like you have the finances- so do it!!!

For the money you are talking -you can buy a nice -reliable plastic bumper car. AND don't think of it as an investment- it is NOT- they are for you to enjoy and if you break even you are ahead of the game.
The people you meet - car guys/gals is priceless.

AND with the internet- you can find EVERYTHING about these cars- if you are willing to learn- you'll be surprised how simple they are to work on.

GOOD Luck!!!

Corvette owner since I was 15-

Richard
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:20 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Don't let anyone stop your dreams.

I was in similar shape (not just out of collage.....a few years later) when I bought mine. Married a few years and a kid on the way. I bought mine 1 month before my first son was born. Had I waited I'd probably still be waiting.

You said you have an engineering job. I'm an engineer too but I've always been mechanically inclined and have been working on all my cars since before I was 16. Don't let lack of knowledge or experience stop you. You can lean how to do anything on these old cars and this forum is a great network of experts.

There are plenty of low budget mid to late '70's Corvettes driver cars out there. Get a hold of a forum member near you or check out the local Corvette Club in your area. There are members here or in clubs that will be more than willing to go look at cars with you (or for you if it's far away). They know what they are looking at and can keep you from buying that wolf in sheep's clothing project car so you don't get ripped off.

Good luck and post pictures when you get it.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:58 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Lots of reading and go look at cars available in your area.

You will start to recognize junk, fresh paint on top of junk, and a well sorted car.

Reliability will be based on how well it was taken care of or restored.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Jbster
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ever since I was little, I wanted a beautiful curvy C3 stingray. I recently graduated college, got an engineering job, and my first practical car is one payment from being paid off. Now I finally am ready to get my dream car (before I have kids in a few years and continuously make excuses to not buy it).

I want to purchase one this year or next, and my budget would be around $12000 tops. Manual, nice paint, T-top, willing to compromise on interior quality and mileage for a sturdy drive. Problem is, I am not incredibly car savvy. I don't want a project car, just something cool to drive in the few nice months (I live in Wisconsin). Everyone I talk to seems quite negative about my dream, saying that I'll be throwing money at it constantly, and it will be breaking down, and I will have to get constant repairs.

So, I really need the opinions of those who have actually purchased C3s and have actual advice for me. What am I getting myself into? Can you spare any advice on purchasing your first C3 and what to expect, and how to get a good car that won't need too much work (or is too much work inevitable with an old car)?
Spend more time reading here and in the Tech/Performance section to see what the common problems are and what folks are working on. Any C3 you get is going to be between 35 and 49 years old. Just about everything on a vehicle that old is either going to need replacing or has already been replaced. If you find a car you like, have a good mechanic check it out before you buy it.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:30 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume this will not be your daily driver. For $12K you should be able to find a reliable later year C3 that's perfect for the weekends.

I've had my '82 for 12 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. A couple weeks ago I added a C5 red convertible to the garage. Friends and family gave me some unsolicited opinions about having "too many" cars as if it's any of their business.

My advice is to live your dreams now. No get out there and find that Vette! :-D
Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

rastafford - I have my heart set on a manual; my main car is auto so I definitely want the manual for extra fun. Although I do like the idea of buying from reputable people on here!

I definitely will have to check out some books and stuff. I've already researched what to look for, but there is only so much you can gain by reading stuff.
I especially often find articles based on the idea that you will be doing some project work on the car, which I am not at all interested in. What I really want is to somehow end up lucky enough to come across someone's project that they finished that is taking up room in their garage or something.

theandies - I am really glad to hear someone with a similar situation. Although, I am a software/automation engineer that went to school for computer science, so I am way more programming than hands on stuff. I've never messed with a car my whole life.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I especially like the idea of asking someone from the area for help that I can find on here. I will have to lurk these forums for learning opportunities like you all suggested.

One more question: did you guys buy from a private seller, or from a classic car dealer? What would be a smarter move? Usually my policy with cars is half down, loan for the rest. I assume that would be easier with a dealer? Would a dealer be more trustworthy, or perhaps less trustworthy than someone who prized the car for a while?
Old 05-12-2017, 02:40 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

TexasYankee - That's what I like to hear! Definitely not going to be a daily driver - winter is 8 months out of the year here, though I will probably give it some good attention in the summers. I will be getting classic car insurance if possible and I don't think they let you drive it all the time anyways.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:24 PM
tomvr
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

A C3 in your budget will likely be 76 and newer. Do your research on the year to year changes. I stayed away from 81 and 82 to avoid computer and the cross fire injection issues. I'm sure someone has suggested it but read the 10 rules for buying a C3. It should be in the sticky threads on this site.
I bought a 78 L82 4 spd car. It has 77,000 original garage kept miles. I would strongly recommend a garage kept from new car. I have none of the ground issues or vacuum issues so many of these cars have. I credit that to being protected from the weather all these years. I would also avoid cars with excessively low miles. My car had been driven sparingly but regularly over the years so I haven't had the leaks that often occur after any car has been sitting for a long period.
I've only put 4,000 miles on mine but they have been trouble free. It may be a Vette but it's still a chevy so they're pretty dependable. The only issues you'll have in a Vette you wouldn't have in a caprice are ground and vacuum...both of which can be a hassle but neither of which is going to leave you stranded.
Congrats on your degree. Not sure what kind of engineer you are but I deal with structural and geo-technical engineers in my job. Very interesting fields.
Good luck finding your perfect Vette. Keep us advised.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:35 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

i agree with the garage kept theory . Get a manual transmisison , way more fun , if your down on late model horses. Remember metal body pans came after 1974. ....so more rust issues. Convertibles cost more but for me they are the ultimate TOY . Drive a few . Check out estate sales . guys die and leave they prize toys to kids who don't want them . I seen corvettes given away just to get the problem out of the way of what to do with daddys toys. MY FATHER IN LAWS restored Monte Carlo went for 7500.00 after he spent 24K restoring it . Buy a car somebody else put the money into.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:33 AM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Hey fellow cheese head where in Wis. are you?
Vettedreamer74 (05-27-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 10:50 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Originally Posted by jr73
Hey fellow cheese head where in Wis. are you?
I'm from southeastern Wisconsin! 30 minutes south of Milwaukee
Vettedreamer74 (05-27-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 11:01 PM
19Shark79
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

rastafford - I have my heart set on a manual; my main car is auto so I definitely want the manual for extra fun. Although I do like the idea of buying from reputable people on here!

I definitely will have to check out some books and stuff. I've already researched what to look for, but there is only so much you can gain by reading stuff.
I especially often find articles based on the idea that you will be doing some project work on the car, which I am not at all interested in. What I really want is to somehow end up lucky enough to come across someone's project that they finished that is taking up room in their garage or something.

theandies - I am really glad to hear someone with a similar situation. Although, I am a software/automation engineer that went to school for computer science, so I am way more programming than hands on stuff. I've never messed with a car my whole life.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I especially like the idea of asking someone from the area for help that I can find on here. I will have to lurk these forums for learning opportunities like you all suggested.

One more question: did you guys buy from a private seller, or from a classic car dealer? What would be a smarter move? Usually my policy with cars is half down, loan for the rest. I assume that would be easier with a dealer? Would a dealer be more trustworthy, or perhaps less trustworthy than someone who prized the car for a while?

I would stay away from classic car dealers. Your going to pay top dollar for the cars. You will get more for your money from a private seller. The estate sales are a great place to look, on the forum here, craigslist, and word of mouth. Regardless, read the guide on what to look for in a C3 and then post as many photos as you can here or put out an APB on here to find someone who would be willing to meet you to take a look at it. They may charge you a fee, but better to pay a small fee than to take on a headache that will cost you thousands.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:28 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm from southeastern Wisconsin! 30 minutes south of Milwaukee
wow you're right on the state line
the only time I'm in that neck of the woods is when I take the Amtrack in to Chicago for a weekend of play

Get notified of new replies

To I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:12 AM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I am close to Beloit, so not that far away. I looked for a year, and knew of the one I finally got for about 5 months. Drove to Springfield il to look, and get it. Found a few things on inspection when I got it home, to think I was lucky to make it. I bought mine with the idea of working on it, and that is what I do to enjoy it the 4-5 months I can't drive it.
While you may not be mechanically inclined, you get a bit more appreciation of it when you do things to it. This is a great site for info and support, and you can always learn something.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2017, 07:24 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

http://www.hollywoodmotorsusa.com/19...6/Details.aspx

This is my old car I traded in for my 72. This car is all brand new. All you have to do is get in it and drive. 355, 4 speed. New everything.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I few words of advice. First, save your money and pay CASH only for your dream car. 12K is a very reasonable budget for a good running and driving later C3. I too held out for a manual for the exact reasons you did. While it was 12 years ago, I don't think values have changed much, and I paid 7500 for my 79. It was very good running and driving car, the biggest thing it needed was paint. It needed lots of picking and piddling things I call them, like fixing the speedo, headlights that wouldn't go up on their own, back up lights, etc, etc, etc. Spend lots of time reading right here and learning as much as you can about these cars, you'll be surprised what you can fix yourself. If you have to pay someone to fix everything, you're going to be broke very quickly. I still would leave a couple grand in reserve to fix things. There will be things that need repair, or that you want to repair. Good luck and ask lots of questions!

Quick Reply: I want to buy a C3 - but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.